Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Irelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant future
Default Re: HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

This report seems to be saying that Australia could experience the same downturn in housing and construction that Ireland is currently experiencing.
I have just taken the relevant piece out but you can read the whole item in the economist, Australia has also had the same dramatic increase in house prices as Ireland.

http://www.economist.com/finance/dis...ry_id=11412518

Two other markets at risk are Australia and New Zealand. Both have benefited from higher commodity prices and have seen increases in construction-related employment. Their central banks have responded by tightening monetary policy; the last time rates were cut in either country was more than four years ago.

Since 1997 house prices have risen faster in Australia than New Zealand, but Goldman reckons that the latter is more vulnerable. Real house prices are 82% higher than they were in the last quarter of 1999, and have risen by 70% relative to household income, the biggest increase in all the countries Goldman has surveyed.

If house-price weakness does spread more widely, there may be important economic consequences. There is plenty of debate about the size of the “wealth effect” of higher property prices on consumer demand. But it will hardly help that fuel and food prices are soaring at the very moment when the value of bricks and mortar looks about to sag.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

tojo10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where abouts are you on Ireland?

Do you have work now?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

The building trade in Ireland is in recession I should know alot of my mates especially the wet trades have no work,houses arent selling banks arent lending

Stick it out mate cause its getting bad over hear and only set to get worse

Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:51 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

I am no expert on these things, but it is quite obvious looking around the world that the recession is a global problem. While I am not in the trades, I know people who are in the UK (Scotland) and they are having a rough time. Cannot comment on Ireland, though again I suspect it is global. I have spoken to a recruiter today who did tell me that Ireland was certainly slowing down quite a bit.

I made a massive mistake leaving a well-paid job and moving from the UK to Canada in these times. As I have to start from scratch here to do what I do best, for me a move back to the UK or Ireland (where I do not need to requalify to practice) probably makes the most sense from a risk-minimising perspective.

From your perspective, it is hard to know what to advise. I looked at some economic forecasts that say as of 2010 the recession will not be as bad and things will get better - but who knows if that is true? I think upping and leaving in these times, especially to a brand new place, may be a bit risky. It is also highly costly. As long as you can support yourself out there, it might be best to stay put to minimise risk - but I can also see how you might want to get out now in order to get back into a market somewhere before things may get even worse - that is my thinking anyway.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Melbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really nice

Hi

I've jumped over page two - so forgive me if I repeat something someone else has already said.

I'm Dublin based - in the construction industry - in the last year there has been a loss of over 20,000 jobs in this industry - most of these would relate to new builds - but if the plasterers etc that were working on building sites are now looking for work surely it's obvious that they'll turn to the domestic refurbishment market ?

My advice - think long and hard about coming to Ireland - it's a great country in many ways and one that I'll be sad to leave for alot of reasons - house prices have fallen dramatically so maybe that would be a good thing for you.

In the estate I live - there are two houses - nothing wrong with them at all - that have been on the market for over a year now. Again that's probably a good thing for you - but it's an indication of where we are at just now.

Alot of the Polish workers have gone home - one landlord I spoke to lost tennants from six houses in one week with immigrants returning home.

There IS work here - but it's not easily found.

My F in Law worked for a building company in Limerick - this time last year they employed 140 people - now they have 6 on a three day week.

One of my suppliers put his staff on a three day week in January of this year and hasn't been able to get production up to a five day week yet - and we're at the end of August !!!

Schools - great - no problems with them.

People - like everywhere you go - some nice, some not so nice - if I was to put my hand on my heart I don't think that you could call it the "Ireland of the thousand welcomes" that it once was - people have less time for each other and, in my opinion, have become quite demanding.

Would it be an option for you to move to somewhere else in Australia ?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Don’t just “sit and ride it out” if you don’t like it you will just get more and more miserable, and start to really hate Perth (that’s what happened with me, and now I would rather slit my wrists than move back to Perth).

Ireland is good, the boom is slowing but is very stable, I have just come back from living over in Ireland (came back to Oz in October), biggest mistake, but hey we learn from our mistakes.

I'm out of here in a year back to Europe.

It’s very easy to find work in Ireland, yes the cost of living is high but the wages and tax are excellent, also it would be better for your child as Ireland currently ranks 3rd in the world in standards of education, Australia is down at 13 – 16 depending which survey.

My Mum lives in Perth and is dying to get out, she just has to stay for my Brother to finish his apprentice, and then she’s off.

If you are not happy make the move, trust me – it can’t get worse than Perth.

Nice for a holiday, nightmare to live in.

