British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/help-thinking-moving-perth-oz-ireland-545653/)

monkeymark Jun 28th 2008 2:07 am

HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

Hi all, Well here it is what advice will I get back?
At the mo we live in Perth Oz and have been here 2yrs and 6months. We moved from london, kent boarders. We are now thinking of moving to Ireland because Oz is'ent the place for us esp Perth.
Its hard to meet people here and the interest rates are very high as are house prices although they are falling. Im a plasterer and work was abundant although now because of high interest rates its not now, so I'm worried. Our house is on the market along with countless others and we're hoping it'll sell. My wife went to see a clairvouyant who basically told her to move to scotland but checking out there web sites looks like work is a bit low there as well. So I've been asking myself where do I go and what do I do. I am a multitrader i;e Plastering, Tiling, Carpentry, bit of plumbing and I'm no cowboy. So my questions are Where is the best place for my family and myself. I have a 1 yr old boy.
thanks for reading.

jdr Jun 28th 2008 6:21 am

Re: HELP, thinking of moving from Perth (oz) to Ireland?

Originally Posted by monkeymark (Post 6512045)
Hi all, Well here it is what advice will I get back?
At the mo we live in Perth Oz and have been here 2yrs and 6months. We moved from london, kent boarders. We are now thinking of moving to Ireland because Oz is'ent the place for us esp Perth.
Its hard to meet people here and the interest rates are very high as are house prices although they are falling. Im a plasterer and work was abundant although now because of high interest rates its not now, so I'm worried. Our house is on the market along with countless others and we're hoping it'll sell. My wife went to see a clairvouyant who basically told her to move to scotland but checking out there web sites looks like work is a bit low there as well. So I've been asking myself where do I go and what do I do. I am a multitrader i;e Plastering, Tiling, Carpentry, bit of plumbing and I'm no cowboy. So my questions are Where is the best place for my family and myself. I have a 1 yr old boy.
thanks for reading.

Stay where you are and ride out the storm, it may be rough for a while , but things will sort themselves out, probably easier in Perth than trying to sell up and move to a new country.
The same thing is happening all over the world, so you may be jumping out the pan into the fire.
Also you`re at the time, 2/3 years in a new country where you start to get the "I wanna go home" feeling, which is probably making things seem worse than they are.
Don´t listen to a clairvoyant she didn`t do too well the first time. ;-))

Londonuck Jun 29th 2008 10:20 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 6512282)
Stay where you are and ride out the storm, it may be rough for a while , but things will sort themselves out, probably easier in Perth than trying to sell up and move to a new country.
The same thing is happening all over the world, so you may be jumping out the pan into the fire.
Also you`re at the time, 2/3 years in a new country where you start to get the "I wanna go home" feeling, which is probably making things seem worse than they are.
Don´t listen to a clairvoyant she didn`t do too well the first time. ;-))

Yea i agree. I think do at least 5 years and get your citizenship. Always feels better knowing you can return.

What is it about Perth? Everyone seems to want to leave. Spent a couple of weeks there in 92. Spose your a bit cut off.

manc1 Jun 30th 2008 3:22 am

I have family in Ireland and they told me recently that the building trade is slowing down there at the moment.

Mikeyc Jun 30th 2008 6:47 am

Don’t just “sit and ride it out” if you don’t like it you will just get more and more miserable, and start to really hate Perth (that’s what happened with me, and now I would rather slit my wrists than move back to Perth).

Ireland is good, the boom is slowing but is very stable, I have just come back from living over in Ireland (came back to Oz in October), biggest mistake, but hey we learn from our mistakes.

I'm out of here in a year back to Europe.

It’s very easy to find work in Ireland, yes the cost of living is high but the wages and tax are excellent, also it would be better for your child as Ireland currently ranks 3rd in the world in standards of education, Australia is down at 13 – 16 depending which survey.

My Mum lives in Perth and is dying to get out, she just has to stay for my Brother to finish his apprentice, and then she’s off.

If you are not happy make the move, trust me – it can’t get worse than Perth.

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 6515450)
What is it about Perth? Everyone seems to want to leave. Spent a couple of weeks there in 92. Spose your a bit cut off.

Nice for a holiday, nightmare to live in.

