Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Help with cost of taxes & utilities in ROI

Help with cost of taxes & utilities in ROI

Old Jan 5th 2020, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

AndyRachel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with cost of taxes & utilities in ROI

Hi, My wife and I are looking at moving to the Republic of Ireland with our 3 children (6,5 and one on way) latest of Summer of 2021. I'm a driving instructor and looking at starting up around the Wexford area. We have found a lot of information but the hardest bit of information we are trying to find out is how much it would roughly cost for utilities and council tax.

In the UK we are currently paying per month
Council tax €188.57
Water €51.54
Gas & Electric €124.99
Home Insurance €24.06
Broadband €35.14
Do these prices reflect those in the Republic or are they higher/lower? Is there any other charges that we should expect to pay?

We have done food shop comparisons and we find that the price is only different by a few pounds.

I have spoke to some instructors and the cost of car insurance is about the same as the UK. I'm also under the impression that once you earn over €26k you then go into a higher tax bracket is this right?

Any help greatly received

Andy & Rachel
Old Jan 6th 2020, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with cost of taxes & utilities in ROI

Originally Posted by AndyRachel
Hi, My wife and I are looking at moving to the Republic of Ireland with our 3 children (6,5 and one on way) latest of Summer of 2021. I'm a driving instructor and looking at starting up around the Wexford area. We have found a lot of information but the hardest bit of information we are trying to find out is how much it would roughly cost for utilities and council tax.

In the UK we are currently paying per month
Council tax €188.57
Water €51.54
Gas & Electric €124.99
Home Insurance €24.06
Broadband €35.14

We have done food shop comparisons and we find that the price is only different by a few pounds.

I have spoke to some instructors and the cost of car insurance is about the same as the UK. I'm also under the impression that once you earn over €26k you then go into a higher tax bracket is this right?

Any help greatly received

Andy & Rachel
It really depends and every household will be different, although the local property tax rates are the same depending on the valuation: https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/l...y-tax-lpt.aspxWhen it comes to car insurance Ireland is one of the most expensive places and many people get ripped off. You really have to negotiate, as there is little competition. We pay around €780 yearly for the 2 cars.

We don't have kids and are based in Co. Galway. Here what we roughly paid last month:
Council tax (4 Bed) €18.75
Water €0.00
Electric €71.00 + €30 for heating wood
Home Insurance €24.01
Broadband (Three unlimited) €30.00
Road Tax (2 cars) €38.33

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...alculated.html
In 2020, the standard rate cut-off point for a married couple or civil partners is €44,300. If both are working, this amount is increased by the lower of the following:
  • €26,300 or The amount of the income of the spouse or civil partner with the smaller income
The standard rate cut off point for the couple is €44,300 plus €26,300. The increase in the standard rate band is not transferable between spouses or civil partners, so the first spouse or civil partner's tax bands would be calculated as €44,300 @ 20% = €8,860 and €3,700 @ 40% = €1,480. The second spouse or civil partner's tax bands would be calculated as €26,300 @ 20% = €5,260 and €700 @ 40% = €280.