Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Ireland full of Eastern Europeans now

Ireland full of Eastern Europeans now

Old Oct 6th 2016, 5:04 pm
Banned

EndaKenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ireland full of Eastern Europeans now

Ireland is full of Eastern Europeans now.
I moved here from London 7 years ago, and there weren't as many then.
But now the increase is more noticible; Lithuanians, Slovakians, Polish.
Even in small rural towns you now see Polski Sklep and Lithuanica shops where other shops are closing down. Its very telling.
Forget emigrating and trying to get a job in hotels, cafes, shops etc; as they are mainly Eastern European staffed, with an EE manager.
Often the EE workers are third-level educated and speak 2 or more languages; so they are better value employees than the Irish.
One of my neighbours; a 25 year old Irish girl jacked her job in after 9 months in Aldi. She got sick of all the Polish staff only speaking Polish and shunning her. They don't mix and integrate with the Irish at all.
And if you are coming from England with an English accent? Forget trying to get a job. You are treated like a second-class citizen here. That's the reality.
In England, gaining emplyment comes down to ones; skills, suitability, qualifications, experience.
In Ireland its a case of; not what you know, but who you know. Polish managers hire Polish staff. The Irish don't get a look in, and the English? Forget it, they are way down the list.
It takes one a while to see it, and then a while longer to accept the reality.
The first 2 years one sees Ireland through the eyes of a tourist; then later a resident.
Don't get me wrong, Ireland is great if one is retired; or has a cash lump sum to buy a house with no mortgage, and a UK pension to live on.
But for anyone with kids, or renting, or paying a mortgage; its not the utopia-like place people talk about on here.
I applied for a job here recently, 1 position vacant; over 400 applicants.
I was shortlisted for interview, 10 in the running. The other 9 were all EE.
Second round of interviews, and its down to 3 candidates; the other 2 were Polish. Polish HR manager, and surprise surprise; Polish candidate gets the job. Waste of time applying when its a 400/1 chance, and in reality that is only if one is EE.
We aren't just talking about middle-management jobs above 40K per year here either, everything from minimum wage to company director level jobs.
Ireland was flooded in the Celtic Tiger with EE labour. From 1995-2008 it was needed as Ireland was booming. But many of the Irish here turned their nose up at the dirty work, the long hours, the minimum wage work. But the EE workers took it and were grateful. Now from 2008 to 2016 many of those minimum wage workers kept their jobs and worked their way up the ladder.
So the boot is on the other foot now, Paddy is applying and hungry for any work going, but its Magda and Marcin interviewing him as they worked their way up to supervisor or manager.
So I don't blame the EE workers for looking after their own. Nepotism and cronyism is rife in Ireland more now than ever, its not just the Irish at it; now the EE are at it too.
So if you are thinking of emigrating, bear in mind its going to be like little Poland, or little Lithuania when you do.
Don't worry you will get a minimum wage job if you really want one, working shifts, with no social life or workmates to chat to on your breaks.
But what do I know? I am only here 7 years in utopia. The others on here know best.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 8:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ireland full of Eastern Europeans now

