Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Living costs Ireland versus UK

Living costs Ireland versus UK

Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Brucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really nice
Default Re: Living costs Ireland versus UK

Originally Posted by Martinw02
Hi Anabel.

I asked a similar question, but answers tend to be somewhat varied. Like you I want to move to Ireland (semi-rural) and was hoping to get by on about 2,300e per month after tax (wife, 5-year-old and no mortgage). In fact I thought it would be a breeze, but one person suggested 3k as a minimum. I'd be interested to know what you think would be a realistic monthly budget for yourselves.
Defo doable, depending on what u expect. Impossible to answer accuratley without full details of expected lifestyle. ie 1 or 2 cars, holiday abroad every year, passtimes (golf?), will u be renting etc. Its a complicated question. Your lifestyle may be more or less financially demanding than those responding, explaining the variation in responses. What I might view as doable may not match your expectations of life, eg some people cant survive without the latest gadgets, eg tv, ipad, which may cost a couple of thousand a year, but may make things too tight depending on the total package that is your lifestyle.
Sorry, no definitive answer to your question except for, yes and no, depending on your expectations, but you definitly wont starve, be cold or be deprived of the basics that the majority get at a minimum for that kind of an income with no mortgage or rental costs. Personally id say reasonable lifestyle with that income.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Martinw02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brucey
Defo doable, depending on what u expect. Impossible to answer accuratley without full details of expected lifestyle. ie 1 or 2 cars, holiday abroad every year, passtimes (golf?), will u be renting etc. Its a complicated question. Your lifestyle may be more or less financially demanding than those responding, explaining the variation in responses. What I might view as doable may not match your expectations of life, eg some people cant survive without the latest gadgets, eg tv, ipad, which may cost a couple of thousand a year, but may make things too tight depending on the total package that is your lifestyle.
Sorry, no definitive answer to your question except for, yes and no, depending on your expectations, but you definitly wont starve, be cold or be deprived of the basics that the majority get at a minimum for that kind of an income with no mortgage or rental costs. Personally id say reasonable lifestyle with that income.
I suppose the exam question is; would I be comfortable with 2,300 per month, no mortgage/rent, one car, 2 bed cottage in semi-rural location and the usual expectations of an average family - one holiday a year, enough to have a few luxuries, eat out once a month, go to the pub once a week. Nothing extravagant, but nothing too frugal. I'd imagine one could give a rough idea of what is average. For example in the UK I could tell you that you'd do it tough on 1500 pounds per month, but would be fine on 2300 pounds per month.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Brucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Martinw02
I suppose the exam question is; would I be comfortable with 2,300 per month, no mortgage/rent, one car, 2 bed cottage in semi-rural location and the usual expectations of an average family - one holiday a year, enough to have a few luxuries, eat out once a month, go to the pub once a week. Nothing extravagant, but nothing too frugal. I'd imagine one could give a rough idea of what is average. For example in the UK I could tell you that you'd do it tough on 1500 pounds per month, but would be fine on 2300 pounds per month.
I'd say based on what u have said above that the answer is yes, assuming u dont smoke, are happy with a basic health insurance plan (or none at all, many dont bother), drive an average car, dont drink 10 pints each once a week in the pub etc. I wouldn't say it would be tight but like everybody else, we are all cutting back due to austerity, but thats going to happen in the uk too.

One piece of advice though, semi rural is great in many ways but factor in cost of transport to school/college, shops, pub etc. we live about 8 miles from school/football club/school friends, about 15 miles from swimming pool, major supermarkets etc. Mightn't seem much but if we lived half that distance we would save about 800 euro a year give or take 100 euro, it all adds up, im not saying dont go for the cottage thing, just try and get one within 4 miles of most things u regularly travel to.

Also dont under estimate the change from an urban existance (i might be making an incorrect assumption) to a rural one. Sometimes its best to try before u buy, which is easy enough in ireland at the moment, u may even be able to strike a deal whereby if u rent a house thats for sale, rent paid will come off an agreed purchase price in the event that u decide to buy after a trial period renting, these kind of options are possible in current market.

