Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Living in ireland 3yrs will help with info if i can

Living in ireland 3yrs will help with info if i can

Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in ireland 3yrs will help with info if i can

Originally Posted by ChT
Thinking of trying to get a teaching or free-lance translaton job for 6 mnths to a year in Ireland due to need to get Russian wife into UK-she can't get a UK visa-looks like our best shot is to get residency in EU first and our 6-yearold daughter(UK citizen) -needs primary school. Then we can get freedom of movement and get into UK- Is Ireland easy for EU citizens' family members'
permits?
You'll face the same problem in Ireland, as she'll need a Visa. There are other options like buying property in Latvia worth 70-140K, or buying property in Ireland worth 1 Million, if you have that kind of money. Through that you'd get a Visa which would have to be renewed every 1 or 2 years, but you'd have free movement.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

KirstieLeighAnn is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the cost of living like compared to England?

Thank you.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

nicci82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi kirstie as a rule its more expensive in ireland. I would say if youre coming over here for work you would need maybe 10-15per cent increase for the same standard of living. As in the uk certain areas a more expensive ie dublin, we dont have council tax here either which will save u a few quid but it does mean you have to pay for refuge collection, you have to pay for doctors appointments, prescriptions can be expensive. If you have kids you have to buy school books etc, much more expensive than the uk. Although we found renting a house is better value, we looked at renting a similar house in the uk and it was almost double.
What area are you coming from/ thinking of coming too?
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nicci82
Hi kirstie as a rule its more expensive in ireland. I would say if youre coming over here for work you would need maybe 10-15per cent increase for the same standard of living. As in the uk certain areas a more expensive ie dublin, we dont have council tax here either which will save u a few quid but it does mean you have to pay for refuge collection, you have to pay for doctors appointments, prescriptions can be expensive. If you have kids you have to buy school books etc, much more expensive than the uk. Although we found renting a house is better value, we looked at renting a similar house in the uk and it was almost double.
What area are you coming from/ thinking of coming too?
Nicci82,
Hi, I sent you a private message. I dont now if you received it or not. Regards
Old Aug 11th 2014, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi lost brit, i did but not till after id replied here. I have quoted your message and put answer under each one, hope it helps!
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lost brit, i did but not till after id replied here. I have quoted your message and put answer under each one, hope it helps!
Thank you so much, I have replied
Old Aug 17th 2014, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Stradone is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Nicci82,

Thanks for posting initially and suggesting you're up for helping people..!

I have a few unanswered questions that I have joined expats for.. Here's a summary..

I currently run a business in UK and rent a property here too. My business here in the UK has expanded so rapidly in the last couple of years that I have a need to spend a lot of time over in Ireland. To this end I have purchased a property in Co. Cavan.

My intention is to sell my business (which just for information sells franchises) and to become the Irish franchisee within my old business. Completion of the sale of business is due on Monday 15th September.

After 15th September I am free to do a more permanent move (albeit that the house in Caven won't have the renovations completed by then, but not far off).

I will be spending the majority of my time in Ireland (say 5 days in Ireland and 2 in England per week).

Question 1: This is a question regarding tax affairs - Because of the above do I simply tell UK taxman I'm moving and Irish taxman I've arrived, or is it more complicated than that?

Question 2: I need some help regarding bringing my car over - Do I simply get insurance for an English car in Ireland, or do I need to get the car registered on Irish plates?

If you, or anyone can start off replies to this that would help me no end! I'm sure there will be loads more questions on the horizon, and I'll keep popping back and posting.

Here's hoping that I'll be in the position to help others once I'm bedded in myself!

