Reload this Page >

IMMIGRATING TO IRELAND FROM SA BUT BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDERS

IMMIGRATING TO IRELAND FROM SA BUT BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDERS

Old Feb 15th 2016, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Zelda247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IMMIGRATING TO IRELAND FROM SA BUT BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDERS

Originally Posted by Moses2013
No, you don't get it. Are you telling me that the whole of Northern Ireland has better clinics/staff than the Republic? You'll find that Dublin has some excellent clinics/staff and even the NHS sends patients from the North to the Republic (vice versa). Fact is that you are living rural and won't have the same services as people in the cities. If you want those services, you will need to go to other clinics, or avoid the busier public hospitals.

While the North might have NHS, doesn't mean that you will get better service and you are also paying for it (tax). Salaries are generally lower in the North, so even with a private health plan in the Republic you are often better off financially with the benefit of being able to go to private clinics. People are mixing up Health Services with the System (management). Even in Galway I can go to a GP on Sunday, while in many parts of the UK it was impossible.
I give up Moses you are you are truly on another planet with rose tinted glasses. As I have told you I have friends and family who live in N.I. and all voice that the health service is excellent, end of story. To go to one of your so called Clinics in ROI you have to fork out a lot of cash which is fine when you have it and can afford private healthcare but not for people who have to live on a small state pension.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zelda247
I give up Moses you are you are truly on another planet with rose tinted glasses. As I have told you I have friends and family who live in N.I. and all voice that the health service is excellent, end of story. To go to one of your so called Clinics in ROI you have to fork out a lot of cash which is fine when you have it and can afford private healthcare but not for people who have to live on a small state pension.
First of all you do not have to fork out a lot of cash and I've posted the rules. Again, if the health service is excellent in the North, why don't you go to the North? If you are receiving a UK State pension, you don't even have to pay anything anyway, so what's the problem? You are trying to make it more difficult than it is for yourself. Every country and system can work out different for each individual, so that's why you have to know the figures and background, but telling everyone not to move is silly.
There are plenty of people who are better off here and don't live in poverty, just like there are people better off in the UK. I agree it can be tough for pensioners with a small pension, that's why it's now even more important to have a pension plan. My generation will not even receive a state pension, but if we don't want waiting lists and the best public services, people have to be prepared to pay more.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
While the North might have NHS, doesn't mean that you will get better service and you are also paying for it (tax). Salaries are generally lower in the North, so even with a private health plan in the Republic you are often better off financially with the benefit of being able to go to private clinics. People are mixing up Health Services with the System (management). Even in Galway I can go to a GP on Sunday, while in many parts of the UK it was impossible.
Well, the OP's parents are both retired and not likely to work. So the lower wages and higher taxes in NI will not likely to affect them. It is an okay health system (NHS) they don't need to pay out a lot for versus a great health service where they pay upfront. My point is that depended on their pension income, they can make the decision between the two. All I am trying to say to the OP is that there is more than one option available.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
Well, the OP's parents are both retired and not likely to work. So the lower wages and higher taxes in NI will not likely to affect them. It is an okay health system (NHS) they don't need to pay out a lot for versus a great health service where they pay upfront. My point is that depended on their pension income, they can make the decision between the two. All I am trying to say to the OP is that there is more than one option available.
I agree with you and that's fair enough from your side. Any option can work, but other people are so quick to judge here without knowing any background from posters.

The UK could work, or you could take advantage of the exchange rate and use the money for health care if that's the issue and still have more money left. I also posted the rules for people with a UK State pension, so there are plenty of options available if someone is serious about it.

