Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:52 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

Originally Posted by Blackberry
Yankee, as you can see from the poster who claims not to be a racist - there is plenty of racism in Ireland whether in the countryside or the city.

This is an extract from Dublin City University magazine :-

Even though racist parties did not win popular support in the election, there is still a growing problem with racism in Ireland. An increasing number of racist assaults and abuse suffered by those whose skin colour or ethnic appearance marks them out, is clear evidence we do have a problem in Ireland. There is also a consistency in the accounts given by black and Asian Irish people or long-term residents in Ireland from ethnic minorities, that they encounter more abuse now than they ever did in the past. Attitude surveys carried out in Ireland would also suggest that we are not particularly tolerant when compared to other European countries. There is an urgent need for very proactive anti-racist campaigns.
I think it would be quite scary and disappointing to visit a place as a money spending tourist in Ireland only to be stereotype and insulted for simply travelling while being a person of color.That is not a pleasant experience or even something one would expect.

I could see how a person would feel a deep frustration after not just visiting there but living there for a period of time if you are constantly rejected based on ethnic reasons.When many African Americans think of Ireland the thoughts of wonderful people such as the human rights activist and Rock legend Bono come to mind.I think it would be very unsettling if the reality were just the opposite.

No reasonable person is expecting a utopia in Ireland but I think knowing their history and the struggle of the Irish for peace and being a supporter of theirs, it can be a bit surprising if one were to visit Ireland only to be a victim of discrimination.

Dublin has a good reputation for hosting people of all ethnicities and hopefully in time that will be true of all areas in Ireland.I do believe some of this behavior is generational.Younger Irish people don't have some of the same beliefs I am told.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:22 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Exactly, immigrants or foreign workers are not the reason we are in a recession in Ireland my view is its been caused by spiraling house prices and cost of living have far surpassed wages,
so no one can afford to buy new houses esp first time buyers (especially after the government took away the first time buyers grant)

they built more house than there was a demand for. in the village were I am from they built loads of houses and couldn't sell them so they are all empty no one will buy them or can would be the correct reason.

the residential building trade started to slow down and soon no work companies closed down and now its very hard to get work

as for our health service HSE is in my opinion full of to many chiefs and not enough Indians so a load of people getting paid to much doing nothing they have made our health service worse. they are taking services away from people instead of making it better.

but taking advantage of a worker trying to make a new life in a new country happens every were. I'm in Australia and we have had friends they were meant to be really good friends try and pull a fast one on us and try and get nearly 5000 off us so that's the end of that friend ship sadly

then My DH job had him working over time and wouldn't pay him for it.

then we are moving out of one rental in to another and they are trying to get us to pay for stuff that needed repair before we moved in. and just think they can turn up at any time to view the house and not clear it with us.

Im very concerned to think that any one travelling in Ireland will be treated unfairly because they are black or Asian this is very sad and I hope does not happen to often

I'm sorry that Blackberry feels this way but I hope that sooner rather than later these things stop happening and I'm sure they will
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:01 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

well the HSE are the biggest employer and your right there lot money wasted there the money not get to the right people there

there is lot off people here in Ireland that are scamming the system and need to deal with and fast befor there no cash left

i pay my tax in Eu and time some one has come out and say what i have , two many people are betting around the bush here not every non national is up whats going on , there,s irish at it two , we see scam that go on every day from email , if it the lottos are letter ask to help get funds from one account
think i get 20 - 30 mails aday about help some one out

this is forum and you can say what you want here and i have and hope not pisssed off any one , i didnt meant to ofend people colour race are what every
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:50 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I think it would be quite scary and disappointing to visit a place as a money spending tourist in Ireland only to be stereotype and insulted for simply travelling while being a person of color.That is not a pleasant experience or even something one would expect.

I could see how a person would feel a deep frustration after not just visiting there but living there for a period of time if you are constantly rejected based on ethnic reasons.When many African Americans think of Ireland the thoughts of wonderful people such as the human rights activist and Rock legend Bono come to mind.I think it would be very unsettling if the reality were just the opposite.

No reasonable person is expecting a utopia in Ireland but I think knowing their history and the struggle of the Irish for peace and being a supporter of theirs, it can be a bit surprising if one were to visit Ireland only to be a victim of discrimination.

