Reload this Page >

Looking to move to dublin

Looking to move to dublin

Old Mar 25th 2013, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Vikdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to dublin

Hi

I'm new and just after any advice or info anyone has.

Myself and my husband have both secured jobs in dublin working with the same company that we both work for now in the uk.

We are looking at moving to santry as this would be close to work.

We have a 10 year old son who would be coming with us.

We have private healthcare sorted.

We will be on approx €55,000 joint income per year.

Is this do able to live on ect and would I be able to find a good school in the city centre?

Any other info or advice you can offer would be great, this is going to be a fairly quick move and we are very overwhelmed right now especially with things like pps number and bank accounts.

Really sorry if this isn't the right place to post

Xx
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

nolanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to dublin

Go to Kings Inn Street LO, Parnell St, Dublin 1 for the PPS numbers.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 1:13 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vikdan View Post
Hi

I'm new and just after any advice or info anyone has.

Myself and my husband have both secured jobs in dublin working with the same company that we both work for now in the uk.

We are looking at moving to santry as this would be close to work.

We have a 10 year old son who would be coming with us.

We have private healthcare sorted.

We will be on approx €55,000 joint income per year.

Is this do able to live on ect and would I be able to find a good school in the city centre?

Any other info or advice you can offer would be great, this is going to be a fairly quick move and we are very overwhelmed right now especially with things like pps number and bank accounts.

Really sorry if this isn't the right place to post

Xx
Santry is rough, its too close to Ballymun and Fingal. Google those areas for news reports to get an idea. Suffice it to say, Santry is not a place where I would want a 10 year old son growing up. Swords is better, and still close to Santry for your work. Finding a good school in the North side of Dublin is no problem, but expect to pay well for private education. The Catholic state schools in the North side are no good. 55,000 Euro for a couple with a child will be tight living in Dublin. Rent will be the biggest single cost. Budget on 1200 per month for a decent place. Opening a bank account in day with AIB is no problem, just buy a TV licence in your nearest post office, and use that as proof of address with your passport as photo ID.
Your nearest dole office (to Santry) is Ballymun, and you can apply for a PPS number there. They write out in 7 days with your number, and you get your card a week after that. All your employer needs is the number to set up your tax to
the Revenue. They will sort all that out once you have a bank account.
I wish you the best of luck with your move.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Joe Soap
Santry is rough, its too close to Ballymun and Fingal. Google those areas for news reports to get an idea. Suffice it to say, Santry is not a place where I would want a 10 year old son growing up. Swords is better, and still close to Santry for your work. Finding a good school in the North side of Dublin is no problem, but expect to pay well for private education. The Catholic state schools in the North side are no good. 55,000 Euro for a couple with a child will be tight living in Dublin. Rent will be the biggest single cost. Budget on 1200 per month for a decent place. Opening a bank account in day with AIB is no problem, just buy a TV licence in your nearest post office, and use that as proof of address with your passport as photo ID.
Your nearest dole office (to Santry) is Ballymun, and you can apply for a PPS number there. They write out in 7 days with your number, and you get your card a week after that. All your employer needs is the number to set up your tax to
the Revenue. They will sort all that out once you have a bank account.
I wish you the best of luck with your move.
Thank you for your response, we were told santry from people that work with our company. Our company is based in dublin 4. I was looking more at the rush & lusk areas myself but need to weigh up the public transport for commute into work.

We are lucky that we get the private health care and other perks of the job to keep our budget in tact but thought that, that kind of income would be ok?

I had it down as roughly ( so please correct me if I'm way out)

Rent 1400
Gas/elect 150
Commute 200
Food 200
Car running 200
Refuse collection 100
Insurance (home) 100

Total 2350 leaving about 1000 a month after a rough work out on how much we would take home after tax

I'm guessing by your response I've missed something big?

Thank you for the bank and pps info

Vikki
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:23 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response, we were told santry from people that work with our company. Our company is based in dublin 4. I was looking more at the rush & lusk areas myself but need to weigh up the public transport for commute into work.

We are lucky that we get the private health care and other perks of the job to keep our budget in tact but thought that, that kind of income would be ok?