I never said that the NHS is worse/better, but telling people that anywhere in the UK is better than the Republic when it comes to healthcare, is very misleading. Just because it's free at source doesn't mean the quality is good at every hospital without any waiting lists. Even private health insurance here doesn't guarantee you'll get the best consultant. I agree that there's always room for improvement when it comes to the health system/management in general.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify a few things for you Moses:
  • These is no S1 form to fill out, you apply for one from the International Pension Centre in Newcastle, these are now only issued to British citizens who are in receipt of a UK State Pension. This scheme (which changed towards the end of last year), only applies to former UK residents who are in receipt of the UK state pension and wish to move abroad to another EEA country. This link takes you to the relevant NHS website which tells you how to apply - there is a phone number there you can ring and ask for the details. Many qualifying Brit expats use this scheme.
  • The cross-border funding for the UK, is a separate scheme for UK residents, resident in the UK and is sponsored (paid for) by your local CCG and is normally initiated by your UK GP who refers you abroad because the specific treatment you need is not available in the UK.
  • Many people (who can afford it) in Ireland take out private health insurance to enable them to use the private healthcare facilities there which are much better than the State system. My company has 5 sites in the south; because of the poor state of the publicly funded scheme, we pay for their private healthcare insurance.
Hope this helps.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cynic
Just to clarify a few things for you Moses:
  • These is no S1 form to fill out, you apply for one from the International Pension Centre in Newcastle, these are now only issued to British citizens who are in receipt of a UK State Pension. This scheme (which changed towards the end of last year), only applies to former UK residents who are in receipt of the UK state pension and wish to move abroad to another EEA country. This link takes you to the relevant NHS website which tells you how to apply - there is a phone number there you can ring and ask for the details. Many qualifying Brit expats use this scheme.
  • The cross-border funding for the UK, is a separate scheme for UK residents, resident in the UK and is sponsored (paid for) by your local CCG and is normally initiated by your UK GP who refers you abroad because the treatment you need is not available in the UK.
  • Many people (who can afford it) in Ireland take out private health insurance to enable them to use the private healthcare facilities there which are much better than the State system. My company has 5 sites in the south; because of the poor state of the publicly funded scheme, we pay for their private healthcare insurance.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Cynic, but that's exactly what I posted here several times (from post #6 ongoing). If you are living in an EEA country or Switzerland and you receive a UK State Pension or long-term Incapacity Benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You'll need to apply for a certificate of entitlement also known as an S1 form. If you are living in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland then the form is called E121.You can apply for your form via the International Pension Centre on 0191 218 7777. Once issued, register the S1/E121 form with the relevant authority abroad. Often you need to do this before you can register with a GP surgery or obtain a medical card. Once you have registered your S1/E121 in the country you are moving to, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 17th 2016 at 7:06 am.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cynic
  • The cross-border funding for the UK, is a separate scheme for UK residents, resident in the UK and is sponsored (paid for) by your local CCG and is normally initiated by your UK GP who refers you abroad because the specific treatment you need is not available in the UK.
Hope this helps.
And just to note that cross border is not only for UK citizens, but for EU citizens (or in this case Irish):
What is the Cross Border Directive and how does it work?1) How does this scheme work?
The Cross Border Directive (CBD) allows for patients ordinarily resident in Ireland who require and are entitled to public healthcare services to be referred to another EU/EEA* member state for that care and be reimbursed in accordance with the legislation. It will be a matter for the patient and his/her referring doctor to identify the clinician abroad and satisfy him/herself in relation to the qualifications, quality and safety of the services being availed of in the other jurisdiction. Funding will only be reimbursed for healthcare that is publicly funded and available in Ireland and which is not contrary to Irish legislation. Reimbursement will be made in line with published reimbursement rates available from the National Contact Point (NCP). Reimbursement will only be made to the patient or his or her parents/guardian in the case of a child. 2) What treatments are available under the scheme?
Any service which is provided by the public health services in Ireland can be availed of under the Cross Border Directive (CBD), for example
  • acute/psychiatric hospital services – day, inpatient, outpatient care,
  • community based outpatient care e.g.:
  • dental/orthodontics services (some exceptions i.e. dental screening services in schools)
  • speech & language services
  • occupational therapy services (some exceptions i.e. assessment for aids at home)
  • psychology services
  • physiotherapy services
  • disability services
  • methadone programme
  • ophthalmic (eye tests etc) services
  • mental health services
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Good Luck with trying to get the Irish Health System to co-operative on any of the above! also bear in mind if you do take out Health Insurance that there is a huge difference in the cost for someone like Moses and an old age pensioner. I think Moses pays 35 euros a month, we have been quoted around 500 euros a month for the 2 of us.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zelda247
Good Luck with trying to get the Irish Health System to co-operative on any of the above! also bear in mind if you do take out Health Insurance that there is a huge difference in the cost for someone like Moses and an old age pensioner. I think Moses pays 35 euros a month, we have been quoted around 500 euros a month for the 2 of us.
If you have a good GP and actually make them aware what you want, they will cooperate. Some might not even know what services are available and others just might be difficult, but it's your right and you just have to be pushy. In all honesty, I just want to help and there are options.