Dublin has a good reputation for hosting people of all ethnicities and hopefully in time that will be true of all areas in Ireland.I do believe some of this behavior is generational.Younger Irish people don't have some of the same beliefs I am told.

I think a people mutter these things in private but wouldn't actually be prejudicial in person. My London accent gets me a chilly welcome from time to time. I do hate my accent over here. A woman actually said to me the other day while chatting about living here, shame about the accent. Cheeky cow
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:12 am

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I think a people mutter these things in private but wouldn't actually be prejudicial in person. My London accent gets me a chilly welcome from time to time. I do hate my accent over here. A woman actually said to me the other day while chatting about living here, shame about the accent. Cheeky cow
she did not well ild take it as a compliment she must of liked you

i know us irish are terrible for slagging
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

qwerta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

+1

Being English and living in Ireland can be VERY challenging, at times.

At times, I feel absolutely sick to the back teeth of being treated like a second class citizen, by everyone from a taxi driver to the woman in the post office.

The Irish are a friendly people. Yes, they can be, at times. I'm often greeted with a smile when I meet people. In the bank, in the shops, wherever really. But as soon as my English accent is heard, that smile (perhaps subconsciously), disappears. The "friendliness" is weakened.

Perhaps it comes from a deep-rooted distrust of the English, rather than dislike, as such. Who knows.

800 years of oppression. Please. Yes, the British did some terrible things to Ireland and its' people. Since living in Ireland, I make it my business to read, and learn, as much as possible about the history of Ireland and it's relationship with Britain (although finding unbiased material - on either side - is sometimes difficult). There's no denying the history between the two nations. But history is history. No?

Incidentally, the Vikings invaded Britain. As did the Normans, as did the Romans. What's my opinion of the average Scandinavian, French or Italian person I meet? Well, it's not based on anything their ancestors did, that's for sure!

Why must Irish people keep alive this anti-English mindset? Does it benefit them to do so? My friend's little boy (they're Malaysian, living here in Ireland), came back from school once, and he told me about his history lesson that he had that day. The kids were told that, as they listen to the story being read, they were to "boo" every time the words England or English were mentioned. The little boy is only 9 years old, and I don't see any reason he'd have to make this up. Needless to say, it's no wonder why children who experience things like this grow up thinking English=bad.

But don't get me wrong, not every Irish person shows this mindset. The lads I work with (majority Irish) are a great craic. We have a good laugh everyday, really makes work enjoyable! In fact, I've made some really good friends at work.

Which brings me back to the hypothesis: distrust, rather than dislike, of the English. If so, it would explain how distrust can be removed once people get to know one another. The lads at work know me, and I know them (for the past 2 years in fact). We get on grand, so no distrust, and no bad feeling. Compare this with Joe Soap in the post office, with whom I am not acquainted, and who presents a (subconscious) frown when an English accent is revealed. Distrust, or dislike?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:05 am
Banned

Blackberry is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a people mutter these things in private but wouldn't actually be prejudicial in person.
I'm not sure I understand this? Sounds like 'I'm not a racist BUT....'!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jurdyr
well the HSE are the biggest employer and your right there lot money wasted there the money not get to the right people there

there is lot off people here in Ireland that are scamming the system and need to deal with and fast befor there no cash left

i pay my tax in Eu and time some one has come out and say what i have , two many people are betting around the bush here not every non national is up whats going on , there,s irish at it two , we see scam that go on every day from email , if it the lottos are letter ask to help get funds from one account
think i get 20 - 30 mails aday about help some one out

this is forum and you can say what you want here and i have and hope not pisssed off any one , i didnt meant to ofend people colour race are what every
Actually, check the site rules. You can't say what you want here' and yes you have caused offence. I have informed the moderator but whether they do anything remains to be seen.

SITE RULES

There may be places where sexually explicit, racist, obscene or vulgar language, graphics or behavior is appropriate however BritishExpats.com is NOT one of them. We do not alllow graphics that contain nude body parts, sexually-orientated or violent acts. Should anyone use inappropriate language, start a personal attack, or engage in hate speech, they will be barred from all further discussions.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
That is the correct approach to take never a good ideal to blame the small person on the totem pole.Immigrants take jobs away from citizens in every country.You are correct to point out that lower wages is indeed the reason why employers hire immigrants instead of the national citizens who are less likely to work for half as much.Same thing happens here in America.There are people from Latin America,Europe,Asia and other regions of the world that work in America doing a job that could be filled by a American born citizen.Its never fair to blame the immigrant who is playing by the rules set up by the host country and employer.

