Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

FBR or apply directly for a passport?

FBR or apply directly for a passport?

Old May 17th 2021, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default FBR or apply directly for a passport?

I am confused! My grandfather was born in Dublin in the early 1900's and I wish to apply for and Irish passport based on descent. I want to acquire Irish citizenship due to potential EU residency in the future (wife is French/US, I am UK/US and children are UK/US/French). Do I need to apply first for Foreign Birth Registration and then for a passport or can I apply directly for a passport? I believe the answer is FBR first, but just wanted to check, as FBR is currently suspended due to CV-19, with no signs of it being re-started any time soon, and a likely massive backlog when it does....

I also have a second question. I have original birth, marriage and death certs for my father. Birth and marriage certs for me and birth and marriage certs for my grandfather. However I can't obtain an official death cert for my grandfather as the UK register of births, deaths and marriages is not online searchable/orderable from ~1956 to ~1986 and my grandfather passed away in June of 1976. Can I still obtain a death certificate for him from a physical application as opposed to online? It's obviously a bit of a moot point as he'd be 118 years old, were still alive!! Could I apply for FBR stating that I don't have an official death certificate for him, or will I be rejected because of the lack of that certificate? Is it mandatory to provide ALL required documentation, or are some gaps that are not material to the outcome permissible?
Old May 18th 2021, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FBR or apply directly for a passport?

Dear Confused,

Your question/s are really complex in nature I suggest you start here

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/

Old May 19th 2021, 1:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If neither of your parents were born on the island of Ireland then you’ll need to go through the FBR process before you can obtain an Irish passport. Be aware that the wait to complete both applications is running at least two years thanks to a perfect storm of Brexit and COVID-19.

You will need your grandfather’s death certificate. If he died in England or Wales in 1976 then you can find the GRO index reference here: https://www.freebmd.org.uk/
Old May 19th 2021, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your replies. I was afraid that the FBR was backed up.... But didn't realize by this much. Ouch! I found the GRO reference, so I should be able to obtain the death certificate for my grandfather.
Old May 19th 2021, 6:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. If your wife is a French citizen then you can move to any EU/EEA country other than France under freedom of movement whilst you wait for your Irish passport.