Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Buying Property in Ireland (ROI)

Buying Property in Ireland (ROI)

Old May 12th 2018, 7:26 am
Just Joined

2018Mountains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying Property in Ireland (ROI)

Be Warned!!
I am buying a cottage on the west coast of Ireland in a rural spot.
I am now on month 11 since having put an offer in.
The hold up is the land registry as they are very slow, a bit like a ceased up, rusty old machine, grinding along but only just (or maybe they are just slackers, I am not sure which).
So if the property you are trying to buy has never claimed the right of way then you may be in for a long wait for the land registry to process it. These unclaimed rights of way must be claimed by 2021 - check it out.
I have spoken to a lot of people during the last year of waiting and they all say "oh yes it could easily take a year to buy a property in Ireland"
So be warned.
It's not like the UK (or anywhere else) the bureaucracy will drive you mad if you are used to things working in a timely manner.
Old May 14th 2018, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Property in Ireland (ROI)

Originally Posted by 2018Mountains
Be Warned!!
I am buying a cottage on the west coast of Ireland in a rural spot.
I am now on month 11 since having put an offer in.
The hold up is the land registry as they are very slow, a bit like a ceased up, rusty old machine, grinding along but only just (or maybe they are just slackers, I am not sure which).
So if the property you are trying to buy has never claimed the right of way then you may be in for a long wait for the land registry to process it. These unclaimed rights of way must be claimed by 2021 - check it out.
I have spoken to a lot of people during the last year of waiting and they all say "oh yes it could easily take a year to buy a property in Ireland"
So be warned.
It's not like the UK (or anywhere else) the bureaucracy will drive you mad if you are used to things working in a timely manner.
Sure it's frustrating, but if you buy a property that relies on right of way and not yet registered, it's always going to be a problem (in any country).The hold up is often not only the land registry, but in many cases also your solicitor who can't get the paperwork together, or is always missing something. Even in the UK, you'll find people waiting for over a year and while I agree that some staff at the land registry don't always have knowledge, solicitors can be just as bad.