Good luck whatever u do, try and do it in a way that gives u a way out in the event that it doesn't work out, though I'm sure it will, things may be negative at the moment but there aren't many countries I'd choose to live in over Ireland despite its drawbacks.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:47 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

I can break down living costs in Ireland very simply.
One needs 1000 Euro per month per person.
So for you and your partner and one child, you will need 3000 Euro per month.
Don't take my word for it though, the Irish Government has already calculated this very accurately in determining dole.
A single man is entitled to clam 188 Euro per week dole plus another 70 Euro (depending on area) per week rent allowance. So thats at total of 258 Euro per week or 1032 Euro per month to live on.
If there are 3 of you, then its 3000 Euro per month.
I am a single man living in Dublin, and my living costs are 1500 per month.
What you save on rent/mortgage living in a rural/semi rural area, will be offset by additional travelling costs.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:17 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Don't take my word for it though, the Irish Government has already calculated this very accurately in determining dole.
A single man is entitled to clam 188 Euro per week dole plus another 70 Euro (depending on area) per week rent allowance. So thats at total of 258 Euro per week or 1032 Euro per month to live on.
What you save on rent/mortgage living in a rural/semi rural area, will be offset by additional travelling costs.
Two people claiming dole don't get €188 x 2 + €70 x 2. They get €312 + €70
Also you wouldn't rent much of a place for €70 a week so is what's happening is the tenant has to make up the shortfall out of the €188. So now the government reckons that two people can live on just over €1500 per month. Plus if the third person is a child they get child allowance of €140 per month.

If three people live in a house there is not three sets of identical bills.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ok , by the above reckoning we are living our lifestyle with the aid of some kind of devine intervention. We are a family of four with two cars a mortgage (albeit a small one), are currently in the dordogne on a 2 week holiday and live a lifestyle along the lines of the original poster, Im a member of the local golf club and by the above reckoning we would need an annual income of about 48k net and 65 70k gross. We do it on 55k gross,works out about 38k net which is about 60 quid shy of 3k a month and thats for four of us and 3 dogs.

Its never as simple as the above view, economies of scale and all that. Also the dole has nothing to do with what is required to live, a familly of three /four dont all receive the dole, or 3/4 rent allowances etc. In addition the average mortgage in ireland for young famillies is about 200-250k I'd guess which is about 800 1100 per month depending on supplier, a huge expense which the poster has not got to deal with. No one has travelling costs of 800 to 1100 a month unless your living in Belfast and commuting daily to Tralee. Id suggest you seek advice from those in a similar situation to yourself (ie familly size etc) Id also suggest that others offer advice based on what they know and not based on what they think they know. This is a major decision in the posters advice and throwing out answers based on what u think u know is a little bit irresponsible. My brother is a single man living in Dublin, earns about 150k a year, and is broke at the end of each month, by this logic a familly of threer living in Dublin need about 300k a year. Obviously not but I think the point is made.

Yes u can do it, on the amount mentioned but try before u buy.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:24 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Brucey
Ok , by the above reckoning we are living our lifestyle with the aid of some kind of devine intervention. We are a family of four with two cars a mortgage (albeit a small one), are currently in the dordogne on a 2 week holiday and live a lifestyle along the lines of the original poster, Im a member of the local golf club and by the above reckoning we would need an annual income of about 48k net and 65 70k gross. We do it on 55k gross,works out about 38k net which is about 60 quid shy of 3k a month and thats for four of us and 3 dogs.

Its never as simple as the above view, economies of scale and all that. Also the dole has nothing to do with what is required to live, a familly of three /four dont all receive the dole, or 3/4 rent allowances etc. In addition the average mortgage in ireland for young famillies is about 200-250k I'd guess which is about 800 1100 per month depending on supplier, a huge expense which the poster has not got to deal with. No one has travelling costs of 800 to 1100 a month unless your living in Belfast and commuting daily to Tralee. Id suggest you seek advice from those in a similar situation to yourself (ie familly size etc) Id also suggest that others offer advice based on what they know and not based on what they think they know. This is a major decision in the posters advice and throwing out answers based on what u think u know is a little bit irresponsible. My brother is a single man living in Dublin, earns about 150k a year, and is broke at the end of each month, by this logic a familly of threer living in Dublin need about 300k a year. Obviously not but I think the point is made.

