Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Living in Ireland - best/worst bits, advice wanted please!!

Living in Ireland - best/worst bits, advice wanted please!!

Old Aug 28th 2015, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

London Irish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Ireland - best/worst bits, advice wanted please!!

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Decided to stay where I am, think it's for the best in the long run! Congrats with you upcoming move, keep in touch x
A wise decision by all accounts.
Sometimes it's a case of better the devil you know.
I find cultivating new friendships here to be easy, as easy as in the UK.
But it's maintaining them is the hard part, as neighbours and friends move around more here for work, or emigrate.
Of course if retired, or with kids one can maintain these friendships easier as they are more stable.
The problem I have here, is my neighbours aren't just Irish, they are Bosnian/Polish/Tunisian/Iraqi/Kurd/etc. And therefore won't give one the time of day.
Anyway, best of luck with your new job.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Irish
Great story, many thanks for sharing it.
You see this is exactly what I am talking about in my posts, the Ireland of the 1980's was what I had in mind when I emigrated in 2010. But sadly its all gone now, even in my small town of 4000 people. In the 1980's that was the culture, but the Celtic Tiger boom and greed changed our culture, it became multicultural and hasn't worked. 4.6 million, with hundreds if thousands of Polish and Brazilians here. The difference being, they wouldn't come out and offer to sell you some bacon and eggs, it's not their culture to do so.
Coming here on holiday, it's easy to view Ireland with rose tinted glasses. And often immigrants are still on their honeymoon period for the first 2 years. I was no different, and thought it was all great, just like my childhood holidays here were. But it's after 2 years one realises its not like 1985 anymore, its 2015 now, and Ireland has changed a lot in those 30 years.
I don't know in what kind of world you live. So you are telling me that the UK hasn't changed since 1980? First you complain that there is no work in Ireland because of immigrants, then you confirm that you don't want to work because you are better off unemployed, so are giving immigrants the opportunity to take these jobs and now you want to live in 1980. Funny enough I needed some tradesmen for work on our house. I have one Irish guy who is very reliable, but there were some other jobs too. The Irish guy never came, so that was it. I had an English guy come around who was late, had no clue and wanted to rip us off. The Polish guy was punctual, clearly knew what he was talking about and really good price. Believe it or not, even today you will find people offer you bacon and eggs in Ireland. If you have a problem living with different nationalities then don't move to those places. If you want Irish maybe you should try Connemara.

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 28th 2015 at 12:08 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Decided to stay where I am, think it's for the best in the long run! Congrats with you upcoming move, keep in touch x
Enjoy your time on the cruise ships - seems to be the right thing for you, at least for now. If you ever rejoin facebook, look me up again. All the best xx
Old Aug 28th 2015, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
A little story about Ireland..........

In the early '80's I worked in a children's home near London. One summer I decided to organise a camping/fishing trip for the kids to Ireland. As it was the first trip I had planned on my own, I was determined to make sure everything went smoothly, so I phoned up the Irish tourist board in London to ask for a list of suitable campsites. The reply I got was.............

"Oh you've no need to worry about that Mr ***** just find a piece a grass and set yourselves down. You'll be fine."

So that's exactly what we did. We found a spot close to a river and lake and set up a camp. Next morning we were woken up by a man, whom I assume was the farmer, driving up to the campsite on what remained of an old clapped out Honda 50cc moped. My immediate thoughts were, 'Here we go, we're going to get a bollocking and kicked off his land', instead he said......

"Would you lads like to buy some bacon and eggs?"

My love for Ireland and the Irish people has remained strong ever since. May the road rise with you.
Lovely story.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

coleen is an unknown quantity at this point

Best things about Ireland, Barm Brack and Kerrygold butter, Clonakilty sausages, galtee pudding, Shaw's ham, crusty loaf.... need I go on... lovely country walks, scenic beaches, family, great pubs, beautiful houses accompanied by equally beautiful gardens, wonderful people from all over the world.

Bad things...nothing only the sometimes incessant rain.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coleen
Best things about Ireland, Barm Brack and Kerrygold butter, Clonakilty sausages, galtee pudding, Shaw's ham, crusty loaf.... need I go on... lovely country walks, scenic beaches, family, great pubs, beautiful houses accompanied by equally beautiful gardens, wonderful people from all over the world.

Have to agree there although I can also recommend Brady Family Ham
Old Sep 4th 2015, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coleen

You forgot to mention the very high standard of driving.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mrhappygolucky
You forgot to mention the very high standard of driving.
Ireland really has a lot of bad drivers.