Rent 1400
Gas/elect 150
Commute 200
Food 200
Car running 200
Refuse collection 100
Insurance (home) 100

Total 2350 leaving about 1000 a month after a rough work out on how much we would take home after tax

Vikki
Firstly as Sean M has said Santry is not the best place to live. Also if you work in Dublin 4 which is Ballsbridge, Sandymount, Donnybrook area why in the name of god would you want to live out on the Northside? The only benefit of Santry is the airport. You need to look to rent on the southside of Dublin.

Rent €1400 Yes
Gas / Elec €150 maybe
Commute €200 If you live near job yes.
Food € 200 €50 a week for three people too low, at least double that.
Car Running €200 Depends what car
Refuse €100 About €300 a year in Roscommon. Check locally.
Home Insurance About €300 a year Roscommon, More in Dublin

If you have a 2 litre car they'll have their hand out for €711 a year road tax, insurance €500. Water charges coming soon. Rents will probably rise as landlords will try and cover property tax outgoings.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:10 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sickntired View Post
Firstly as Sean M has said Santry is not the best place to live. Also if you work in Dublin 4 which is Ballsbridge, Sandymount, Donnybrook area why in the name of god would you want to live out on the Northside? The only benefit of Santry is the airport. You need to look to rent on the southside of Dublin.

Rent €1400 Yes
Gas / Elec €150 maybe
Commute €200 If you live near job yes.
Food € 200 €50 a week for three people too low, at least double that.
Car Running €200 Depends what car
Refuse €100 About €300 a year in Roscommon. Check locally.
Home Insurance About €300 a year Roscommon, More in Dublin

If you have a 2 litre car they'll have their hand out for €711 a year road tax, insurance €500. Water charges coming soon. Rents will probably rise as landlords will try and cover property tax outgoings.
Agreed. Heed this good advice, its 100% accurate.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:21 pm
Banned

Rent 1400
Gas/elect 150
Commute 200
Food 200
Car running 200
Refuse collection 100
Insurance (home) 100

Vikki
I am going to explain something really basic, but remember it as it will serve you well.
Postcodes North of the River Liffey are all odd numbers.
Postcodes South of the River Liffey are all even numbers.
So if your job is in Dublin 4, then you will want to look at postcodes with even numbers for a place to live.
I lived in Malahide (North side), and commuted to a job in Dublin 2; so I think I am in a good position to advise you about commuting.
Don't live on the North side if you have jobs on the South side of Dublin city.
It can (and will) take you over 1 hour to cross the city, then add another hour to get in or out of the city on top of that. Commuting from Santry to D4 is not viable.
Rent in D4, work in D4. This makes sense. D4 is one of the best parts of Dublin, Santry is one of the worst. Why would you want to raise your 10 year old in a bad part of Dublin? And then add to the stress of daily life with a dreadful commute?
Try rent.ie and daft.ie and search for properties for rent in D4. Forget about Santry. Who ever gave you that advice is having a laugh at you, or they are genuinely stupid.
Rent in D4 is high as its one of the best parts of Dublin, so factor 1200-1400 per month into your accounting.
Your estimate of running a car is way off too.
Insurance, car tax, NCT, fuel; will cost you way more than you have budgetted on. Try 200 Euro per week, rather than per month!
When I emigrated I drove a Mercedes E320 CDI. Now I drive a 1.4 litre Ford Focus. Its very telling, you do the maths.
Don't take my word for it though, take a look on Google street view at Santry, then do the same for D4. Make your own mind up where you want your 10 year old to grow up. Its a moot point.

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Mar 26th 2013 at 3:24 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