Yes u can do it, on the amount mentioned but try before u buy.
Nonsense.
I am calling bullshit on your post.
It takes 1000 Euro per person per month to live in Ireland.
Fact.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Nonsense.
Fact.
It does not cost 1k per month per person when there are 2 are adults and 1 child. They have no mortgage or rent.

Last edited by sickntired; Jun 27th 2012 at 8:27 pm. Reason: correction
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Martinw02 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's all helpful, so thanks. It is a case of sorting through the information and advice and honing it to suit ones own specific circumstances. Your situation, Brucy, seems to be most analogous to my situation and it's good to hear that it sounds feasible. The next move is to have a good reconnoiter, which we are doing next month. And I agree, try before you buy is solid advice.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Nonsense.
Fact.
"FACT" is a strong word, I'm basing my "opinion" on what we earn "which" is considerably less than 1k per month per person (ie 2 adults and 2 children aged 9 and 10). I drive a Skoda Yeti, my wife drives a honda civic, we have health insurance with Quinn (old name) , not the most luxurious plan but sufficient for us. We have a small mortgage. My wife works earning somewhere around 1500 to 1700 per fortnight after deductions, I am the new breed of animal known as the "House Husband". Our kids do the usual activities, rugby, gaelic football,swimming and cubs. We are currently on a two week break in Le Bugue which is in the Dordogne. I wouldn't say we live a luxurious lifestyle but it aint bad. I play golf once a week (Seapoint Co Louth). Now do we watch what we spend, yes we do. Are we worried about more cuts, yes we are. Will we have to cut back on luxuries or perhaps stuff like health insurance, holiday for one week instead of two etc, if more austerity affects our income levels, yes we will. But yes we achieve the above lifestyle which is similar to the posters I think for considerably less than 1k per month per person and we have a small mortgage to contend with.

I have no reason to lie, I hope that this is helpful in combination with my other postings. I give it with the cautions given in previous post and also with the extra caveat that my definition of what is an acceptable lifestyle may be different to yours and also we for eg often shop in Aldi, Lidl and indeed up north when exchange rate or savings warrant such activity (I'll support my own economy when it isn't taking the piss).

Again I state that this is my "opinion" that it is doable for you. You might also take care that u dont get caught on importing your car etc if it is less than 12 months old, when we returned from oz we were liable for import duties on our car due to it being in our ownership for less than 12 months, not sure if that has changed. Also I dont know what your entitlement would be with regard to child benefit. In addition you should consider the health service here and the UK. ITS EXPENSIVE TO GO TO THE DOC HERE, ITS EXPENSIVE TO GET A PRESCRIPTION FILLED, HEALTH INSURANCE IS VERY EXPENSIVE. This is what I mean by your standard and mine, We, touch wood, rarely need to visit the doc and are happy with a lower level health plan (we are even considering dropping it). Many are not and pay 2 to 4k a year for health insurance for a family of four, may visit the doc 10 times a year at 50 to 60 quid a visit. This has a serious impact on your income and as aresult lifestyle.

I dont offer "facts" as I find that they are often not facts but opinions, I also dont get involved in petty slanging matches as I assume the purpose of this sight is to help others by sharing ones experiences where one is in a similar position. Good luck whatever u do and once again try before u buy (and not just for a week or two, it takes months to suss a place out properly, just my opinion, I doubt its a fact).
Old Jun 28th 2012, 7:17 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Nonsense.
Fact.
You seem to call that a lot on here.
Why should another poster lie about his circumstances in order to give false information to someone wanting to know about living in Ireland ?
It certainly doesn't cost my family of four a grand a month each to live in Ireland and believe me I could easily afford it.
Perhaps your attitude problem may have contributed towards your inability to find employment for so long.