Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Living in ireland 3yrs will help with info if i can

Living in ireland 3yrs will help with info if i can

Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

nicci82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in ireland 3yrs will help with info if i can

Hi everyone, im new to british expats, i have been living in ireland for 3 1/2yrs, on the wicklow kildare border, i live in a rural community with my husband and 2yr old son and two dogs. If you are considering moving to ireland, would like any general info, expiriences, i will help if i can... also we are considering moving to uae later in the year, and have a question over on the middle east board if you think you can help!!

Look forward to chatting with you!
Nic
Old Apr 16th 2014, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Werddon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in ireland 3yrs will help with info if i can

Hi Nicci82..... thanks for putting yourself for advice. Dental charges . My wife needs a bit of work done. Are the costs on par with UK prices??
Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:56 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Werddon
Hi Nicci82..... thanks for putting yourself for advice. Dental charges . My wife needs a bit of work done. Are the costs on par with UK prices??
You asked the same question on March 20th. Look at my reply then.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicci82
.. also we are considering moving to uae later in the year, and have a question over on the middle east board if you think you can help!! Nic
Had a quick look and couldn 't find your UAE query. We have been here in Dubai 8+ years but looking to move to UK, France or Ireland next year. Fire away!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

peter carroll is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.
I have been posting on here for a while asking questions about moving to Cork, Ireland. I have had a good response but wanted some clarity on certain issues.
Firstly is schooling. what age do kids start school? My son is 3 years old. Will be 4 on the 11th of September this year. What is the standard of education?
Secondly, how is the job situation? I would also like to go to college in the evenings to try and do a course. Are there any good colleges to do that in cork?
I am on a British passport and my wife is on a Seychelles passport. what would schooling cost?

Many thanks.
Peter
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Werrdon , shop around for dental care, prices can vary massively, ask for prices. Would say it can be comparable to uk if you look around. Have you health insurance is any dental covered on your policy, you can also get dental cover seperatly might be worth looking into. A friend recently went in for a crown repairing and told him he needed 2fillings as well, they did the work and then slapped him with a bill over a 1000e!!
Hi mentalist, the main advice i am looking for is to do with my two dogs whowe would be bringing with us. I know dogs aren't as common place in the uae so i was trying to find out are there any particular areas- compounds that are dog friendly, good size gardens, or just places to avoid. Any advice really from anyone who has pets over there.

Hi Peter, im a long way from cork but will help if i can. School starts at age 5 and is generally free depending on the type of school. You get one free year before that (nursey 5mornings a wk) you do have to pay for school books and uniform etc. My little boy is almost three so not had experience of
the system just yet! I think books start at a few hundred when they first start school and go up to around a1000euro by the time their in secondardy school. Standard is pretty high im lead to believe, but that no doubt can vary depending on school. Also school is till age 18 over here and do something called a leaving cert instead of gcse's.
Job wise the recession has hit harder here and unemployment is higher in ireland, but there are jobs out there. It depends what your experience is_background etc. When we moved over here we both had jobs lined up, don't know if id risk coming over here without employment. College/ uni is to a very high standard i believe, only really have a little knowledge of ones around dublin, but theres lots of choice. Costs would vary college to college and course to course, im sure there would be evening courses or even distance learning available.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Werddon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the reply.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

peter carroll is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for the information. Really helps a lot. If I think of anything else, will post again..
Thanks again. Peter
Old May 11th 2014, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

ChewChew is an unknown quantity at this point

Nicci82, please see my post below which is from my thread "Anglo moving to Cork". I know you aren't in Cork but any help or advice you could give me would be gratefully accepted.

My query: Hi, I hope somebody can help. I am hoping to move to Cork within the year and would like some, hopefully, constructive advice.

If anybody can help with the following, or even suggest considerations that I have not thought of, I would really appreciate it.

1. Is Cork, or ROI in general, single parent friendly? I am a hard worker and have no intention of milking the state. Right now, in England, I am working part time and I receive help with living and childcare costs via tax credits as my wages wouldn't cover all of these.

2. What is the job market like? I have mainly office based experience, am computer literate and organised, etc... Are jobs such as these easy to come by, and if so what would be the average wage be for an office job?

3. Does anyone have advice in regards to finding suitable private rented accommodation? What are reasonably priced districts that are child friendly and have easy access to the centre of town?

4. If I needed childcare for outside of school hours for my son, is this easy to find and what kind of costs could I expect?

I really hope somebody can help me with this query as I would like to prepare myself as much as possible before taking the plunge.

Many thanks,

ChewChew.
Old May 11th 2014, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Living in ireland 3yrs will help with info if i can

Hi chewchew, I have found that ireland is really child friendly, we live in a rural area, but dont think it would be much different in the cities. I have no expirience as regards what help you can get with child care costs, but think you would need to get yourself and child/ren the equivilant of a national insurance number before you can apply for anything. Maybe try doing a search on google? I know you do get tax credits for differents things, i think my hubby spoke to the tax office and found out what he was entitiled to.
The creche our little one goes to is about 900 euro a month for full time, they also do after school care and collect from the local schools. You can also have one year free creche before they start school, but not sure if thats full time or not.
Costs can vary though friends of ours live in co. Dublin and they pay over 1000euro. Also one they start school proper you have to pay for books.
Jobs wise, im just not sure, the reccession and unemployment is worse here than uk, but living near cork should make it easier than been in a rural area. I would try to set something up before you come over, maybe look at agencies in the area?
As for renting check out daft.ie you generally get more for your money over here, but is usual its tends to be more expensive in towns and cities. We live in a 4 bed detachened for only a little more than we rent out our 2bed semi in similar kind of area in the uk. Also if you can go through an agency it might be better, were in house number two since moving here, we rent/rented from directly from the landlords and trying to get stuff done/fixed is a nightmare, dont show up etc etc be firm from the start, dont put up with excuses! Hopefully weve just been unlucky.....
Another thing to consider is medical costs, pay to visit gp, have to pay for secondary care, there isnt a standard prescription charge like in the uk, and it can be expensive, although you may be entitiled to a medical card to cover some or all costs but this is means tested.