Mikey
Very similar situation to you Mickey with regards to Perth but have done several years here and do travel every year overseas if not to Europe then at least to Asia.
Going to sample Melbourne in Febuary and get a feel to if it is worth locating to that city.
I was last there in 94 when on holiday spent three months in four states in OZ (while living in France.)
I think we all know the issues regarding what is wrong with Perth it has been discussed on numerous threads .That is the way it is.Just not a city for people who wish to remain child free for one thing.
Stayed in Ireland in Connamarra way back in the mid 80s for about four months..ok but a bit provincial once my time was up was quite happy to return to London
Now very interested to read what people say about Ireland in order to develop options in the search for an alternative countries to UK if we decide to quit OZ.
I wonder is Sydney not to your liking??
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I wonder is Sydney not to your liking??
Sydney is great, this is my second time living here. I’ve always thought Sydney is an amazing city and it’s the only place in Oz I’d considering living in (closest thing to an International city they have).

We are moving back to Europe next year (France), not because we hate Sydney, we just prefer Europe. If in the future we had to move back to Australia, again it would be straight back to Sydney.

You should definitely give Sydney a try if you are considering it.

Mikey
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:27 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melbourne
Hi

I've jumped over page two - so forgive me if I repeat something someone else has already said.

I'm Dublin based - in the construction industry - in the last year there has been a loss of over 20,000 jobs in this industry - most of these would relate to new builds - but if the plasterers etc that were working on building sites are now looking for work surely it's obvious that they'll turn to the domestic refurbishment market ?

My advice - think long and hard about coming to Ireland - it's a great country in many ways and one that I'll be sad to leave for alot of reasons - house prices have fallen dramatically so maybe that would be a good thing for you.

In the estate I live - there are two houses - nothing wrong with them at all - that have been on the market for over a year now. Again that's probably a good thing for you - but it's an indication of where we are at just now.

Alot of the Polish workers have gone home - one landlord I spoke to lost tennants from six houses in one week with immigrants returning home.

There IS work here - but it's not easily found.

My F in Law worked for a building company in Limerick - this time last year they employed 140 people - now they have 6 on a three day week.

One of my suppliers put his staff on a three day week in January of this year and hasn't been able to get production up to a five day week yet - and we're at the end of August !!!

Schools - great - no problems with them.

People - like everywhere you go - some nice, some not so nice - if I was to put my hand on my heart I don't think that you could call it the "Ireland of the thousand welcomes" that it once was - people have less time for each other and, in my opinion, have become quite demanding.

Would it be an option for you to move to somewhere else in Australia ?

I agree with a lot of that. I still think people are very welcoming, but then again, i have been in miserable London for the last 4 years. Its very very expensive aswell. Just paid out for a tv licence... why the hell do we have one here? RTE is not public broadcasting. Another 160 euro!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:18 pm
Banned

Blackberry is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, what is the TV licence for? Just another example of Rip Off Ireland! We moved here 8 months ago from London and thought the cost of living would be more reasonable as there is no council tax or water rates - but it's not. VAT is 21% so everything is more expensive. A report from the irish consumer association recently revealed that prices in Tesco and other large UK retailers are on average 28% higher here than in the UK (inc. N. Ireland). People regularly cross the border to buy large household goods because of the significant savings to be had.

You pay separately for bin collections (approx. €350 per annum), school books (even the school homework diary) and the school bus (children under 16 ride the bus for free in London). Essential services such as phone, gas and electricity is significantly higher and because, if you live in the country, you're miles from anywhere, you're always having to fill your car up with petrol because you're very dependent on your car as public transport is virtually non-existent!

There is no national health service. Unless you qualify for a medical card which entitles you to free health care, you will have to pay €40 to visit a doctor and for any drugs prescribed, not only for you but for your children too. You will have to pay for private health insurance which, like most insurance policies, wont pay up if you actually get ill because you can be certain your illness falls under one of the 'exclusions' of the policy

You'll miss the convenience of having piped gas if you move to the country - especially when your gas cylinder runs out in the middle of you cooking a meal or the oil runs out in your oil tank on a Sunday leaving you with no heating or hot water for 24hrs....You'll miss having broadband too as Ireland is one of the worst countries in the world for national broadband coverage. You'll miss being able to get things done because you have to chase and chase to get anything done here. You'll miss a social life because unless your life revolves around the church or the pub there's sod all to do here! Then, of course, there's the weather, which is ghastly most of the time.

I could go on but on a more positive note, we moved to Mayo and the Mayo countryside is stunning when it can be appreciated on the rare bright dry sunny days. Think Lake District. Most irish folk are genuine nice and wont walk passed you without saying 'hello' but think twice if you're black or asian. You'll be stared at by people, young and old, as if you've got 2 heads. You'll be told to 'go back to where you came from' with alarming regularity and your child will be bullied by the ignoramuses at school.