I have no doubt these same behaviors are taking place in Britain concerning immigrant hiring. My hope is that all can avoid the small minded knee jerk reaction to a problem that results in the type of anger and scape goating of people.The person who jurdyr defamed as being the problem in Ireland is not the reason why Ireland is suffering tough times.Intelligent people must keep their wits about them.Hopefully jurdyr can learn to rise to this challenge and not surrender to it or be a victimized by these conditions.
Immigrant labour is not only confined to low paid jobs but is also essential to provide services where there simply isn't enough local skilled labour. I know, for example, that in the UK there wouldn't be enough dentists if it wasn't for immigrant dentists.

I am also a highly qualified medical professional with clinical skills and expertise they have been lacking in Mayo General for 2yrs. I sent my CV to the medical director there before my arrival in Ireland 8 months ago and since then she has been 'fighting' the HSE to finance the post. Meanwhile, patients who need my care are having to travel to Galway for treatment - probably at the tax payers expense - and definitely at a greater expense than recruiting a local clinician!

Yes the decisions made by the 'suits' at the HSE leave a lot to be desired.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:30 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
she did not well ild take it as a compliment she must of liked you

i know us irish are terrible for slagging

Ooh i know im not that precious.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:31 pm
Banned

LONDONUCK - Why do you hate your accent? More to the point - why should you be made to feel you should hate your accent? Your accent is part of who you are and you shouldn't hate it because of the reaction of a few bigots. That's like me saying I hate my black skin because of the reaction of a minority of folks here. I don't. I love my black skin AND my english accent and if either offend anyone - they are the ones with the problem!

Last edited by Blackberry; Nov 17th 2008 at 1:41 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:53 pm
Éireann go Brách

LONDONUCK - Why do you hate your accent? More to the point - why should you be made to feel you should hate your accent? Your accent is part of who you are and you shouldn't hate it because of the reaction of a few bigots. That's like me saying I hate my black skin because of the reaction of a minority of folks here. I don't. I love my black skin AND my english accent and if either offend anyone - they are the ones with the problem!
I dont really hate my accent. Believe me if someone ever said anything to me they'd be walking backwards for a week.

Being a product of immigration you never know where you fit in. When i was in England I was Irish. When i was here every summer I was considered English. There's probably an element of us thinking that people are being funny, when they hear the accent, and infact they quite possibly arent.

A woman in Florida asked me where i was from and i said London. She said, ooh those guys over there said the same thing. When i looked over they were Indian or Pakistani. She said, everyone always says England apart from people from London. I wondered did they feel the same as me.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:08 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hear Hear!!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:23 am

Actually, check the site rules. You can't say what you want here' and yes you have caused offence. I have informed the moderator but whether they do anything remains to be seen.

SITE RULES

There may be places where sexually explicit, racist, obscene or vulgar language, graphics or behavior is appropriate however BritishExpats.com is NOT one of them. We do not alllow graphics that contain nude body parts, sexually-orientated or violent acts. Should anyone use inappropriate language, start a personal attack, or engage in hate speech, they will be barred from all further discussions.

my understanding from what jurdyr was trying to say it anoys him when people take advantage of the system regardless of colour, he is annoyed im assuming him here! that the country is in such a poor state. yes he expressed annoyance for thoses that come to ireland and get every thing and more off the goverment it happens in the uk as well and i have a lot of english friend who feel the same unjuistice of it esp when be it irish or english lose out when they need help .

i dont think he was being racist he did say he was sorry for causing offence

im sorry but you seem to have real issues with this and are coming across very bitter it works both ways you know.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:25 am

I dont really hate my accent. Believe me if someone ever said anything to me they'd be walking backwards for a week.

Being a product of immigration you never know where you fit in. When i was in England I was Irish. When i was here every summer I was considered English. There's probably an element of us thinking that people are being funny, when they hear the accent, and infact they quite possibly arent.

A woman in Florida asked me where i was from and i said London. She said, ooh those guys over there said the same thing. When i looked over they were Indian or Pakistani. She said, everyone always says England apart from people from London. I wondered did they feel the same as me.
very interesting why did you say london

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.