Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:08 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

Originally Posted by monkeymark
thanks it's always reasuring to realize that there might a bit of work. Its the same here all these new builds are going to need maintainance.
Mate ive been over 4 times this year and 12 times in the last 4 years. I wanted more than anything to go to Cork or Galway, when we move over in 4 weeks, but they are just towns, when looking for work, compared with Dublin. But you being a tradsman probably wont have much trouble.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Don’t take this the wrong way, but you said you where recently in Ireland on holiday, there is a big difference being on holiday “hearing what your friends think” compared to the rest us who have recently lived there.

Also, personally I would consider Galway City the “countryside”, while it is a city, it’s a student city, all it that’s there is college’s, a university and the odd international IT company, it’s full of students
You watch come September, you won’t be able find a place to live in Galway as everywhere will be taken by the new students, May – September Galway is like a ghost village.

Plus, Galway is 1 very small city, there is still so much work in other places, Dublin, Cork, Goreya, Sligo, Limerick, Mullingar, Longford, Carrick-on-shannon cant get enough trades people at the moment!

Mikey
Galway like a ghost city May- Sept, I dont think so, its packed all through the summer! I am from am from Galway and know this for a fact, the car parks are full, the shops are packed and you have to wait for a table to get a coffee

The week before the galway races and the week after is crazy, its nearly impossible to get a room and the bars are heaving
Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Mate ive been over 4 times this year and 12 times in the last 4 years. I wanted more than anything to go to Cork or Galway, when we move over in 4 weeks, but they are just towns, when looking for work, compared with Dublin. But you being a tradsman probably wont have much trouble.
Em excuse me Galway is a city!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Reading fan
Everyone has an opinion of course. My opinion having lived in Galway for 3 years and my parents for many more is that is it not just a student city and it is great place to live 12 months of the year if you can put up with the rain. We drove the southern coastline through many towns that have many unsold properties that is all i am saying. Indeed the employment problems maybe only be relevant to "the countryside city of Galway". am not hearing what friends think I am talking about real people living in the "countryside" and working there now. I am not so stupid as to take what i see on holiday as the gospel but I feel people trying to sell their house or working as an conomist in the "countryside" are relevant opinions.
You are right, I know many people who have had their properties on the market for nearly a year and nothing, and these are areas and properties that not so long ago would have been sold in weeks rather than months
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:45 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Em excuse me Galway is a city!
I know, i mean... err, u know what i mean. Be alright if i was a farmer!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

Hi

I left Ireland 11 months ago having lived there for 7 years.

I loved living in Ireland, I lived in Kildare. I am in constant contact via skype with my relies and friends, and things are sadly slowing down. I sold my house in April 2007, and my neighbour put theirs on the market in July just before I moved out. She has now taken it off the market, as the agents have reduced the price twice and still no interest. I sold mine in 3 weeks last year!!!

My family are all in trades, and things have slowed, my cousin as a tiler was turning away work, now he is just about keeping jobs flowing. One friend who owns her own business has also had to get a job to help supplement her income (Wexford Area)

Think long and hard and do research. Ireland is a great place to live, the kids did really well in school, but like every where else it is slowing down.

Bj
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

dryroasted is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by monkeymark
Hi all, Well here it is what advice will I get back?
At the mo we live in Perth Oz and have been here 2yrs and 6months. We moved from london, kent boarders. We are now thinking of moving to Ireland because Oz is'ent the place for us esp Perth.
Its hard to meet people here and the interest rates are very high as are house prices although they are falling. Im a plasterer and work was abundant although now because of high interest rates its not now, so I'm worried. Our house is on the market along with countless others and we're hoping it'll sell. My wife went to see a clairvouyant who basically told her to move to scotland but checking out there web sites looks like work is a bit low there as well. So I've been asking myself where do I go and what do I do. I am a multitrader i;e Plastering, Tiling, Carpentry, bit of plumbing and I'm no cowboy. So my questions are Where is the best place for my family and myself. I have a 1 yr old boy.
thanks for reading.
mate........stick it out there for a while yet.........ireland is in a construction industry meltdown......even our polish friends are leaving ireland at the mo to go back home. property market is a globla problem......banks arent lending and theyve lost and will continue to lose as repo's and foreclosures continue to go up, think positive...........it works!!!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Irelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant future

Hi there, I live (and have for the last three and a half years) in Galway. It is a great place to live and regarding the "downturn " in the economy, well it seems to be worldwide thing and not just a "galway" thing.
There is a definite drop in the housing market and the construction industry but prices are dropping (which was a good thing as prices were crazy!) and once buyers perceive that they are getting value now, the market will pick up.
Regarding the comment that Galway is dead from June to Sept, that is wrong, Galway hops over the summer with the Arts festival, the Galway races and the Oyster festival to name a few things. Galway is a major tourist venue over the summer and it is far more than just a university town.