Hope you find at least some of this useful, good luck with the move if it goes ahead! Anything else just let me know.
Old May 12th 2014, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nicci82
Hi chewchew, I have found that ireland is really child friendly, we live in a rural area, but dont think it would be much different in the cities. I have no expirience as regards what help you can get with child care costs, but think you would need to get yourself and child/ren the equivilant of a national insurance number before you can apply for anything. Maybe try doing a search on google? I know you do get tax credits for differents things, i think my hubby spoke to the tax office and found out what he was entitiled to.
The creche our little one goes to is about 900 euro a month for full time, they also do after school care and collect from the local schools. You can also have one year free creche before they start school, but not sure if thats full time or not.
Costs can vary though friends of ours live in co. Dublin and they pay over 1000euro. Also one they start school proper you have to pay for books.
Jobs wise, im just not sure, the reccession and unemployment is worse here than uk, but living near cork should make it easier than been in a rural area. I would try to set something up before you come over, maybe look at agencies in the area?
As for renting check out daft.ie you generally get more for your money over here, but is usual its tends to be more expensive in towns and cities. We live in a 4 bed detachened for only a little more than we rent out our 2bed semi in similar kind of area in the uk. Also if you can go through an agency it might be better, were in house number two since moving here, we rent/rented from directly from the landlords and trying to get stuff done/fixed is a nightmare, dont show up etc etc be firm from the start, dont put up with excuses! Hopefully weve just been unlucky.....
Another thing to consider is medical costs, pay to visit gp, have to pay for secondary care, there isnt a standard prescription charge like in the uk, and it can be expensive, although you may be entitiled to a medical card to cover some or all costs but this is means tested.

Hope you find at least some of this useful, good luck with the move if it goes ahead! Anything else just let me know.
Hi Nicci82, although all replies to my query have technically been helpful yours is the most positive. The general response seems to be "what are you thinking" , although I would obviously take this onboard too as I realise this is a big step.

From other posts that I have seen on this board it seems that no kind of benefits is available for 2 years due a habitual residency act. I would not come expecting to have to use benefits but knowing that, if I fall on hard times within these two years, I will be left with no income what so ever, this is worrying. I have emailed a few employment agencies in Cork asking about the possibility of temping for a while if a permanent job was hard to come by so hopefully I will get a positive response from them.

Child care and health care and my next big worries. After school and holiday clubs would be something I would look at, I'll probably be best off going straight to the schools in the area with this query.

Health care is a worry because I have a low thyroid and an ongoing "depression" problem and due to my thyroid I have a blood test every 3-6 months and a continuous prescription for levothyroxine. In UK you don't have to pay for levothyroxine prescriptions full stop for some reason, but I'm sure the situation is much different in Ireland. Lots to think about, hopefully none of it major enough to ruin my plans.

Thanks again for your reply.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi chew chew, glad i could help! Didnt know qbout the 2yr thing before you can claim anything, good job you know that before coming over. Ireland can be expensive, more so than uk especially health and education, and just general living costs, so if you find employment you would need to be earningquite a bit more to have the same standard of living, and pay for those extras that you didnt have to pay for before.

If you do move over i would stock up on your prescriptions! I got two prescriptions at the end of last year, both for six months worth, one was a hundred euros the other twohundred and fifty!!!! Plus fifty euro to see the doctor, very expensive especially if they are long term treatment.

We love living here. Any reason behind moving to cork specifically? If you can be flexable with location it might be easier finding a job?
Old May 13th 2014, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

I will have to look at medical options very carefully I think.

I chose Cork because I didn't want to go to the north as my family are from there and, much as I'm sure it isn't as hellish as it was a few years ago, they've just never really sold it. Out of places in the south, I wanted coastal and a city so I would be less conspicuous as a foreigner (even though my family are Irish who would know that from looking at me?) and I was thinking that it would be easier work wise in a city too. I looked at Dublin, Limerick (I have family connections there too, Travellers, maybe I shouldn't mention that when I get to RoI ), Galway and Cork. I decided on Cork due to it being southern and a very dear family friend, who I no longer have contact with, being from Cork. So, stupidly, I did let nostalgia play a part. I will have a couple of visits first to have a proper look at the place so hopefully I can definitely make the right choice.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 10:44 am
ChT
Just Joined

ChT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thinking of trying to get a teaching or free-lance translaton job for 6 mnths to a year in Ireland due to need to get Russian wife into UK-she can't get a UK visa-looks like our best shot is to get residency in EU first and our 6-yearold daughter(UK citizen) -needs primary school. Then we can get freedom of movement and get into UK- Is Ireland easy for EU citizens' family members'
permits?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi cht, sorry but i dont have any expirience of this or know anyone in similar circumstances, have you tried any irish goverment websites? I will keep an eye out and if i come across info that could help you i will post here.
Maybe try starting your own thread so people can see your question, if you havnt already.

Sorry i havent been able to help, good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.