If you're not happy with your GP, go to a better one. Yes I pay around €35 through work, but even pensioners do not have to pay what you've been quoted. I know it can be difficult for pensioners and not everyone is good with computers, but family or friends can help. It's no different with any other insurance (car/home) and the ones who don't shop around will always pay more. This is also a good site Compare Health Insurance in Ireland | HIA
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 10:35 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym01
Good day,

Can you kindly assist with some queries.
My Parents are thinking of immigrating to Ireland. They immigrated from the UK to South African in the 70s and are now looking at moving to Ireland. My Dad receives a British Pension as well as they have their South African Pension here.

What are the Pro's and Con's for Ireland. Would they be better off in Ireland than UK.
apples for apples, in a nutshell

In the UK nanny state, both your parents could get free medical, prescriptions & travel pass.

UK: Likely after 3 years your Dad may qualify for Attendance Allowance. If they move to Northern Ireland, he will qualify after 6 months residence (different rules NI to mainland UK).

Attendance Allowance - eligibility | nidirect

House prices are higher in middle UK for comparable to Ireland

Council property tax in the UK is approx 5x what they'd pay in Ireland

Questionable wait times for healthcare & public hospitals in Ireland compared to mainland UK. Fee for service in Ireland unless one has high cost (over 60's) medical insurance

Cost of living : groceries, utilities - its a a balancing act depending where you live in each country

Income tax: how much income do you have- compare the tax rates (google is your friend)

Density crowded places, crowded spaces: Ireland ranks more favourable than the UK unless folks live UK rural, Northern Ireland is an option, or on some Scottish island (look at the isle of Bute)

Climate: well, its not as warm as SA, it could be an adjustment for them, especially when there are health considerations. Then again, central heating (no coal fires now) fixes the winter damp months.

Expect winters in the 0'c- 5c temperatures, summer, some hot humid days, average 15 -20'c

Take a look at Northern Ireland in and around Coleraine & coastal surroundings - its something worth considering that might work for your parents
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Questionable wait times for healthcare & public hospitals in Ireland compared to mainland UK. Fee for service in Ireland unless one has high cost (over 60's) medical insurance
Just to clarify - the purpose of health insurance is to bypass the long public wait times and access treatment in a private hospital. If you to go a public hospital, then you generally don't pay for treatment, you only pay for an admission fee if you present at A+E (100 euro, not payable if you have been referred by a GP or if you are admitted to the hospital) and an overnight fee (if you stay overnight, 75 euro per night to a max of 750 euro per year). None of these charges apply if you have a medical card.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 11:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Just to clarify - the purpose of health insurance is to bypass the long public wait times and access treatment in a private hospital. If you to go a public hospital, then you generally don't pay for treatment, you only pay for an admission fee if you present at A+E (100 euro, not payable if you have been referred by a GP or if you are admitted to the hospital) and an overnight fee (if you stay overnight, 75 euro per night to a max of 750 euro per year). None of these charges apply if you have a medical card.
Thanks for that information
Old Mar 4th 2016, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by not2old
Thanks for that information
bc2015 is right and it's capped at €750 a year if you have no form of health insurance, or medical card. Some people think if you have no health insurance you'll be paying thousands, but that's not the case.

Private health insurance just gives you more options and it just depends what you want covered. It gives you the options to avoid busy public hospitals. Saying that, although I have access to private clinics, the one time I needed to go to A&E I still went to the public hospital and was seen in no time. The staff were excellent and I have no complaints, but it was a Monday afternoon. It's a different story when you go on a Friday night with all the drunk locals and tourists, but that's the same in every bigger city.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Private Health Insurance is a way of paying to jump the queue.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
Private Health Insurance is a way of paying to jump the queue.
Just remember it does not cover existing conditions and is a lot more expensive for pensioners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.