Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Irish Passport Office, No sign of life!

Irish Passport Office, No sign of life!

Old Dec 8th 2021, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Irish Passport Office, No sign of life!

I have been trying to obtain a first time Irish passport but the Irish passport office website just goes round in circles, the phone lines are without answer, emails are not answered. Twitter account appears inactive, except for their own posts claiming to be doing a fine job! Using their main website and requesting assistance results in zilch! It would be easier to get an answer from the Mary Celeste. I have been trying on and off for a year now and making little progress. Does anyone here have their own experience to share and is there a support group for the customers/victims of this disorganisation?
Old Dec 8th 2021, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Passport Office, No sign of life!

Seems to be working: https://passportonline.dfa.ie/Apply/Passport

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/turnaround-times/
Old Dec 8th 2021, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

That is all fine and good. The problems begin after applying and paying for the passport. I had to collate all the required proofs of I.D. for myself and parents, which took a good bit of time given the Covid situation, also some of the Irish Govt. Websites (Health and Registrations) had been rendered unusable due to "Hacking" attacks. Now there is no response from their main passport website nor the phone lines nor their "webchat" facility, nor their Twitter Account. One year later no passport no communication and they have got my money.
Old Dec 9th 2021, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

https://www.thejournal.ie/high-deman...21664-Dec2021/
Old Dec 9th 2021, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

An enlightening article, thank you.

They want more funding for so many things yet fail to mention the money they are sitting on, which they take upfront before going into hiding. Now up they pop to give a list of expansionist demands to their employers. Clearly business has never been so good.

I think I can guess what will happen, they will at a later date say that my application has expired due to time taken to process!
Old Feb 15th 2022, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

wordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond repute

Patience young Jedi....that's all the advice I can offer as it took four months to get my passport and yes, the phone lines are always very buy but its worth persevering...Good Luck
Old Feb 16th 2022, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
I have been trying to obtain a first time Irish passport but the Irish passport office website just goes round in circles, the phone lines are without answer, emails are not answered. Twitter account appears inactive, except for their own posts claiming to be doing a fine job! Using their main website and requesting assistance results in zilch! It would be easier to get an answer from the Mary Celeste. I have been trying on and off for a year now and making little progress. Does anyone here have their own experience to share and is there a support group for the customers/victims of this disorganisation?
You might want to join this forum:

https://www.immigrationboards.com/ir...7641-4550.html

I'm not a member myself but you will find plenty of fellowship on there!

Are you trying to get on the FBR or are you going straight to first passport?

From applying to receiving my Irish passport/passport card it took 18 months but believe me, it was well worth the wait. Apparently it's a very complicated process and they have to carry out extensive checks.

Things are moving again but from FBR to passport it's taking two years on average. The world and its dog wants an Irish passport in the post Brexit world and there are thousands of US nationals applying too so the backlog is horrendous.

Here is another interesting article:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/four-out-of-five-applications-by-adults-for-a-first-irish-passport-are-being-made-from-outside-the-state-41315171.html

Last edited by Lou71; Feb 16th 2022 at 8:07 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you very much Lou71, some good info and I have joined the board you mentioned. I suspect my application fee to the Irish passport office will be kept by them and they will have their collective hand out to receive a further payment.

Best regards
jonboy