Reload this Page >

Irish birth registration - Documentation

Irish birth registration - Documentation

Old May 14th 2024, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

MarkHowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Irish birth registration - Documentation

Hi

I’ve been collecting all documents necessary to apply for Irish birth registration through my paternal grandmother.

It appears she has a different first name on her death certificate to that on her birth certificate, but I can find no document confirming she ever changed her name, legally.

I’m assuming any application would just be rejected, due to this, even with a statement of ‘Minnia preferred to be called June’.

Any thoughts on how I can proceed? I don’t want to apply, wait 2.5 years, then get rejected.

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks 😀
Old May 15th 2024, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish birth registration - Documentation

Originally Posted by MarkHowell
Hi

I’ve been collecting all documents necessary to apply for Irish birth registration through my paternal grandmother.

It appears she has a different first name on her death certificate to that on her birth certificate, but I can find no document confirming she ever changed her name, legally.

I’m assuming any application would just be rejected, due to this, even with a statement of ‘Minnia preferred to be called June’.

Any thoughts on how I can proceed? I don’t want to apply, wait 2.5 years, then get rejected.

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks 😀
Firstly, please don't be put off applying to the FBR because of one minor discrepancy!

I have been through the procedure myself and I had several fairly minor discrepancies on my certificates so I phoned the FBR registry in Dublin and explained them. They said it's extremely common and the best thing to do is to explain them in a covering letter which I did.

I had a missing middle name on one of my certificates because baptism names were not included on birth certificates back then. Could it be that your grandmother preferred using her baptism name? What is important is proving the link between you and your grandmother and obviously you have located her Irish birth certificate which will have her father's name on it and also her marriage certificate which will also have his name on it so that is conclusive proof of identity.

​​​​​​By the way, the FBR are speeding through applications in just under a year now!

I hope that helps.
Old May 21st 2024, 10:23 am
Just Joined

PJ Grawe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I’m hoping that you can give me some advice on a document issue. After a very long and difficult process I found my Irish birth father and his family and have had his name legally added to my birth records. He was born in the UK and his mother in County Cork. He passed away in Australia.

I had thought that I could finally put together my application to the FBR as I could now get all the paperwork together. However, in New South Wales only next of kin named on a birth certificate have the right to order a copy. I’m not named on it and to get a copy would require authorisation from my fathers widow. Unfortunately my father never told his wife about having a son and she’s naturally upset and is unwilling to communicate with me.

So, I have all the certificates linking me to my father and to my grandmother but do not have the certificate proving his death. I do have letters and emails from family members which mention him passing away and I do have a copy of the order of his funeral service. But no death certificate and no realistic chance of getting it.
My question is whether there’s any way of applying for registration without the actual death certificate but with other evidence and a supporting statement? As said, I have the evidence of Irish father and grandmother. It would seem that those are the vital bits of evidence but after my struggles with birth records and legal requirements I won’t assume anything! I guess this must be something that comes up fairly often so I’m really hoping there’s a way through it. Any advice would be really great. Thanks.
Old May 22nd 2024, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

MarkHowell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Lou!
Old May 23rd 2024, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PJ Grawe
Hi,
I’m hoping that you can give me some advice on a document issue. After a very long and difficult process I found my Irish birth father and his family and have had his name legally added to my birth records. He was born in the UK and his mother in County Cork. He passed away in Australia.

I had thought that I could finally put together my application to the FBR as I could now get all the paperwork together. However, in New South Wales only next of kin named on a birth certificate have the right to order a copy. I’m not named on it and to get a copy would require authorisation from my fathers widow. Unfortunately my father never told his wife about having a son and she’s naturally upset and is unwilling to communicate with me.

So, I have all the certificates linking me to my father and to my grandmother but do not have the certificate proving his death. I do have letters and emails from family members which mention him passing away and I do have a copy of the order of his funeral service. But no death certificate and no realistic chance of getting it.
My question is whether there’s any way of applying for registration without the actual death certificate but with other evidence and a supporting statement? As said, I have the evidence of Irish father and grandmother. It would seem that those are the vital bits of evidence but after my struggles with birth records and legal requirements I won’t assume anything! I guess this must be something that comes up fairly often so I’m really hoping there’s a way through it. Any advice would be really great. Thanks.
First of all, don't worry, there will be a way round this.

I would try contacting the FBR for some advice and find out what your options are. They have thousands of problems like this and one of the most common is estranged relatives refusing to provide ID for example.

There is a very good FBR forum you could join. They are a good bunch with plenty of experience and useful advice and if you explain your problem, you will receive plenty of useful responses:

https://www.immigrationboards.com/ir...7641-5650.html

It's very strange that only the next of kin can apply for a copy of the death certificate. Another option would be to contact a lawyer (perhaps in Australia) and find out if a sworn affidavit would suffice.

Old May 23rd 2024, 2:44 am
Just Joined

PJ Grawe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lou,

Firstly, huge thanks for your response. It’s been quite a mountain climb just to get to this point and the Australian certificate issue feels like a sheer rock face when the summit’s almost in sight. So your positive message is much appreciated. Cheers.

I did manage to get through to the FBR helpline yesterday. The guy was fairly positive and suggested a covering letter with as much information as possible. Maybe a letter from the Australian authorities as well confirming the certificate regulations.

Like you he also mentioned the solicitor option but his main advice was to get the process started and deal with requests for further information as and when they are made. No guarantee that they won’t request the actual certificate but worth getting the ball rolling.

So that was helpful advice and I hope it might be useful to anyone in a similar position who reads this. Thanks again for your encouragement and advice Lou. I’ll definitely sign up to the forum you’ve suggested. All the best. Paul.
Old May 23rd 2024, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Good luck Mark and Paul and please let us know how you get on!
Old Jun 11th 2024, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give anyone a beacon of hope on timing, my wife is going through the process at the moment, she had a couple of calls with the FBR team to iron out some questions and they quoted her 4-5 months to process the application from the date of delivery of the docs to them, which is promising although Im not holding my breath