Regards,
Stradone
Old Aug 18th 2014, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi stradone, i would inform uk taxman, we found we were entitiled to a rebate, also its good to give them a new adress so they can send any letters or cheques to the right place. When you get here you need to go get yourself a pps number, same sort of thing as an NI number in the uk, until this is done and your number issued you will be put on emergency tax, we got to ireland towards the end of the year so with the xmas shut down and then back log we had to pay it for a few months, and it goes up as you go along.... you need proof of adress for this i think, back ststments, utilities etc so get those set up quikly too so you have them.
Once you have all your info through, give the tax people here a call to ensure that you are getting all the tax credits you are entitiled to.
The car thing, i think realistically as youre resident in ireland and spending most of your time here, you would need to get your car registered here and put on irish plates. The cost is 37per cent of the current value of the car taking into account mileage etc. It sounds expensive but dependant on the value etc, it would probably be worth doing as cars are more expensive here. We looked into it because of the cost when we wanted to get a car, some people will try and get away with it, but if you get caught they can see that youre resident here and pay tax in ireland so they will do you for it. Also we were warned that if its a nice car its quite likey that someone will report you out of jealousy...... have a look on the vrt website.ie for working out cost and time frames.

Hope this helps
Nic
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Stradone
Dear Nicci82,

Thanks for posting initially and suggesting you're up for helping people..!

I have a few unanswered questions that I have joined expats for.. Here's a summary..

I currently run a business in UK and rent a property here too. My business here in the UK has expanded so rapidly in the last couple of years that I have a need to spend a lot of time over in Ireland. To this end I have purchased a property in Co. Cavan.

My intention is to sell my business (which just for information sells franchises) and to become the Irish franchisee within my old business. Completion of the sale of business is due on Monday 15th September.

After 15th September I am free to do a more permanent move (albeit that the house in Caven won't have the renovations completed by then, but not far off).

I will be spending the majority of my time in Ireland (say 5 days in Ireland and 2 in England per week).

Question 1: This is a question regarding tax affairs - Because of the above do I simply tell UK taxman I'm moving and Irish taxman I've arrived, or is it more complicated than that?

Question 2: I need some help regarding bringing my car over - Do I simply get insurance for an English car in Ireland, or do I need to get the car registered on Irish plates?

If you, or anyone can start off replies to this that would help me no end! I'm sure there will be loads more questions on the horizon, and I'll keep popping back and posting.

Here's hoping that I'll be in the position to help others once I'm bedded in myself!

Regards,
Stradone
Anything to do with your car, look here vrt.ie

You may not have to pay anything to have it re-registered.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

saiqa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, im new to british expats, i have been living in ireland for 3 1/2yrs, on the wicklow kildare border, i live in a rural community with my husband and 2yr old son and two dogs. If you are considering moving to ireland, would like any general info, expiriences, i will help if i can... also we are considering moving to uae later in the year, and have a question over on the middle east board if you think you can help!!

Look forward to chatting with you!
Nic
Hi im thinking to move to ireland I just need help with renting do u any place that I can rwnt please for short term
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saiqa
Hi im thinking to move to ireland I just need help with renting do u any place that I can rwnt please for short term
I'm not nicci82, but there are plenty of places depending where and how long you want to stay. You can look on Daft.ie and will also find holiday homes that are a lot cheaper off season.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:30 am
Just Joined

saiqa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi moses im thinking to move in two months so would be needing to rent so any one on this foroum that is currently in ireland and moving back to uk do yiu have any studio room or 1 bedroom flat that you can pass on so I can contact landlord I ned it near garda office nearby or cork please or any are that is cheap as I need to look for job while im there please can anyone help any landlords on thos foroum plzz get in touch I need private short term rent
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by saiqa
Hi moses im thinking to move in two months so would be needing to rent so any one on this foroum that is currently in ireland and moving back to uk do yiu have any studio room or 1 bedroom flat that you can pass on so I can contact landlord I ned it near garda office nearby or cork please or any are that is cheap as I need to look for job while im there please can anyone help any landlords on thos foroum plzz get in touch I need private short term rent
First of all why are you looking for a job if it's short term and why near a garda office? As said, Daft.ie would be the first place to look online.