Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Immigration to Ireland from the USA?

Immigration to Ireland from the USA?

Old Nov 30th 2015, 2:19 am
Just Joined

geezer49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration to Ireland from the USA?

My wife and I are considering the possibility of relocating to Ireland.

My wife and I reside in the USA. I am a US Citizen and my wife is a UK Citizen. One of my children is a US/UK citizen and my other child is a US Citizen who's birth was never registered with the UK.

I am sure that some of these details aren't relevant, but I'd like to get them out of the way in an effort to establish some clarity.

I have done some reading and it seems like a UK citizen has an advantage of sorts when it comes to moving to Ireland and remaining there as opposed to other EU Citizens. Not being snooty, but again would like some clarity and would like to utilize that to our advantage if even applicable.

Could someone break down what would need to be done for us to immigrate there and remain there either for a few years or indefinitely if things go right?

I was also reading that IT Engineers (which I am) seem to qualify for some sort of visa based upon some need or demand? Again, probably irrelevant.

I took a look at the Irish Immigration website, but with such a big move being a possibility I wanted further clarity. It seems that it would be pretty easy for us to relocate to Ireland and it seems to good to be true as opposed to the difficult requirements of moving to the UK....(used to live there with her...was so much easier to immigrate there 10 years ago)!

What would be needed for all of us to immigrate and remain?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th 2015, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration to Ireland from the USA?

Originally Posted by geezer49
My wife and I are considering the possibility of relocating to Ireland.

My wife and I reside in the USA. I am a US Citizen and my wife is a UK Citizen. One of my children is a US/UK citizen and my other child is a US Citizen who's birth was never registered with the UK.

I am sure that some of these details aren't relevant, but I'd like to get them out of the way in an effort to establish some clarity.

I have done some reading and it seems like a UK citizen has an advantage of sorts when it comes to moving to Ireland and remaining there as opposed to other EU Citizens. Not being snooty, but again would like some clarity and would like to utilize that to our advantage if even applicable.

Could someone break down what would need to be done for us to immigrate there and remain there either for a few years or indefinitely if things go right?

I was also reading that IT Engineers (which I am) seem to qualify for some sort of visa based upon some need or demand? Again, probably irrelevant.

I took a look at the Irish Immigration website, but with such a big move being a possibility I wanted further clarity. It seems that it would be pretty easy for us to relocate to Ireland and it seems to good to be true as opposed to the difficult requirements of moving to the UK....(used to live there with her...was so much easier to immigrate there 10 years ago)!

What would be needed for all of us to immigrate and remain?

Thanks!
Moving should be no problem, as mentioned here.

I am a non-EU citizen. I have a partner who is an EU citizen. Can I apply for residency in Ireland?

Yes. You will need to prove a 2 year durable relationship. For more information go to: Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Home Page or contact Crosscare Migrant Project.

You're best off to ring and they can explain the process. As an IT Engineer, you should also have no problem finding a job here in Ireland and there are plenty of US companies moving here. You will obviously have to be close enough to the major cities/towns, but I'd concentrate on that when you know how the visa process works.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 11:33 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Is your other child a child of the UK citizen? if so that child will be a UK citizen already, nothing to do with the fact that you didn't register the birth in the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.

This is what I read....again this seems like it might lead to an equal or easier route (at least in my families case) than it would for the rest of the UK....again not being condescending, just happened to notice this.

I'll give them a buzz.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Moving should be no problem, as mentioned here.

I am a non-EU citizen. I have a partner who is an EU citizen. Can I apply for residency in Ireland?

Yes. You will need to prove a 2 year durable relationship. For more information go to: Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Home Page or contact Crosscare Migrant Project.

You're best off to ring and they can explain the process. As an IT Engineer, you should also have no problem finding a job here in Ireland and there are plenty of US companies moving here. You will obviously have to be close enough to the major cities/towns, but I'd concentrate on that when you know how the visa process works.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that is correct. My other child is the child of a UK citizen. I had no idea that UK citizen was implicit like it is in the USA, but rather contingent upon whether or not the other child's birth was registered. We also hear that there may be a fine for not registering the other child's birth with the UK. Even if true, maybe we confused the need to register with citizenship not being an automated process.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Is your other child a child of the UK citizen? if so that child will be a UK citizen already, nothing to do with the fact that you didn't register the birth in the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

No fine.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that is correct. My other child is the child of a UK citizen. I had no idea that UK citizen was implicit like it is in the USA, but rather contingent upon whether or not the other child's birth was registered. We also hear that there may be a fine for not registering the other child's birth with the UK. Even if true, maybe we confused the need to register with citizenship not being an automated process.
Like Scot47 said, there is no fine, and whether you registered the birth has nothing to do with whether a child has British citizenship. The birth can be registered up to age 18, so perhaps you should explore registering your other son too. ..... Anyhow assuming that both your sons have the same mother (one detail you appear to have left out), then if one is already registered as British, registering and/or obtaining a British passport for the other should be just a formality. ..... That said as US Citizens they will also be required to travel into and out of the US on their US passport.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

My sister and I are both joint US/UK citizens; she was born in Cincinnati and her birth wasn't registered in the UK; she got her UK citizenship later with no problem (she was over 18 as well).
Old Dec 4th 2015, 11:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A child born abroad to a British citizen otherwise than by descent is a British citizen automatically from birth. There is no mandatory registration and there certainly isn't a fine! They can choose whether to apply for consular birth registration or directly for their passport.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Like Scot47 said, there is no fine, and whether you registered the birth has nothing to do with whether a child has British citizenship. The birth can be registered up to age 18, so perhaps you should explore registering your other son too. ..... Anyhow assuming that both your sons have the same mother (one detail you appear to have left out), then if one is already registered as British, registering and/or obtaining a British passport for the other should be just a formality. ..... That said as US Citizens they will also be required to travel into and out of the US on their US passport.
Originally Posted by Cynic
My sister and I are both joint US/UK citizens; she was born in Cincinnati and her birth wasn't registered in the UK; she got her UK citizenship later with no problem (she was over 18 as well).
No age restriction on consular birth registration although it has now been restricted to those born on or after 1 January 1983. Consular birth registration is also not required in order to obtain a British passport although it is useful.

The age restriction concerns a child who is not automatically British at birth but is able to be registered as a British citizen under one of the provisions of Section 3 of the British Nationality Act 1981. This has to be done by the age of 18.

Last edited by BritInParis; Dec 4th 2015 at 11:39 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
..... The age restriction concerns a child who is not automatically British at birth but is able to be registered as a British citizen under one of the provisions of Section 3 of the British Nationality Act 1981. This has to be done by the age of 18.
That explains my sisters situation, she was born before that.