Jen
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:52 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Irelandexile
Hi there, I live (and have for the last three and a half years) in Galway. It is a great place to live and regarding the "downturn " in the economy, well it seems to be worldwide thing and not just a "galway" thing.
There is a definite drop in the housing market and the construction industry but prices are dropping (which was a good thing as prices were crazy!) and once buyers perceive that they are getting value now, the market will pick up.
Regarding the comment that Galway is dead from June to Sept, that is wrong, Galway hops over the summer with the Arts festival, the Galway races and the Oyster festival to name a few things. Galway is a major tourist venue over the summer and it is far more than just a university town.

Jen
Galway is a bussy all year around with people yes the town is a big university town
see it mid off nov myself last year nite clubs full pubs and so on fri/sat night is cross st quay st and hight st
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:32 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

look at the Irish online newspapers - the place is officially in a recession. Bank shares down to 20 year low/construction industry on its knees (I read that they are expecting black friday soon - when the offical builders holidays starts the reckon 10,000 will be told not to come back after holidays). Here is the link scarey stuff (and you are a tradie?)
http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-1425255.html.
Thinking of moving there? Look long and hard. Even the eastern europeans are starting to leave for london
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:59 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Hello

I come from Dublin we are in Australia at the moment on the sunshine coast

But Ireland has been hit with a slow down but in the building trade but its in the residential for builders My dad works for him self does plumbing and carpentry so does kitchens extensions and has plenty of work so it all depends what area you want to get in to if you do decide to come over Ild rent first find your feet dont put all your eggs in one basket so to speak. My Dh is a welder and they have really slowed down. he couldnt get good work but that will change again and it will pick up its every were you go now for building trade I think cant last for ever

I dont think Ill last here my self its a lovely spot people are friendly its just not clicking with me at the minute but we shall see
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:23 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by Irelandexile

Jen

maaaaaan am i looking forward to the oyster festival. Love 'em!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:25 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by seang
look at the Irish online newspapers - the place is officially in a recession. Bank shares down to 20 year low/construction industry on its knees (I read that they are expecting black friday soon - when the offical builders holidays starts the reckon 10,000 will be told not to come back after holidays). Here is the link scarey stuff (and you are a tradie?)
http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-1425255.html.
Thinking of moving there? Look long and hard. Even the eastern europeans are starting to leave for london
But these problems arent unique to Ireland. Every where is slowing down.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Katamoungdapidgeons is an unknown quantity at this point

I apologise as I know this may not be the news you want to hear & obviously there will always be individuals who triumph in spite of situations & I sincerely hope you will be one of these.So just to make you aware, forearmed, forewarned the Irish Post/ Indo/Times have been running articles about the death of the construction industry, there is a forecast of mass emigration of Irish construction workers to (you guessed it) Australia. Where the visa requirements have been changed to encourage them due to the need for them there. I believe the jobs are in regional Australia. (There are also opportunities/relaxed visas for Irish & English in the Australian mining industry.) Best of Luck what ever you decide.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

qwerta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Ireland, came here 3 years ago.

When we first came, there were jobs everywhere in everything. You couldn't move for Poles and other EU migrants (and non-EU migrants for that matter).

Now though, the place has totally changed. Jobs are scarce. Migrants are going elsewhere. My brother-in-law came over two month ago in search of work. He tried everywhere. Towards the end he was even applying at Tesco, Homebase, KFC, McDonalds etc. etc.. No vacancies anywhere. He went home last week.

On the radio, all you hear is how Ireland is facing a recession, and the economy is sliding (I can't remember the exact details, but something along the lines of unemployment being worse than the 80s, relatively speaking).

Driving to work I see housing estates half built, seemingly abandoned. They can't sell houses anymore.

I'm from England, and I'd love to go back. Only problem is, from what friends and family tell me, the state of the UK doesn't seem to dissimilar to Ireland.

Bottom line, stay in Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.