Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Looking for what evidence I need for Irish Citizenship through descent?

Looking for what evidence I need for Irish Citizenship through descent?

Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

terrygees366 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for what evidence I need for Irish Citizenship through descent?

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=88045

Did you read through his website?
So what about a person (me) whose father was born in Eire but I wasn't, as this site doesn't address that situation.

"A person born abroad to a parent who, although not born in Ireland, was otherwise an Irish citizen at the time of the person’s birth"
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for what evidence I need for Irish Citizenship through descent?

Originally Posted by terrygees366
So what about a person (me) whose father was born in Eire but I wasn't, as this site doesn't address that situation.

"A person born abroad to a parent who, although not born in Ireland, was otherwise an Irish citizen at the time of the person’s birth"
I don't think you are reading this correctly. Your father was born in Ireland, you were born abroad, therefore, you are entitled to claim Irish citizenship. Even your children are entitled to Irish citizenship.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
I don't think you are reading this correctly. Your father was born in Ireland, you were born abroad, therefore, you are entitled to claim Irish citizenship. Even your children are entitled to Irish citizenship.
Thanks for your reply but I was referring to the link which doesn't address the question of the relevant forms required for a person seeking a passport where the parent was born in The Republic.
It only refers to, as far as I could read, children of an Irish national where the Irish national was born outside of The Republic.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by terrygees366
Thanks for your reply but I was referring to the link which doesn't address the question of the relevant forms required for a person seeking a passport where the parent was born in The Republic. It only refers to, as far as I could read, children of an Irish national where the Irish national was born outside of The Republic.
The page you refer to is about applying for Irish citizenship, not an Irish passport. It is intended for those people who are not citizens but are entitled to register as such.

A person born outside the island of Ireland who has at least one Irish parent born on the island of Ireland is automatically an Irish citizen by descent, and does not therefore need to go through the foreign births registration process. (Note that Irish nationality law extends to Northern Ireland.)

If you're after a passport, and are already an Irish citizen, then just apply for one at your local consulate.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brioche
The page you refer to is about applying for Irish citizenship, not an Irish passport. It is intended for those people who are not citizens but are entitled to register as such.

A person born outside the island of Ireland who has at least one Irish parent born on the island of Ireland is automatically an Irish citizen by descent, and does not therefore need to go through the foreign births registration process. (Note that Irish nationality law extends to Northern Ireland.)

If you're after a passport, and are already an Irish citizen, then just apply for one at your local consulate.

Many thanks for your help.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:59 pm
To the point.

goosegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps this might be of help to a few

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000024

It helps my husband - his parents were born in Ireland but he was born in UK = Irish citizen.
So he can get a Eire passport with - (If born outside Ireland to a parent born on the island of Ireland the form of your civil birth certificate which shows the names of your parents (the long form) and
the long form civil birth certificate of your Irish born parent and, if applicable, your parents’ civil marriage certificate.) Taken from Eire passport page.

Now me (here's the complication which I've got to ask about) - I'm UK born, Uk parents but married to himself for years (a Irish Citizen). Can I apply for my Irish passport and how. My UK passport is due to run out in November and would prefer a Irish one as we'll be living there.

Any other UK person married a Irish citizen & sorted out that one?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goosegirl
Now me (here's the complication which I've got to ask about) - I'm UK born, Uk parents but married to himself for years (a Irish Citizen). Can I apply for my Irish passport and how.
It used to be possible to acquire Irish citizenship through marriage, but that's no longer the case.

Once you've lived there for a while you could apply for naturalisation. The residence requirement is three years, rather than five, for the spouse of an Irish citizen.

If you had any Irish-born grandparents then you could apply for foreign births registration.

My UK passport is due to run out in November and would prefer a Irish one as we'll be living there.
In terms of tangible benefits, Irish citizenship doesn't give you much more than British citizenship in Ireland. You can vote in presidential elections and referendums, but I think that's about it.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 11:50 pm
To the point.

Thanks Brioche.

We have been married since 2003.No, I haven't any Irish relatives as such except uncles, I'm the English mongrel breed I'm afraid to say! Never really thought about it till now and we want to live there. I just thought it would be less complicated getting a Irish passport and living in Ireland! I messaged the embassy about the passports anyhow.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:24 pm
To the point.

I've just found this from here http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/Ho...118187334.html, may be useful to someone which includes me.

Marriage to Irish citizen

You are also entitled to Irish citizenship if you are married to an Irish citizen.

To claim citizenship by marriage, you must meet the following conditions: you must be married to an Irish citizen for at least three years; you must have had one year of "continuous residence" on the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application; and finally, you must have been living on the island of Ireland for at least two of the four years before that year of continuous residence.

If you were born outside of Ireland and either your mother or father (or both) was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are entitled to Irish citizenship.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/Ho...#ixzz2WPAoRfui
Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook
Old Aug 17th 2013, 11:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by outteruniverse
Hmm for me its through my Grandfather, so I am looking for the exact form I need. I have requested his birth certificate so am waiting for that and also my Dads, but my Dad was born in England. So if anyone has an exact link to the exact form I need I would be more than grateful.

I've bumped this up & thought it may be usful fir those want ting get that birth certificate of a Grandparent

http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm