British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   Ireland/benefits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/ireland-benefits-799838/)

Sackum Jun 11th 2013 7:34 pm

Ireland/benefits

Hi everyone,
I have been reading posts on here for several months, we have bought a house in Ireland and intend to move over during the school summer holidays, I am not naive and realise we are going to have to pay our way, so we will be bringing money with us and I will find work, I have a couple of options, what I would like to know is how Ireland can ban anyone from claiming benefits for 2 years when here in the UK we are being banned from restricting benefits to immigrants, I only want to know so I can lobby my local MP as I cannot find the information anywhere on the Internet. Please do not think I am a benefit chaser I have worked all my life, I just can't see how one European country can implement these rules and the once great nation can't.

Thank you
Steve

nolanger Jun 13th 2013 11:58 am

Re: Ireland/benefits

If you move from the Common Travel Area (England) and have family already in Ireland the two-year wait may not apply. Better to apply first to find out.

Sackum Jun 13th 2013 5:29 pm

i personally do not need to claim benefits i was just curious as to how Ireland (part of Europe) can ban benefits but (not so Great Britain also part of Europe) are not allowed to restrict benefits to immigrants. Thanks for the reply i thought i had everyone stumped, the whole family can't wait for the summer holidays so we can move over.

sickntired Jun 14th 2013 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Sackum (Post 10755560)
i personally do not need to claim benefits i was just curious as to how Ireland (part of Europe) can ban benefits but (not so Great Britain also part of Europe) are not allowed to restrict benefits to immigrants. Thanks for the reply i thought i had everyone stumped, the whole family can't wait for the summer holidays so we can move over.

You get a job in for one week and pay one contribution to the Revenue Commissioners and that over rules the HRC.

Look at Sean M's info on this

Irehttp://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759974land

not2old Aug 23rd 2013 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sackum (Post 10752132)
Hi everyone,
I have been reading posts on here for several months, we have bought a house in Ireland and intend to move over during the school summer holidays

how did the move go?

Sackum Aug 23rd 2013 7:35 pm

I'd like to say the move went well even though it was hard work and expensive even though we did it ourselves. I am still back and forth with work commitments. My only concern now is that we have moved to county Roscommon and from sickandtireds last post he appears to have serious mental health issues. I have no intention of claiming benefits I have supported myself and family all my life and don't intend to change now. I will probably end up creating jobs as I have employed people for years. I don't want to get into the us and them argument but I'm sure in England there must be at least one irish person claiming benefits. We just want to enjoy the peace the better quality of life and the friendly people we have met so far. You have a lovely country with nice people who seem only too happy to help and offer advice when needed. Just need to get used to the rain.

jonboy Aug 23rd 2013 8:06 pm

There is no, getting used to the rain:( However your biggest challenge will be the scrounging tax man, he is the biggest parasite in the Emerald Isle. He will take your money and give it to politicians and developers and then come back for more:frown:
Great people in a super country being conned by the scum of the earth.

Sackum Aug 23rd 2013 8:25 pm

No change there it is the same in England. At least in Ireland they are giving it to polaticiians. In England we send our taxes to countries like Nigeria to help them enter the space race. And also to France to allow them to weaken the borders so half a million romanions can be here for Christmas. This was a major factor with our move because Ireland appears to be less tolerant to a complete town being took over and the locals speaking a second language

sickntired Aug 24th 2013 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Sackum (Post 10866292)
No change there it is the same in England. At least in Ireland they are giving it to polaticiians. In England we send our taxes to countries like Nigeria to help them enter the space race. And also to France to allow them to weaken the borders so half a million romanions can be here for Christmas. This was a major factor with our move because Ireland appears to be less tolerant to a complete town being took over and the locals speaking a second language

Once the honeymoon period has passed you will see the people for what they really are.

Ballyhaunis in Co.Mayo has 40% of its population who are asylum seekers.

The only thing that upsets the paddies is if you stop them from cutting turf. Not austerity, property tax, water charges, outrageous road taxes, health service cuts, benefit cuts. \But god forbid you stop them cutting ****** turf.

Sackum Aug 24th 2013 10:02 am

Sickntired you really don't know what it is like in England. Obviously the government has more money at its disposal so are more able to hide the real situation. This country is overrun with immigrants it is not the illegal ones that are the problem it is just the shear numbers that have come here. It will only get worse at the end of the year and the attraction here is they can all claim benefits so we have moved to Ireland to live in the middle of nowhere and yes there are downsides but what a difference a bit of space can make and if I don't need to learn polish

sickntired Aug 24th 2013 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Sackum (Post 10866871)
Sickntired you really don't know what it is like in England. Obviously the government has more money at its disposal so are more able to hide the real situation. This country is overrun with immigrants it is not the illegal ones that are the problem it is just the shear numbers that have come here. It will only get worse at the end of the year and the attraction here is they can all claim benefits so we have moved to Ireland to live in the middle of nowhere and yes there are downsides but what a difference a bit of space can make and if I don't need to learn polish

I don't go to England any more but I get reports from relatives about how bad it is. Muslims patrolling the streets telling the infidels to leave their area. I'm worried they'll come to Ireland in their droves and **** up my peace and tranquility.

Sackum Aug 24th 2013 11:07 am

From what I see when I'm on the ferry they are already there. I'm afraid you like us will have to learn to live in perfect harmony with them and adapt you life to suit the minority

Mitzyboy Aug 24th 2013 11:44 am

OK guys lets keep it calm :D

For what it's worth (from the suburbs of Birmingham) I dont see anything like described. I have walked through Sparkbrook with no troubles, and shopped in the food shops there.

The whole world is becoming more cosmopolitan, so we'll all have to get used to living with people from different countries whether we like it ... or not :)

not2old Aug 24th 2013 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sackum (Post 10866937)
From what I see when I'm on the ferry they are already there. I'm afraid you like us will have to learn to live in perfect harmony with them and adapt you life to suit the minority

for now Ireland is 1% of them others & with ease of movement within the EU, global travel etc etc you just never know who will end up on your doorstep.

My view, my picture is - The UK is still somewhat prosperous compared to other places - it has an open door policy of 'welcome one, welcome all' to multi-ethnic benefits Britain. Most of the ethnic live in the major towns & cities, the Eatern Europeans go where they get free housing + the benefits & do jobs for less money than the locals scroungers.

Ireland the nice small piece of 4 million people struggling to survive has to abide by European law when anyone from the CTA or Eurpoe pops over.

The old folks of Ireland or long time settlers likely want to protect their turf, but its inevitable slowly the green will turn a different colour.

sickntired says he's been in Ireland 13 years with the first 3 in Dublin the rest in the clutchies.

Kevrev wants to move over so does irish born wild goose the muslim as does goosegirl from Birminghan

I don't know if sickntired (snip) is simply winding us all up or has a genuine anger/hatred for outsiders - that's his problem. But why spew that anger towards posters on this forum trying to discuss or ask questions about Ireland ... I'm baffled.

I'm of Irish descent & would NEVER intoxicate a thread by telling folks to buzzzz off.

Maybe I've been away from the UK too long, have lived in several countires along the way spending most my adult years in a multicultural- multi-ethnic place too long & has gotten used to it.

Irleand appeals too me as it does others. My reason is I'm retired - I'm not taking anyones job, I'll bring in money & likely qualify for some social benefit being a British citizen not unlike an Irish person going to mainland UK or any other EU member state

Others already there such as sackum & Sean MacMaghnuis want to be there is my guess to add value, likely have a nice place for their family to live etc etc

But if sickntired is anything to go by its looks like the irsh welcome mat is about to be pulled from under you.

Live & let live - Ireland is big enough for everyone that can make it home

sickntired Aug 24th 2013 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sackum (Post 10866937)

No sorry not possible.