Isn't that why the UK voted for Brexit?to keep those sort of people out and let the British workers fill the jobs? only problem is that the British workers will feel that sort of work is way beneath them.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EndaKenny
Ireland is full of Eastern Europeans now.
I moved here from London 7 years ago, and there weren't as many then.
But now the increase is more noticible; Lithuanians, Slovakians, Polish.
Even in small rural towns you now see Polski Sklep and Lithuanica shops where other shops are closing down. Its very telling.
Forget emigrating and trying to get a job in hotels, cafes, shops etc; as they are mainly Eastern European staffed, with an EE manager.
Often the EE workers are third-level educated and speak 2 or more languages; so they are better value employees than the Irish.
One of my neighbours; a 25 year old Irish girl jacked her job in after 9 months in Aldi. She got sick of all the Polish staff only speaking Polish and shunning her. They don't mix and integrate with the Irish at all.
And if you are coming from England with an English accent? Forget trying to get a job. You are treated like a second-class citizen here. That's the reality.
In England, gaining emplyment comes down to ones; skills, suitability, qualifications, experience.
In Ireland its a case of; not what you know, but who you know. Polish managers hire Polish staff. The Irish don't get a look in, and the English? Forget it, they are way down the list.
It takes one a while to see it, and then a while longer to accept the reality.
The first 2 years one sees Ireland through the eyes of a tourist; then later a resident.
Don't get me wrong, Ireland is great if one is retired; or has a cash lump sum to buy a house with no mortgage, and a UK pension to live on.
But for anyone with kids, or renting, or paying a mortgage; its not the utopia-like place people talk about on here.
I applied for a job here recently, 1 position vacant; over 400 applicants.
I was shortlisted for interview, 10 in the running. The other 9 were all EE.
Second round of interviews, and its down to 3 candidates; the other 2 were Polish. Polish HR manager, and surprise surprise; Polish candidate gets the job. Waste of time applying when its a 400/1 chance, and in reality that is only if one is EE.
We aren't just talking about middle-management jobs above 40K per year here either, everything from minimum wage to company director level jobs.
Ireland was flooded in the Celtic Tiger with EE labour. From 1995-2008 it was needed as Ireland was booming. But many of the Irish here turned their nose up at the dirty work, the long hours, the minimum wage work. But the EE workers took it and were grateful. Now from 2008 to 2016 many of those minimum wage workers kept their jobs and worked their way up the ladder.
So the boot is on the other foot now, Paddy is applying and hungry for any work going, but its Magda and Marcin interviewing him as they worked their way up to supervisor or manager.
So I don't blame the EE workers for looking after their own. Nepotism and cronyism is rife in Ireland more now than ever, its not just the Irish at it; now the EE are at it too.
So if you are thinking of emigrating, bear in mind its going to be like little Poland, or little Lithuania when you do.
Don't worry you will get a minimum wage job if you really want one, working shifts, with no social life or workmates to chat to on your breaks.
But what do I know? I am only here 7 years in utopia. The others on here know best.
Utter shite and some of the Polish are probably longer here than you. While I agree that people should not speak a foreign language at work when others are around, many Irish and British can't be bothered to speak proper English either. You'll actually find that when you move to other countries it's no different. The UK has Polish too, even Pakistanis. You go to Germany and will also find Polish, maybe even see little Turkey. It's called globalization, just like there are many Irish in the US. Personally I don't have a problem and work with Irish, French, German, Spanish, Italian. If you're looking for work, maybe you should apply in one of the bars in Galway. Plenty of Irish managers also.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Utter shite and some of the Polish are probably longer here than you. While I agree that people should not speak a foreign language at work when others are around, many Irish and British can't be bothered to speak proper English either. You'll actually find that when you move to other countries it's no different. The UK has Polish too, even Pakistanis. You go to Germany and will also find Polish, maybe even see little Turkey. It's called globalization, just like there are many Irish in the US. Personally I don't have a problem and work with Irish, French, German, Spanish, Italian. If you're looking for work, maybe you should apply in one of the bars in Galway. Plenty of Irish managers also.
You are mistaken. I was born in Ireland and lived here 20 years before I emigrated to the UK for work. I came back 7 years ago. So that is 27 years under my belt, living in my country. So my opinion is utter shite is it? You know best. You do realise, that the only one you are showing up here is yourself don't you? Not me. You see that moment when you have to lower yourself to calling someones opinion utter shite, that's when you have just lost the argument right there.
With regard to my employment, I aim a little higher than bar work in a Galway pub. No offence implied if that is your chosen profession.
Senior management to company director level is more my level you see.
I am more the organ grinder than the monkey these days.
For what its worth, in my experience; the Irish have been the first to exploit their own; so its not all nepotism and cronyism to benefit their own here.
I worked for English firms in London, and I never saw or heard of an Irishman to be exploited or abused. But I saw many Irish badly treated by their own.
So one thing the EE labour has over the Irish labour is their loyalty for their own; and the will to help their own where possible; there is no shame in that.
But what do I know? I talk utter shite apparently. Like I said, you know best.
Working in a bar in Galway makes one omniscient so it seems. Well for some.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