Mikey

Reading fan Jun 30th 2008 7:04 am

We have just come back from Ireland staying with friends and family. we could not believe the amount of unsold property - whole housing estates that have been built everywhere. Friends trying to sell cottage not a viewing in a year and believes he won't even be able to rent it out. Workers/trades are leaving because the work has dried up. An economist friend was telling me house selling is like the bad 80's in the UK. Good luck with whatever you decide.

monkeymark Jun 30th 2008 8:07 am

Mmmm interesting facts thanks for the info. Who knows what we'll do but I dought we'll stay here in sunny Perth though. Ireland sounds lovely although the work situ is a big worry but it is happening all over the world. I think we'll try and sell our house and rent for a bit take our citizen test and see what happens. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Londonuck Jun 30th 2008 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Reading fan (Post 6517841)
We have just come back from Ireland staying with friends and family. we could not believe the amount of unsold property - whole housing estates that have been built everywhere. Friends trying to sell cottage not a viewing in a year and believes he won't even be able to rent it out. Workers/trades are leaving because the work has dried up. An economist friend was telling me house selling is like the bad 80's in the UK. Good luck with whatever you decide.

England in the 80's, do me a favour mate. Take a stroll down Grafton St. on a Saturday and you'll be able to see that Ireland isnt in half the economic nightmare thats being made out. Where's your mates cottage, in the countryside?

Monkey... you'll always get work especially if you're a tradesman. They may not be building houses but theres got to work on existing houses.

Reading fan Jun 30th 2008 1:38 pm

Excuse me I am just letting someone know the economic situation when we were there 5 weeks ago in Galway a so called thriving city. I witnessed housing estates locked up and unsold. I stayed with people who employ upwards of 50 trades people and they are laying people off. I don't class 15 mins outside of Galway in the countryside I am talking about a very evident slowdown. I'm not talking about things I have read in the papers or heresay just from people who live there. The OP asked for opinions and I am just giving mine having been there recently.
Once again OP having lived in Galway for many years we loved it but believe some things are changing good luck.

Mikeyc Jun 30th 2008 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Reading fan (Post 6518718)
Excuse me I am just letting someone know the economic situation when we were there 5 weeks ago in Galway a so called thriving city. I witnessed housing estates locked up and unsold. I stayed with people who employ upwards of 50 trades people and they are laying people off. I don't class 15 mins outside of Galway in the countryside I am talking about a very evident slowdown. I'm not talking about things I have read in the papers or heresay just from people who live there. The OP asked for opinions and I am just giving mine having been there recently.
Once again OP having lived in Galway for many years we loved it but believe some things are changing good luck.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you said you where recently in Ireland on holiday, there is a big difference being on holiday “hearing what your friends think” compared to the rest us who have recently lived there.

Also, personally I would consider Galway City the “countryside”, while it is a city, it’s a student city, all it that’s there is college’s, a university and the odd international IT company, it’s full of students.

You watch come September, you won’t be able find a place to live in Galway as everywhere will be taken by the new students, May – September Galway is like a ghost village.

Plus, Galway is 1 very small city, there is still so much work in other places, Dublin, Cork, Gorey, Sligo, Limerick, Mullingar, Longford, Carrick-on-shannon cant get enough trades people at the moment!

Mikey

Reading fan Jun 30th 2008 2:46 pm

Everyone has an opinion of course. My opinion having lived in Galway for 3 years and my parents for many more is that is it not just a student city and it is great place to live 12 months of the year if you can put up with the rain. We drove the southern coastline through many towns that have many unsold properties that is all i am saying. Indeed the employment problems maybe only be relevant to "the countryside city of Galway". am not hearing what friends think I am talking about real people living in the "countryside" and working there now. I am not so stupid as to take what i see on holiday as the gospel but I feel people trying to sell their house or working as an economist in the "countryside" are relevant opinions.

Reading fan Jul 1st 2008 8:46 am

An article on BBC: Just a short piece of much longer article

Celtic Tiger's Economy Shrinks

The Economic and Social research Institute said unemployment would rise to 7% next year from 5% in 2007 forcing more people to leave the country in search of work.They also said "It seems very likely that the economy is heading into a property-led recession".

Londonuck Jul 2nd 2008 11:50 am

Alright, keep your Alans on. Saying it was like UK in the 80's is quite the exaggeration.

People are bound to question your opinions... after all you are a Reading fan

:)

monkeymark Jul 3rd 2008 11:21 am

Thanks I'll take everything in to consideration and weigh up the odds, especially as you have just been there.

monkeymark Jul 3rd 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 6517980)
England in the 80's, do me a favour mate. Take a stroll down Grafton St. on a Saturday and you'll be able to see that Ireland isnt in half the economic nightmare thats being made out. Where's your mates cottage, in the countryside?

Monkey... you'll always get work especially if you're a tradesman. They may not be building houses but theres got to work on existing houses.

thanks it's always reasuring to realize that there might a bit of work. Its the same here all these new builds are going to need maintainance.