If you think that a good education is focussing entirely on what's in the irish text books and not raising awareness or educating children on other cultures, religions and the wider world, then yes, your child will get a good irish education - but will know little else!

Needless to say, we are already making plans to escape from here as soon as humanly possible because Ireland is definitely not for us. However, if your skin is lily white and money is no object - go for it!

Whatever you decide to do - good luck!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:38 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blackberry
Yes, what is the TV licence for? Just another example of Rip Off Ireland! We moved here 8 months ago from London and thought the cost of living would be more reasonable as there is no council tax or water rates - but it's not. VAT is 21% so everything is more expensive. A report from the irish consumer association recently revealed that prices in Tesco and other large UK retailers are on average 28% higher here than in the UK (inc. N. Ireland). People regularly cross the border to buy large household goods because of the significant savings to be had.

You pay separately for bin collections (approx. €350 per annum), school books (even the school homework diary) and the school bus (children under 16 ride the bus for free in London). Essential services such as phone, gas and electricity is significantly higher and because, if you live in the country, you're miles from anywhere, you're always having to fill your car up with petrol because you're very dependent on your car as public transport is virtually non-existent!

There is no national health service. Unless you qualify for a medical card which entitles you to free health care, you will have to pay €40 to visit a doctor and for any drugs prescribed, not only for you but for your children too. You will have to pay for private health insurance which, like most insurance policies, wont pay up if you actually get ill because you can be certain your illness falls under one of the 'exclusions' of the policy

You'll miss the convenience of having piped gas if you move to the country - especially when your gas cylinder runs out in the middle of you cooking a meal or the oil runs out in your oil tank on a Sunday leaving you with no heating or hot water for 24hrs....You'll miss having broadband too as Ireland is one of the worst countries Not as bad as Ausdtralia its awful over here and very expensisve in the world for national broadband coverage. You'll miss being able to get things done because you have to chase and chase to get anything done here. You'll miss a social life because unless your life revolves around the church or the pub there's sod all to do here! I disagree with that Im Irish and my life does not resolve around the pub or church there is plenty of things to do beautiful places to visit. Then, of course, there's the weather, which is ghastly most of the time.

I could go on but on a more positive note, we moved to Mayo and the Mayo countryside is stunning when it can be appreciated on the rare bright dry sunny days. Think Lake District. Most irish folk are genuine nice and wont walk passed you without saying 'hello' but think twice if you're black or asian. You'll be stared at by people, young and old, as if you've got 2 heads. You'll be told to 'go back to where you came from' with alarming regularity and your child will be bullied by the ignoramuses at school.that is very sad there are some stupid igornant people out there

If you think that a good education is focussing entirely on what's in the irish text books and not raising awareness or educating children on other cultures, religions and the wider world, then yes, your child will get a good irish education - but will know little else! well i disagree with that as I learned alot about other cultures and history of the world when I went to school and I have a sister still in School and she is doing world history we do learn a lot about history of the world and yes we also focus a lot on our own History but so does any other country.

Needless to say, we are already making plans to escape from here as soon as humanly possible because Ireland is definitely not for us. However, if your skin is lily white and money is no object - go for it!

Whatever you decide to do - good luck!
I don't know how you thought moving to Ireland from the UK would be better financially for you as you get so much in the UK and its a well know fact Ireland has gotten very expensive the last few years.

I'm sad to see you so negative but can understand I'm in Australia and feel the same about here it has some good points and bad but its not for me and we are making plans to come home to Ireland warts and all although I lived in Dublin and I think life there is a lot different than living in Mayo or else were in Ireland.

good luck with your move back and hope you can enjoy the rest of your time there
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:43 pm

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I agree with a lot of that. I still think people are very welcoming, but then again, i have been in miserable London for the last 4 years. Its very very expensive aswell. Just paid out for a tv licence... why the hell do we have one here? RTE is not public broadcasting. Another 160 euro!

I know I always hated that and there is no way round it, except not get one and hope for the best not recommending that though!
but does the uk not have a tv licence as well remember seeing adds on the telly
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Don’t you also have a TV licence in the UK? The greater proportion of RTÉ's activities are public service activities but the cost of providing these services is well in excess of the amount of public funding received in the form of Licence Fee revenue. As a result RTÉ is critically reliant on a Dual Public / Commercial funding model and must engage in ancillary commercial activities aimed at generating commercial revenues to bridge the gap in public funding received.

