Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

God!! So many private schools!!

God!! So many private schools!!

Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Peak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default God!! So many private schools!!

As we are looking at a move to Bray/Wicklow area I can't help noticing the amount of private schools!!! Our children are very fortunate here in Liverpool as they go to extremely good schools and as i've scoured the internet and all school websites the standard of the cirriculum and the facilites are way below par unless you go to private school We really need any suggestions on the best secondary school with the best reputation in the Bray area or surrounding areas so we can have a good look when my husband visits soon. Our curriculum is far better and more extensive but that might be because labour invested so much money into education and schools but unfortunately things are definately set to change with tories in power now
Look forward to some constructive comments
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:19 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: God!! So many private schools!!

Originally Posted by Peak
As we are looking at a move to Bray/Wicklow area I can't help noticing the amount of private schools!!! Our children are very fortunate here in Liverpool as they go to extremely good schools and as i've scoured the internet and all school websites the standard of the cirriculum and the facilites are way below par unless you go to private school We really need any suggestions on the best secondary school with the best reputation in the Bray area or surrounding areas so we can have a good look when my husband visits soon. Our curriculum is far better and more extensive but that might be because labour invested so much money into education and schools but unfortunately things are definately set to change with tories in power now
Bray is kind of run down these days and in need of regeneration. I drove a cab and would give Bray a wide birth later on in the night. Its like a small Blackpool.

Im in Greystones, about 8kms south and its much much nicer. There are several schools in the area. Have you looked at areas along the Dart and also the excellent Luas? Both are good links into Dublin, especially the Luas. Wicklow is a lovely county but the transport system in Ireland can be pretty poor and frustrating. Getting on those rail links is essential if you will be getting work in Dublin where any jobs that are available will be. Also for the kids cos it will open up many more schools in Blackrock, Killiney, Dalkey etc...

I think I saw our local bus the other day. Shergar was driving it.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

reading londonucks post,and with him mentioning schools in blackrock,reminded me of when I was a child. I went to St.John the Baptist Boys National school in blackrock in the very early 50's. and what an experience it was.
Our headmaster was Mr.McDonald,he had a wooden leg and a drink problem. I don't think they were connected. Wiggy Bennett(so-called because he had a very badly fitted wig)was our under master. We used to bet on the sweat running from under his wig to his chin,which drop would touch his chin first..our music teacher was a Mr. Mongey. He must have been good because I can still remember some of the words to the songs he taught us. Mind you,he did thrash the nearest pupil with his swishy cane if he got any notes wrong.
Saving the best for last,,,,Mr.Concannon. The name still sends chills down my spine. Does anyone out there remember the Christian Brothers? I mean the OLD Christian Brothers? Sadistic,torturous,diabolical,and these were their good points. Well Mr. Concannon was thrown out of the C.B. for being TOO sadistic....He was tall and slim and dark,and if anyone wanted to know what the devil was to look like,all they had to do was look at Mr.Concannon.
The school was square and one-storied. When we finished our dinner break(spent anywhere around the grounds), one of the teachers would come out onto the steps and ring a big hand bell. We used to hide the bell a lot so the sight of the teacher chasing a hundred or so pupils around the school still makes me laugh to remember it. All that would stop when Mr. McDonald would limp through the gates,face like thunder(his usual face),and we would kill each other in the race to get through the door.
Some of the good points..the sight of Mr.McDonald striving to hold his door closed against the battering of an enraged parent(hoping to get in to batter HIM!!). Maccer used to discipline us with his wooden leg,he took it off and hit us with it,while balancing against a table. Truth.
But they were glorious days. The friends I made in that school are still my friends today. And I think they educated us to the best of their ability. And don't be afraid,I think the schooling system out there has changed(and not for the better but that is only my opinion).
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:55 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
in blackrock,reminded me of when I was a child
Haha wish i'd got down to Ladbrokes and stuck a cockle on that!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Haha wish i'd got down to Ladbrokes and stuck a cockle on that!
It's a sin to bet. C.B's taught me that!!!!!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_town is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are unhappy with the schools, I am wondering why you are moving? The curriculum is a state curriculum and will not differ between state and public schools. You alsio don't stand a chance of getting your child into the 'best' secondary schools as they have wait lists from birth,
I would stay put if I was feeling that negative about my children's education.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:43 pm
Éireann go Brách

It's a sin to bet. C.B's taught me that!!!!!
Cant wait to read the Memoirs of a Blackrock Salty Old Seadog.

Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Cant wait to read the Memoirs of a Blackrock Salty Old Seadog.

http://www.eclectech.co.uk/b3ta/pirateprairiedog.jpg
aaarrrr jim lad, one of these days I will tell e the tale of me da,me granda and the monkey.......all true.....aaarrrrr
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:12 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

You'll not last long in Ireland if you walk about with that superior attitude!

I have to laugh at the irony of your post - from Liverpool to Bray is a move up!
Why are you moving there if you think it's so below your high standards?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

methinks original post was a blurb for nu-lab?????
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:30 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by roamer25
You'll not last long in Ireland if you walk about with that superior attitude!

I have to laugh at the irony of your post - from Liverpool to Bray is a move up!
Why are you moving there if you think it's so below your high standards?
I was going to write about Bray but dont want to come across as too negative. Little Blackpool, without the sophistication. (joke at the end btw)

Its hard getting the right answers you're looking for about Ireland at the moment. We're all a little fed up with the place.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bray has always had a bit of a rep mate. I remember going to the International dance hall there in the early 60's. there was always trouble either in the hall or outside on the streets. my mate,pascal burke,had a snooker hall in bray(he is dead now r.i.p.). perhaps you know it? and of course my best mate still lives in bray, somewhere on mountain view drive....
we had to walk home to dun laoghaire from the international on many an occassion because of not being allowed on to the last bus....happy days.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:15 am
Éireann go Brách

bray has always had a bit of a rep mate. I remember going to the International dance hall there in the early 60's. there was always trouble either in the hall or outside on the streets. my mate,pascal burke,had a snooker hall in bray(he is dead now r.i.p.). perhaps you know it? and of course my best mate still lives in bray, somewhere on mountain view drive....
we had to walk home to dun laoghaire from the international on many an occassion because of not being allowed on to the last bus....happy days.

My Dad used to take us to a snooker hall back in the 70's when we'd finally spent all our pocket money in the arcades below the head. Wonder was it that hall.

I always dropped off and got out of Bray, back to Greystones when cabbing. It is jumping down the front most weekends. There is a superb pub, the Harbour Bar in Bray.

Compared with half the holes in London it doesnt even come near for aggro, its just a bit more likely than a lot areas here.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

toot true there about london,mate. a jungle if there ever was one...and I do believe the snooker hall you mentioned was the one that Pascal owned. My brother was a good snooker pro during the hey-day of snooker,the early 80's. He played with alex and dennis for the combined ireland team who won the guinness world championship three times(then the wpbsa changed the rules to stop it happening again).
The Harbour bar in Bray may be the one my brother took me to once when he lived in bray....did it open out onto the slip-way and was there loads of things hanging from the ceiling(starship enterprise etc???). a real eccentrics bar. my brother fitted in well.
when we say that bray has a bit of a rep, it is a bit of an IRISH rep,not on the same league as london or any of the big cities in the uk. I am looking forward to visiting the place again I can tell you. ciow...(showing off there).
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

austinallegro will become famous soon enough

I lived in Greystones and went to school at St. Gerards in Bray in the mid 1970s. You can look at St. Gerards which was excellent. St. Gerards back then was a feeder for Blackrock and was really good at gee'ing up badly motivated kids like myself. It had just turned co-ed when I got there.

Vis-a-vis quality of education in England v Ireland. 1) (Nu)Labour can f**k off 2) that depends on the parents, kids and individual schools.

BTW, Greystones was a fabulous place to live during the 1970's as well. I really enjoyed it. Drive down there and have a look.

John.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.