You are mistaken. I was born in Ireland and lived here 20 years before I emigrated to the UK for work. I came back 7 years ago. So that is 27 years under my belt, living in my country. So my opinion is utter shite is it? You know best. You do realise, that the only one you are showing up here is yourself don't you? Not me. You see that moment when you have to lower yourself to calling someones opinion utter shite, that's when you have just lost the argument right there.
With regard to my employment, I aim a little higher than bar work in a Galway pub. No offence implied if that is your chosen profession.
Senior management to company director level is more my level you see.
I am more the organ grinder than the monkey these days.
For what its worth, in my experience; the Irish have been the first to exploit their own; so its not all nepotism and cronyism to benefit their own here.
I worked for English firms in London, and I never saw or heard of an Irishman to be exploited or abused. But I saw many Irish badly treated by their own.
So one thing the EE labour has over the Irish labour is their loyalty for their own; and the will to help their own where possible; there is no shame in that.
But what do I know? I talk utter shite apparently. Like I said, you know best.
Working in a bar in Galway makes one omniscient so it seems. Well for some.
Plenty of IT jobs available then if that's your cup of tea. Oh, I forgot that some of these jobs are offered to Irish, but the companies are American and German. We're currently looking for Senior management but obviously you're happy on the dole and don't want to lower yourself working for foreigners.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 12:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Plenty of IT jobs available then if that's your cup of tea. Oh, I forgot that some of these jobs are offered to Irish, but the companies are American and German. We're currently looking for Senior management but obviously you're happy on the dole and don't want to lower yourself working for foreigners.
You are mistaken.
I am employed.
An IT job is not my cup of tea as you out it.
I worked in London for English firms previously; or for foreigners as you put it.
So working for a foreign firm, or foreign people; is no problem at all to me.
For what its worth, I have only ever worked for foreign companies, and never an Irish firm.
You don't get my point, I have tried to break it down to a simpler level for you; but you still don't get it. So I concede, I have failed.
But you know what they say; one cannot educate pork. What would you expect from a pig, only a grunt.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are mistaken.
I am employed.
An IT job is not my cup of tea as you out it.
I worked in London for English firms previously; or for foreigners as you put it.
So working for a foreign firm, or foreign people; is no problem at all to me.
For what its worth, I have only ever worked for foreign companies, and never an Irish firm.
You don't get my point, I have tried to break it down to a simpler level for you; but you still don't get it. So I concede, I have failed.
But you know what they say; one cannot educate pork. What would you expect from a pig, only a grunt.
Maybe that's why Muslims don't eat Pork Oink. Pigs are very clever though.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 12:38 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

As time goes by the Poles and Lithuanians will have children. The children will intermarry with Irish, and other nationalities. The children and grandchildren will not bother to learn Polish, they will only speak English. After a generation or two they will just call themselves Irish, born and bred.

The Poles are usually quite religious Catholics. This will keep alive the Catholic churches in Ireland! In America for instance, there are areas that are "Italian neighbourhoods," but no one speaks Italian. They are all Americans born and bred. It's not doom and gloom for the future. The only thing that will have changed is the DNA makeup of the country. Is that what you are worried about?

Last edited by Mallory; Oct 7th 2016 at 12:40 pm. Reason: /
Old Oct 7th 2016, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mallory
As time goes by the Poles and Lithuanians will have children. The children will intermarry with Irish, and other nationalities. The children and grandchildren will not bother to learn Polish, they will only speak English. After a generation or two they will just call themselves Irish, born and bred.

The Poles are usually quite religious Catholics. This will keep alive the Catholic churches in Ireland! In America for instance, there are areas that are "Italian neighbourhoods," but no one speaks Italian. They are all Americans born and bred. It's not doom and gloom for the future. The only thing that will have changed is the DNA makeup of the country. Is that what you are worried about?
He just seems to be frustrated that he didn't get the job
"I was shortlisted for interview, 10 in the running. The other 9 were all EE.

