Ireland now with Brexit

Old Feb 8th 2019, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ireland now with Brexit

Originally we planned to move to the UK now that we're at retirement age. But with the chaos of Brexit, rise of an anti-immigrant climate, and economic uncertainty, we've changed to Ireland. It may actually have been the better choice for us afterall. I'm wondering if others have reconsidered similarly and shifted to Ireland.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ireland now with Brexit

Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A hard Brexiteer reaction?
Old Feb 8th 2019, 7:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

From what I hear from family in the UK, and what I saw and heard when I was back in the UK recently, the ballyhoo abour Brexit seems mostly a lot of hysteria stirred up by the media and the chattering classes.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 8th 2019 at 7:18 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perhaps. But economic and immigration uncertainties are clearly there. Companies are relocating elsewhere over the uncertainties. The Bank of England governor recently gave a pretty resounding estimate of the negative economic impact. Many immigrants are returning to their home countries over these concerns. I don't think this is media hysteria at all.

I didn't mean this to become a "take it outside" discussion, but was instead interested if any others contemplating returning to the UK had similar concerns or thoughts by choosing Ireland instead. Especially those who'd rather live in an EU country.

Last edited by Richard8655; Feb 8th 2019 at 7:31 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 7:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Perhaps. But economic and immigration uncertainties are clearly there. Companies are relocating elsewhere over the uncertainties. The Bank of England governor recently gave a pretty resounding estimate of the negative economic impact. Many immigrants are returning to their home countries over these concerns. I don't think this is media hysteria at all.

I didn't mean this to become a "take it outside" discussion, but was instead interested if any others contemplating returning to the UK had similar concerns or thoughts.
If anything I would be more inclined to return to the UK - it is likely that housing may become more affordable, for a while at least, which has been a matter of concern for many, perhaps most people living in the UK. And as a returning British citizen, my non-GBP savings would going go about 25% further than at the prevailing exchange before Brexit was first discussed.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If anything I would be more inclined to return to the UK - it is likely that housing may become more affordable, for a while at least, which has been a matter of concern for many, perhaps most people living in the UK. And as a returning British citizen, my non-GBP savings would going go about 25% further than at the prevailing exchange before Brexit was first discussed.
Good point. But I'd say that the drop in housing prices and national currency is a pretty clear indication of uncertainty and of something not quite right, if not an outright prediction of a questionable economic future. We also don't want to return to just take advantage of price drops based on instability and fear, but would rather resettle from the long term perspective of living in an economic and political system we agree and feel comfortable with.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

But just to add, I think whichever perspective we take on this issue, the Common Travel Area agreement provides great options however we see this.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 3:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But just to add, I think whichever perspective we take on this issue, the Common Travel Area agreement provides great options however we see this.
You have a point. We own a fairly large house in Normandy. We bought it in 2008 with the intention of retiring there (from Canada) in 2015. However as retirement approached, the health of my, then already widowed, FIL deteriorated rapidly, so we also bought a flat in England near his home with the new plan of ~50/50 time in each place. This developed into a comfortable balance over the next couple of years, until the referendum and the subsequent chaos, has called deeply into question the viability of this arrangement in the future and the future of the UK post hard-Brexit: not a place I'd choose to live.

My FIL has now died, so we're flexible. Ireland may be worth a closer look. It has to be recognised though that a no deal Brexit could severely subvert the Good Friday arrangements and that Eire may also be sucked into the maelstrom.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 9th 2019 at 4:45 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You have a point. We own a fairly large house in Normandy. We bought it in 2008 with the intention of retiring there (from Canada) in 2015. However as retirement approached, the health of my, then already widowed, FIL deteriorated rapidly, so we also bought a flat in England near his home with the new plan of ~50/50 time in each place. This developed into a comfortable balance over the next couple of years, until the referendum and the subsequent chaos, has called deeply into question the viability of this arrangement in the future and the future of the UK post hard-Brexit: not a place I'd choose to live.

My FIL has now died, so we're flexible. Ireland may be worth a closer look. It has to be recognised though that a no deal Brexit could severely subvert the Good Friday arrangements and that Eire may also be sucked into the maelstrom.
Thanks for the reply and your personal thoughts and experiences on this subject. Sorry about your FIL, but it sounds like you both made his remaining years more comfortable by maintaining nearby residence.

Yes, the future of the CTA is a bit of a concern in such planning for us, or for any Brit. Thankfully so far, all sides seem determined to maintain the agreement even if it comes down to a no deal Brexit. But I agree, the risk is still on the table until all this has settled down and been finalized. Until then, Ireland continues to be a more attractive destination for now, and may always be considering the probable long-term political divisions and economic uncertainty in the UK.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 6:47 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

...the long term perspective of living in an economic and political system we agree and feel comfortable with.

Care to elaborate on how the ROI's "economic and political system" are superior to the UK's?
Old Feb 10th 2019, 7:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the future of the CTA is a bit of a concern in such planning for us, or for any Brit. Thankfully so far, all sides seem determined to maintain the agreement even if it comes down to a no deal Brexit. But I agree, the risk is still on the table until all this has settled down and been finalized. Until then, Ireland continues to be a more attractive destination for now, and may always be considering the probable long-term political divisions and economic uncertainty in the UK.
I'm not concerned about the mutual commitments to the CTA, but rather about the return of "the troubles" if the GFA is violated by a hard border.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 8:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A hard Brexiteer reaction?
I’m sure your vantage point from Illinois gives you the edge over mine from Lewisham but I would politely suggest you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 12:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

-- but rather about the return of "the troubles" if the GFA is violated by a hard border.
Yes.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not concerned about the mutual commitments to the CTA, but rather about the return of "the troubles" if the GFA is violated by a hard border.
Concerning but the troubles are everywhere these days. Even with a hard border and a few people causing trouble just for the sake of it, the troubles in every major city (Paris, Brussels Amsterdam etc.) are worse and nobody talks about it. There are so many threats in mainland Europe and people still get on with their lives. In France, you're never far from a nuclear power plant, cities like Marseille are rougher than any place I've seen here but even in the same country people can escape the madness. The media love the doom and gloom talk and try to stir up even more, so they can report about it.

In the West of Ireland most people I know have stopped listening to the Brexit talks and just get on with life. Next month I'll be climbing up Croagh Patrick again and will enjoy the view:-).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.