Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

How will Dublin receive an English man?

How will Dublin receive an English man?

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:41 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all
Default Re: How will Dublin receive an English man?

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Plenty of Brits cant stand the Royals. Im one of them!
But you are not a Brit though, you are Irish.
I am no fan of the Royal family myself.
I always found it ironic that my aunt in the IRA used to tune in to the Queen's speech every Christmas day. Both her and my mother used to have a good old laugh at her.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:53 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
But you are not a Brit though, you are Irish.
I am no fan of the Royal family myself.
I always found it ironic that my aunt in the IRA used to tune in to the Queen's speech every Christmas day. Both her and my mother used to have a good old laugh at her.
I'm intrigued by this one, old cock.
With very few exceptions such as the Price sisters and Bernadette Devlin the IRA was almost exclusively a male preserve.
A woman's job was to be at home suckling the young ones while the men of the house were scurrying about the night scraping away with shovels to bury the poor innocent sods they executed with a bullet to the back of the head.
This IRA aunt of yours - is she now gainfully employed upholding the peace process ? Does she accept the error of her ways ? Is she aghast that McGuinness, who has been taking the Queen's Shilling for years ( well, someone had to be MI6's mole at the very top ) is now going to shake the old bird's hand ?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:17 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
I'm intrigued by this one, old cock.
With very few exceptions such as the Price sisters and Bernadette Devlin the IRA was almost exclusively a male preserve.
A woman's job was to be at home suckling the young ones while the men of the house were scurrying about the night scraping away with shovels to bury the poor innocent sods they executed with a bullet to the back of the head.
This IRA aunt of yours - is she now gainfully employed upholding the peace process ? Does she accept the error of her ways ? Is she aghast that McGuinness, who has been taking the Queen's Shilling for years ( well, someone had to be MI6's mole at the very top ) is now going to shake the old bird's hand ?
The majority of IRA volunteers were male, but there were also many female volunteers; more than you would think. The number of female volunteers reached a peak in the 1970's. The book Writings From Prison by Bobby Sands; confirms this as many female IRA volunteers wrote to him in Long Kesh from Armagh Prison while he was on hunger strike.
My Aunt is dead.
I think Martin McGuinness is doing a good job. I support his shaking the Queens hand; as this is symbolic of the peace process, and will improve relations between Britain and Ireland. The end of The Troubles, and the signing of the Good Friday agreement have done great things for the peace process. Building bridges between nationalist and loyalist communities in the North will improve things further, and that begins with heads of state building better relations.
There has always been a close relationship between British Intelligence and Republicans. During The Troubles they often exchanged information, of course some of them were on each others payroll; that is a given. But it was more a case of favours done rather than money changing hands.

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Jun 22nd 2012 at 11:56 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

honeybunny2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think u feel the odd one out in any country u are not familiar with. Only time can change that. I wish u well and I admire your intentions for love. I am a Dublin born and bred girl but I would not live there again for all the tea in china. Best of luck!
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Donning my suit or armour and putting my head above the parapet to join this thread,I will would like to share my experience. My folks left Blackrock in the mid 50's chasing the dream in Manchester. Being only a lad,I finished my schooling in Stretford. Within three years I had lost most of my Irish accent and sounded like someone from Eastenders twinned with Gdansk.
My Ma couldn't settle,so within six years,decided to return,ending up in Dun Laoghaire. Monkstown Farm to be exact,my younger brother still lives there. Our house was directly opposite Ronnie Drews' parents house!! I once dated Ronnies sister but that is another matter.
Inbetween all this,I had joined the Royal Navy. And depending on where I was based,ship or shore,I would get a couple of leaves per year. My travel ticket was usually Portsmouth to Dun Laoghaire. This was between 1961-1971. I used to catch the ferry from Holyhead,and travelled in my Navy uniform!! But when we docked in D.L., I had to tie my cap to my suitcase(to show I wasn't invading,this is true...).The customs lads were great,they would just wave me through. The stuff I brought in(Ireland in those days prohibited the sale of condoms and once I brought in a gross,not one was used in anger).
Over the years I spent all my leaves in D.L. and never had a problem what with my dodgy accent of sorts. But I did notice that when the troubles started up North,things definitely felt different. Just a feeling. I worked like mad on getting me Oirish back but failed. To be sure,to be sure. I also did two tours in Derry,1964 and 1966 and still love the place.
I have uploaded two photos,taken in 1962,outside our house in the Farm,with the Drew residence opposite. My Dad and my best mate Noel is in one of them,I am the one in the white shirt...dashing,very dashing.
Attached Thumbnails How will Dublin receive an English man?-me-noel-dad.jpg   How will Dublin receive an English man?-nuala-noel-dad.jpg  
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:44 am
Banned

Great story Michael. Thanks for that.
I hope you make it back to Ireland.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:16 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting story M Oge, thanks for the insight.