Now I wonder if he would consider an Employment Advisor Job. I've just seen a job offer online and Irish is required, so I doubt he'd have many Polish applying for that position.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 1:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mallory

You speak the truth here. I am already seeing this with second-generation Polish kids born here. They consider themselves Irish, and why wouldn't they? They are born here the same as I was. Most of them speak both English and Polish though, which is an advantage for them in the future. For example, some of their parents don't speak great English, so at home they all speak Polish. Of course the children speak it with Irish accents, and make some grammatical errors which the parents find amusing. As time goes on, the third-generation will feel more Irish and less Polish I suppose. That's the way it is.
I don't worry about any of it to be honest with you. Multiculturalism has its pros and cons. I have seen both sides of it in the UK. But on balance, I preferred Ireland when it was less mixed and more Irish. But its futile worrying about the negative side of it, as its the future, and reality of what Ireland is now.
What I do think happens, all over Europe in every capital city; is where you have one ethnic minority group settling in one town or city, it quickly becomes a ghetto. For example; Luton, Bradford, Rotherham; in England have a high Muslim/Asian population; and suffer the negative side of high unemployment and lack of integration; as a result.
You make an interesting point about religion; as of course Polish and Irish usually being Catholics; aids integration as they are culturally similar.
But the younger generations are less religious, which I think is a good thing.
For what its worth, when I recruited workers I found often the EE applicants were better educated, with 2 or 3 languages; and generally had a better work ethic compared to Irish or English applicants.
For even money, Magda makes a better worker than Paddy; so I don't blame firms for taking on more Polish than Irish etc.
But from the point of view of the Irish worker, its demoralising; to be an ethnic minority in ones own country and workplace.
Imagine working in a hotel or cafe, and all the other staff are Polish or Slovakian, and they speak their native language; naturally.
But this means the Irish worker can't have any banter or craic at work, and make friends with them. This is a big part of making ones job enjoyable, or in the case of a bad job; bearable.
The Polish will sociallise with Polish workers, and the Irish with Irish; but mixing less so. That is just the way it is.
I just miss the days when all the lads went down the pub on a Friday after work and had a few pints together. And we had some craic and banter at work. This is something the Eastern Europeans struggle with; Irish humour.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Polish will sociallise with Polish workers, and the Irish with Irish; but mixing less so. That is just the way it is.
I just miss the days when all the lads went down the pub on a Friday after work and had a few pints together. And we had some craic and banter at work. This is something the Eastern Europeans struggle with; Irish humour.

Maybe you should visit this Festival:
Polska Eire | PolskaEire Festival 2016
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

So Enda what is the plan ? Have a referendum in the 26 counties and vote to leave the EU ?
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by scot47
So Enda what is the plan ? Have a referendum in the 26 counties and vote to leave the EU ?
Personally I would like to see an Irexit. But realistically there will never be one as the majority of Ireland wants to stay in the EU.
They don't want a border poll either, the reality is neither the North nor the Republic want to unite. The Irish just see the North as a drain on finances, and the legacy of the Troubles isn't something they want to have to deal with.
Few people in Cork or Dublin have ever been to Derry or Belfast for example; and vice versa. Although the border is a line on a map these days, people still have a mental block about it.
The truth is, Ireland's economy would be stronger using Sterling than Euro, but that would never happen either.
The lack of interest in Ireland about the Easter Rising centenary and Brexit respectively summed up the apathetic sheep's lack of interest in anything historical or political. Most people don't care and see Fine Gael and Fianna Fail as the same thing, two cheeks of the same arse.
Voting in a general election is no interest to many, so motivating them about an Irexit referendum would be impossible.
They only got revved up about the water charges, and now this repeal the 8th campaign.
When I first came back 7 years ago I was highly political, like most in the UK. But now I am more apathetic myself, and accept when in Rome do as the Romans do.
Winter fuel allowance went up 2.50 per week for those on the dole. Minimum wage went up from 8.65 per hour to 9.15. Neither apply to me, so I don't care. Oh and the water charges got suspended.
So you see, none of it matter really. I have gone past caring to be honest with you.
I was pleased to see the Brexit though, as I think its better for the UK economy long-term to be independent from the EU.
To answer your question what is my plan; well I am going to smoke more weed and drink more Pinot Grigio, and numb myself to the way Ireland is now. That's the real reason Ireland has a drink problem, its just the Irish numbing the pain by self medicating.

Last edited by EndaKenny; Oct 7th 2016 at 11:18 pm.