I am going to explain something really basic, but remember it as it will serve you well.
Postcodes North of the River Liffey are all odd numbers.
Postcodes South of the River Liffey are all even numbers.
So if your job is in Dublin 4, then you will want to look at postcodes with even numbers for a place to live.
I lived in Malahide (North side), and commuted to a job in Dublin 2; so I think I am in a good position to advise you about commuting.
Don't live on the North side if you have jobs on the South side of Dublin city.
It can (and will) take you over 1 hour to cross the city, then add another hour to get in or out of the city on top of that. Commuting from Santry to D4 is not viable.
Rent in D4, work in D4. This makes sense. D4 is one of the best parts of Dublin, Santry is one of the worst. Why would you want to raise your 10 year old in a bad part of Dublin? And then add to the stress of daily life with a dreadful commute?
Try rent.ie and daft.ie and search for properties for rent in D4. Forget about Santry. Who ever gave you that advice is having a laugh at you, or they are genuinely stupid.
Rent in D4 is high as its one of the best parts of Dublin, so factor 1200-1400 per month into your accounting.
Your estimate of running a car is way off too.
Insurance, car tax, NCT, fuel; will cost you way more than you have budgetted on. Try 200 Euro per week, rather than per month!
When I emigrated I drove a Mercedes E320 CDI. Now I drive a 1.4 litre Ford Focus. Its very telling, you do the maths.
Don't take my word for it though, take a look on Google street view at Santry, then do the same for D4. Make your own mind up where you want your 10 year old to grow up. Its a moot point.
South of the Liffey are indeed even numbers (postcodes)

The areas I would suggest you look to rent are

D4 Ballsbridge (expensive)
D6 Rathgar, Rathmines, Ranelagh.
D14 Goatstown, Stillorgan, Terenure, Templeogue.
D16 Knocklyon
D18 Foxrock, Carrickmines, Cabinteely, Stepaside, Leopardstown.

The areas I suggest you don't go to are

D8 Dolphins Barn
D10 Ballyfermot
D12 Bluebell, Drimnagh, Crumlin, Walkinstown.
D22 Clondalkin
D24 Tallaght

Good luck.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:43 pm
Banned

Don't take my word for it about Santry. Your friend knows best right?
Here is a taste of what to expect:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0915/306177-flanagane/
Old Mar 26th 2013, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis View Post
Don't take my word for it about Santry. Your friend knows best right?
Here is a taste of what to expect:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0915/306177-flanagane/
That's why I was here for advice not that I didnt give A where my son grew up.
People said when we mentioned santry that it was ok - I wasn't taking anyone's word for gospel. I feel a little off put by the responses!

As for the car we only have a 1.4 now an certainly not a merc!

I'm under no delusions that the way of living is expensive in Dublin - I'm coming on two wages and certainly won't be taking any handouts so if the car goes it goes it's a luxury item which we can live without.

I thank the others for there input on areas I will have a good look at these. I'm am coming to Dublin in two weeks for the first time and was planning on visiting areas then.

Apart from the food that was pointed out I might need more from my budget is there anything else that you would need (not luxury) to live in Dublin?

Like I say we get full private health care and we also get broadband and tv free.

So just wondering if its do able on that wage?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 5:30 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Our company is based in dublin 4.i
South side is much nicer than the north side. The DART runs all the way through SE Dublin to my old town, Greystones.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Londonuck View Post
South side is much nicer than the north side. The DART runs all the way through SE Dublin to my old town, Greystones.
OOh you little snob lol. True, there's the odd area Northside which is ok. Well can only think of three off the top of my head. Malahide, Howth, Portmarnock.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

nolanger is an unknown quantity at this point

No mention of Glasnevin?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nolanger View Post
No mention of Glasnevin?

Nice crematorium there to be sure.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

That's why I was here for advice not that I didnt give A where my son grew up.
People said when we mentioned santry that it was ok - I wasn't taking anyone's word for gospel. I feel a little off put by the responses!

As for the car we only have a 1.4 now an certainly not a merc!

I'm under no delusions that the way of living is expensive in Dublin - I'm coming on two wages and certainly won't be taking any handouts so if the car goes it goes it's a luxury item which we can live without.

I thank the others for there input on areas I will have a good look at these. I'm am coming to Dublin in two weeks for the first time and was planning on visiting areas then.

Apart from the food that was pointed out I might need more from my budget is there anything else that you would need (not luxury) to live in Dublin?

Like I say we get full private health care and we also get broadband and tv free.

So just wondering if its do able on that wage?
I think that the people who said Santry was ok maybe live there and find no problems - that's fine but in general it's not great. It is even more ridiculous if you start a job on the Southside and intentionally decide to reside Northside.

Please don't interpret all advice that Sean Mac gives as being negative, he is trying to emphasise certain things which you should take note of. He can be ham-fisted as can we all. His point was, and I agree that in your circumstances you should be looking to rent Southside and send your child to be schooled in the same area.

Yes it is very doable, and you will have a far better life here than you would in the UK. If you take heed.