Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Long conveyancing process

Long conveyancing process

Old Jul 7th 2016, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

JeffandAnne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long conveyancing process

We are hoping to move from UK to the Galway area in the not too distant future. I've just been reading a thread about the protracted amount of time it can take to buy in Ireland which has really worried me.

We would hopefully not be buying a repossession as by the sound of it the time it takes wouldn't make it viable. I would be interested to hear other people's experiences as I am wondering how we would hold onto a buyer at this end. We have moved several times and it has never taken more than 3 months from start to finish; I presume most people in this country would expect that sort of time frame.

I'm sure it would be easier to move into rented to begin with but we don't particularly want to go down that route.

Thanks for any replies. Anne
Old Sep 26th 2016, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

molly1664 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Long conveyancing process

Hi Anne
It's been a while since you posted so it may be irrelevant now. We relocated from the UK in 2014. We had our offer accepted in March and the sale closure was November so it took 6mths in total. It was a straight forward sale although there was a delay due to us wanting to buy a portion of the land with the house. I'm sure if we had been buying all the land or none of it the sale would have been quicker.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 7:21 pm
Banned

EndaKenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JeffandAnne
We are hoping to move from UK to the Galway area in the not too distant future. I've just been reading a thread about the protracted amount of time it can take to buy in Ireland which has really worried me.

We would hopefully not be buying a repossession as by the sound of it the time it takes wouldn't make it viable. I would be interested to hear other people's experiences as I am wondering how we would hold onto a buyer at this end. We have moved several times and it has never taken more than 3 months from start to finish; I presume most people in this country would expect that sort of time frame.

I'm sure it would be easier to move into rented to begin with but we don't particularly want to go down that route.

Thanks for any replies. Anne
Hoping to move to Galway in the not to distant future you say...
protracted amount of time it can take to buy in Ireland you say...
You have answered your own question really.
Auctioneers in Ireland have 2 speeds; dead slow, and stop.
If one remembers they are totally inept at their profession at all times; one will never cease to be disappointed with their failure to perform.
Here is a job interview for an auctioneer in Ireland.
Do you know anything about selling houses in Ireland?
No.
Do you have a strong work ethic?
No.
Do you know what customer service is?
No.
Start on Monday lad, the jobs yours.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Oh dear!
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear!
:-) I hope all is good on your side and the process didn't or isn't taking too long.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks Moses. Our son's move took longer than expected (the house fell through at this end). They have only been over for a couple of weeks and got a very reasonable rent in Kilkee which they can have until at least May (then the rent would go up) - great for the children to have the beach at the bottom of the road for a while. They're still sorting a lot out and not sure where they will settle at the moment - the favourite is still Galway though. They've made an offer on a repossession in Gallafrauns? which has been turned down for the minute and they are looking at 2 others in Clare this week.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moses. Our son's move took longer than expected (the house fell through at this end). They have only been over for a couple of weeks and got a very reasonable rent in Kilkee which they can have until at least May (then the rent would go up) - great for the children to have the beach at the bottom of the road for a while. They're still sorting a lot out and not sure where they will settle at the moment - the favourite is still Galway though. They've made an offer on a repossession in Gallafrauns? which has been turned down for the minute and they are looking at 2 others in Clare this week.
It's not always easy when it comes to selling and purchasing homes. Do you mean Garrafrauns in Co Galway just close to Dunmore? I can imagine that Kilkee is great for kids and always enjoyed trips there. I've definitely noticed that prices have gone up around Galway since we purchased and Galway City even worse. Still possible to buy cheap though, if you don't mind rural.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Yes near Dunmore. They are looking at lots of others though.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

My son and daughter in law have had their offer accepted on the house in Garrafrauns. Think that was about a month ago. It is a repossession and they are cash buyers, which you would think would be quite quick to go through, but not of course! They have been told to expect to be in in March. Meanwhile they have found they are expecting twins (also in late March) so will probably stay where they are renting until after the event anyway. We were over for a visit in Kilkee last week and liked it very much.