Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Dub Fam waiting go-ahead from OZ

Dub Fam waiting go-ahead from OZ

Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

YAFOLEY will become famous soon enoughYAFOLEY will become famous soon enough
Default Dub Fam waiting go-ahead from OZ

I just clicked into this forum (ie irish one!) by mistake..... and I'm shocked/happy and sad all at the same time...born and bred dub anxiously awaiting our visa to OZ! why because this lovely little irish island has been overtaken by (i won't go into it!).
All I can say to all you guys looking to live in Ireland - Ireland is not what it was when i was a kid (i'm only 33!), and don't get me wrong every country changes but our little IRELAND has gone greedy! I love the craic, the ballads, the shopping etc etc etc
Sorry but (Annie) I deal with Americans and Europeans all the time (hey my sister in law and niece/nephew are in Chicago! I also work with students coming here! ) wake up - live your dream if that's what you wanna do but dont look at Ireland as it was 5/10 yrs ago.
We are taking a big risk selling up in Dub (just sold house made approx 200,000 euro in 8 years, have 3 children all under 5 - would love to stay in Dublin and rare my kids along side their cousins and nannies and grandads but not too be.... we wan't more for the kids as a lot of other irish out there do but cant get up and do it because money is so tight in ireland at moment - people are being crippled out of jobs... my hubby is in construction and evey week we have this panic that he will be let go even though he has his qualifications!
Sorry I may sound negative but think about it strongly - we are taking a big risk and i'd love to have some ozzie telling me we are doing the wrong thing but unfortunately my hubby works with loads of ozzie lads and they think we couldn't be doing anything better - even if just for the weather.!
think about it - this site is for discussion if u don't agree well go for it... eveyone to there own opinions.... god can't wait 4 september !!! bye bye bertie !!!!!!
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dub Fam waiting go-ahead from OZ

Originally Posted by YAFOLEY
I just clicked into this forum (ie irish one!) by mistake..... and I'm shocked/happy and sad all at the same time...born and bred dub anxiously awaiting our visa to OZ! why because this lovely little irish island has been overtaken by (i won't go into it!).
All I can say to all you guys looking to live in Ireland - Ireland is not what it was when i was a kid (i'm only 33!), and don't get me wrong every country changes but our little IRELAND has gone greedy! I love the craic, the ballads, the shopping etc etc etc
Sorry but (Annie) I deal with Americans and Europeans all the time (hey my sister in law and niece/nephew are in Chicago! I also work with students coming here! ) wake up - live your dream if that's what you wanna do but dont look at Ireland as it was 5/10 yrs ago.
We are taking a big risk selling up in Dub (just sold house made approx 200,000 euro in 8 years, have 3 children all under 5 - would love to stay in Dublin and rare my kids along side their cousins and nannies and grandads but not too be.... we wan't more for the kids as a lot of other irish out there do but cant get up and do it because money is so tight in ireland at moment - people are being crippled out of jobs... my hubby is in construction and evey week we have this panic that he will be let go even though he has his qualifications!
Sorry I may sound negative but think about it strongly - we are taking a big risk and i'd love to have some ozzie telling me we are doing the wrong thing but unfortunately my hubby works with loads of ozzie lads and they think we couldn't be doing anything better - even if just for the weather.!
think about it - this site is for discussion if u don't agree well go for it... eveyone to there own opinions.... god can't wait 4 september !!! bye bye bertie !!!!!!
I am sure most people wanting to come and live in Ireland have done as much reseach and homework into their plans as you have going to Oz. They are probably taking a big risk too!! While I agree with you about Ireland becoming greedy and not being the place it once was, not all changes have been for the worse. The new multicultural Ireland is IMO an exciting place, the strangehold of the church has lessened, there is much much more employment and opportunities than before etc etc.

We are emmigrating to Canada later in the year but I know there are things I will miss about Ireland, despite our optimism and excitement about the move. It does still have a lot going for it and sometimes it takes a spell away to appreciate what those things are. We all want different things from life - I don't believe there is any one country that has everything!

Just remember too when you say that Ireland is becoming overrun, in Oz you will be the immigrant (wink!)

All the best
Snowqueen

Last edited by snowqueen; Mar 29th 2006 at 11:23 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 29th 2006, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dub Fam waiting go-ahead from OZ

Just remember too when you say that Ireland is becoming overrun, in Oz you will be the immigrant (wink!)
Have to agree. I left Dublin 14 years ago and every time I go back (about 3 times a year) it changes. While I agree not all the changes are for the best there is a lot of positives. Employment is much improved since I was there and everyone I knew worked in a sewing factory, me included!! I do notice though that everyone at home complains that Ireland is being overrun with immigrants. In the 14 years since I left I have lived in a few different country's and always found a lot of Irish everywhere I've lived. All country's have a strong Irish community if you look for it, as most of us do when we are abroad, but I find it strange that we Irish dont seem to like it when immigrants come to our country to live/work, something we have been doing in other country's for hundred of years.
Tracie