Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Looking for what evidence I need for Irish Citizenship through descent?

Looking for what evidence I need for Irish Citizenship through descent?

Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

outteruniverse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for what evidence I need for Irish Citizenship through descent?

I have been looking for someone who is maybe going through the same process as I am as I have been looking online but as of yet to find anyone. I am in the process of gathering information for Irish Citizenship since finding out that I qualify through descent, however its quite complex and wondering if anyone has ever been though the process of applying for Irish Citizenship through descent or anyone knows how to go about it?

My questions are

1) does anyone have a link of where to apply on line or a link of the form to fill in and download?

2) What evidence is required?

3) I read somewhere I need 3 Irish references? however I don't know anyone personally who lives in Ireland.

I would be very grateful if someone can help
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for what evidence I need for Irish Citizenship through descent?

Here is the website.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx

My kids got theirs because their dad was Irish. As I recall they needed our long form birth certificates, our marriage certificate and the long forms for their birth certificates. They applied to the Irish Embassy in Ottawa and had their passports in two weeks - faster than a Canadian passport. Our son now works in the UK on this Irish passport.

Last edited by thistlehollyberry; Feb 19th 2013 at 1:50 am. Reason: wrong link
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:13 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for what evidence I need for Irish Citizenship through descent?

Originally Posted by outteruniverse
I have been looking for someone who is maybe going through the same process as I am as I have been looking online but as of yet to find anyone. I am in the process of gathering information for Irish Citizenship since finding out that I qualify through descent, however its quite complex and wondering if anyone has ever been though the process of applying for Irish Citizenship through descent or anyone knows how to go about it?

My questions are

1) does anyone have a link of where to apply on line or a link of the form to fill in and download?

2) What evidence is required?

3) I read somewhere I need 3 Irish references? however I don't know anyone personally who lives in Ireland.

I would be very grateful if someone can help
All you need is an original copy of your Grandparents birth certificate, money, and the application form.
I applied for an Irish passport using my Fathers birth certificate, and 2 weeks later I had my Irish passport.
My Cousin applied for an Irish passport using his Grandfathers birth certificate, and 2 weeks later he had his Irish passport.
It is as simple as that.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need the parents' birth certificate as well - how could you prove that you were the grandchild?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:25 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
I think you need the parents' birth certificate as well - how could you prove that you were the grandchild?
Your birth certificate with the same surname does that fine.
If the names don't match, then a marriage certificate will suffice.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Having the same surname does not prove that you are related. I know of someone else who claimed citzenship from a grandparent and had to also submit parent's birth certificate as well as the grandfather.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:40 am
Banned

Having the same surname does not prove that you are related. I know of someone else who claimed citzenship from a grandparent and had to also submit parent's birth certificate as well as the grandfather.
You know someone?
So someone told you a story, and you believe someone told you a true story.
Read what I say in my posts, take your time as I have been on here since 2011.
I base what I say on fact, 32 years living in England; and the last 4 years living in Ireland. No stories from someone with me, just fact; based on my real life personal experiences.
I have an Irish passport, all I needed was my Fathers birth certificate.
My Cousin didn't have his parents birth certificates, so he applied using 1. His Grandfather's birth certificate, and 2. His parents marriage certificate.
Now do you understand what is needed in either scenario?
Don't take my word for it though, apply and find out its fact yourself.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

I live in Canada - my sons received their Irish citzenship through the embassy in Ottawa. They were teenagers so I coordinated their applications. I know what they needed! The other person i spoke of is a good friend who obtained it. He now lives in Austria. Maybe the Irish embassy in Ottawa are a little more diligent in checking facts.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:55 am
Banned

I live in Canada - my sons received their Irish citzenship through the embassy in Ottawa. They were teenagers so I coordinated their applications. I know what they needed! The other person i spoke of is a good friend who obtained it. He now lives in Austria. Maybe the Irish embassy in Ottawa are a little more diligent in checking facts.
OK so you have answered all your own questions and don't need my help or advise then.
Well best of luck, no need to thank me as you know best. Stay in Canada, there is work there.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
My Cousin didn't have his parents birth certificates, so he applied using 1. His Grandfather's birth certificate, and 2. His parents marriage certificate.
Now do you understand what is needed in either scenario?
If his only tie was due to having a grandparent, he needed to become an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration.

If he didn't do that, then he's not an Irish citizen and having an Irish passport issued doesn't change that. It just means that the passport was issued by mistake to a non-citizen.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JAJ
If his only tie was due to having a grandparent, he needed to become an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration.

If he didn't do that, then he's not an Irish citizen and having an Irish passport issued doesn't change that. It just means that the passport was issued by mistake to a non-citizen.
(His parents were Irish).
Please re-read my posts.
He is both and Irish citizen, and an Irish passport holder.
(Irish Grandparents, Irish parents).
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
(His parents were Irish).
Please re-read my posts.
He is both and Irish citizen, and an Irish passport holder.
(Irish Grandparents, Irish parents).

If his Irish parents were themselves born outside the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, then he needs to have completed the Foreign Births Registration process. No registration = no citizenship. Perhaps read the 1956 Act or consult an immigration lawyer?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

outteruniverse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm for me its through my Grandfather, so I am looking for the exact form I need. I have requested his birth certificate so am waiting for that and also my Dads, but my Dad was born in England. So if anyone has an exact link to the exact form I need I would be more than grateful.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=88045

Did you read through his website?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by outteruniverse
Hmm for me its through my Grandfather, so I am looking for the exact form I need. I have requested his birth certificate so am waiting for that and also my Dads, but my Dad was born in England. So if anyone has an exact link to the exact form I need I would be more than grateful.

Let me Google that for you.
Next you will be asking for someone to fill the form in for you.
Seriously, click on the link. All you need to know (and more) is there.
No need for you to have it spoon fed to you is there?
If I managed to get my Irish passport while living in London, you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.