While I agree things in Ireland are very expensive, I also found the wages excellent and we had an excellent amount of money left over after rent and bills came out – which allowed us to be able to afford to cross the border or fly to a different country to buy some things (furniture is cheaper in NI and clothes are cheaper in mainland Europe).

If you live in the country, you're miles from anywhere
Duh! That’s the case in most countries, did you not know this when you moved to the countryside?

There is no national health service.
I like it this way, in Australia we have Medicare (which people assume is free – it’s not) you pay for it in your tax, which is why our taxes are pretty high (in the UK don’t you also pay NHS contributions?). In the 10 years in on and off I have lived in Australia not once have I been to the doctor meaning I’ve been paying all that Medicare in my tax for no reason at all. I’d rather pay when I go, same in Ireland I only ever went once to the doctor. If you get sick a lot get insurance.

You'll miss the convenience of having piped gas if you move to the country - especially when your gas cylinder runs out in the middle of you cooking a meal or the oil runs out in your oil tank on a Sunday leaving you with no heating or hot water for 24hrs
I don’t know why you would run out half way through or on a Sunday night and be left with no hot water – do you not check yours regularly? My grandparents live in the country, they are old and forget things, but they’ve yet to forget this! It’s your fault if it runs out and leaves you stuck, that’s like blaming the farmer if you run out of milk on a Sunday night because you forget to get some from the shops.

You'll miss a social life because unless your life revolves around the church or the pub there's sod all to do here! Then, of course, there's the weather, which is ghastly most of the time.
You live in Mayo – what type of social life were you expecting? It’s the middle of nowhere with towns full with pubs and churches, why move to the middle of nowhere if you wanted a good social life?

As for the weather – you said you’re from the UK right?

Most irish folk are genuine nice and wont walk passed you without saying 'hello' but think twice if you're black or asian. You'll be stared at by people, young and old, as if you've got 2 heads. You'll be told to 'go back to where you came from'
Actually I found the UK used the phrase “go back to where you came from” a lot more, even more annoying was that in the UK they kept complaining about all the illegal polish and eastern Europeans coming (British people still don’t understand the whole EU concept and that Polish people are NOT illegal).

If you think that a good education is focussing entirely on what's in the irish text books and not raising awareness or educating children on other cultures, religions and the wider world, then yes, your child will get a good irish education - but will know little else!
Actually the Irish education is rated amongst the top in the world; the UK is rated pretty poorly. Unlike the UK the majority of Irish students go to University – because it’s fee free! A lot of Brits also hop across the water to take advantage of this because of the high fees and loans needed for UK University.

By the sounds of it you moved from London to Mayo expecting a similar lifestyle only without council and water rates – maybe you should have done better research?

Sorry it didn’t work out for you, but to help you “escape” quicker:

www.ryanair.ie they fly from Knock!

Mikey
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:12 pm
Banned

Blackberry is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said, most irish folk are nice. Others, unfortunately, are extremely unpleasant.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baby75
I know I always hated that and there is no way round it, except not get one and hope for the best not recommending that though!
but does the uk not have a tv licence as well remember seeing adds on the telly
LOL I think we all hated paying the TV licence (remember the TV adds with the old lady hiding with the TV under the stairs), but let me put it this way and you might prefer to pay it.

You can pay the TV licence and you get Irish TV, decent channels, decent programs and not too many adds or add breaks and infomercials are kept for the UK stations and night time (after midnight tv).

You can not pay a TV licence (like Australia) and get TV like Australia – 4 crap channels with nothing but adds and infomercials, and then programs about infomercials, followed by more adds and infomercials. 7 add breaks in a 30 min program, or when the program ends it goes to adds, then comes back for the credits then back to adds again.

After living in Australia and seeing the TV, I’d rather pay the TV licence.

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Nov 15th 2008 at 12:44 am.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
LOL I think we all hated paying the TV licence (remember the TV adds with the old lady hiding with the TV under the stairs), but let me put it this way and you might prefer to pay it.

You can pay the TV licence and you get Irish TV, decent channels, decent programs and not too many adds or add breaks and infomercials are kept for the UK stations and night time (after midnight tv).

You can not pay a TV licence (like Australia) and get TV like Australia – 4 crap channels with nothing but adds and infomercials, and then programs about infomercials, followed by more adds and infomercials. 7 add breaks in a 30 min program, or when the program ends it goes to adds, then comes back for the credits then back to adds again.so true its the worst tv ever and when you end up paying for Austar or foxtel its more expensive and still crap with lots of adds

After living in Australia and seeing the TV, I’d rather pay the TV licence.

Mikey
yep i do, do you miss podge and rodge 11 oclock is just not the same

what part of ireland are you from

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.