Driving.

Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Paul M B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving.

I have just moved to Ireland and found out after researching that my UK driving licence is technically still valid even though I can't renew my photo I.D. Now my question is when I come to insure a car because I'm now no longer going to use my US driving licence can I also not declare the insurance policies I had while I was driving over there? I will have zero no claims bonus but it it would also mean I'm not declaring an accident I had which puts my current quote at over €5000! Maybe as I haven't driven or been insured on that licence for a few years it wouldn't make any difference and it would still be really expensive?
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving.

Originally Posted by Paul M B
I will have zero no claims bonus but it it would also mean I'm not declaring an accident I had which puts my current quote at over €5000! Maybe as I haven't driven or been insured on that licence for a few years it wouldn't make any difference and it would still be really expensive?
You may wish to read the following thread, which concerns a case similar to yours:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...fornia-878185/
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It was YOU that had the accident, not your US insurance policy. When the insurance form asks "have you had any accidents in the past x years; give details", the answer in your case is clear, and to answer otherwise would be fraud, voiding your coverage.

You may "get away" with your fraud until you try to make a claim, which is exactly when you need it most!

Also, bear in mind that insurance fraud is a crime, which would be added to any other charge resulting from any future accident you cause.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It was YOU that had the accident, not your US insurance policy. When the insurance form asks "have you had any accidents in the past x years; give details", the answer in your case is clear, and to answer otherwise would be fraud, voiding your coverage.

You may "get away" with your fraud until you try to make a claim, which is exactly when you need it most!

Also, bear in mind that insurance fraud is a crime, which would be added to any other charge resulting from any future accident you cause.
It's not that I am trying to cheat the system. It's more that I don't know how insurance works when it becomes an international thing. When we rang up for a quote we used my US licence details but now I've discovered my UK one is still valid i thought putting the insurance on that would make some difference. As a bit of background when I got insured in the US for the first time they weren't insterested in details of any no claims from the UK. My insurance started from scratch basically.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teejaydee
You may wish to read the following thread, which concerns a case similar to yours:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...fornia-878185/
Thanks. I suspected that it might step into illegal practices but I wasn't sure. Hopefully my UK licence can bring the premium down a little as it seems the US licence has no worth here.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what car you have, but the quote of €5000 seems very high. It might be wise (if you haven't already done so) to go to an insurance broker. You should be able to find one in most towns in Ireland. These brokers can often provide better quotes than the on-line providers. A broker can be a useful person to speak with in cases like your own, as he/she can provide more of a personalised service.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I have no idea what car you have, but the quote of €5000 seems very high. It might be wise (if you haven't already done so) to go to an insurance broker. You should be able to find one in most towns in Ireland. These brokers can often provide better quotes than the on-line providers. A broker can be a useful person to speak with in cases like your own, as he/she can provide more of a personalised service.
We wanted a decent car but went with a 1.0 Polo. We know some other Americans who also had a lot of trouble with high rates or were simply refused a quote and they advised Mcarthy and Liberty. So far what we have been told is if we have five years of no claims insurance will be €1800 for both of us and will go down if we get Irish licences but if we have any claims then it sky rockets. I figured it had a to do with the licence and country as well. If not then I best get my UK licence exchanged asap.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that I am trying to cheat the system. It's more that I don't know how insurance works when it becomes an international thing. When we rang up for a quote we used my US licence details but now I've discovered my UK one is still valid i thought putting the insurance on that would make some difference. As a bit of background when I got insured in the US for the first time they weren't insterested in details of any no claims from the UK. My insurance started from scratch basically.
But not recognizing your no claims is the opposite of asking about your claims/ accident history. Yes, the insurance companies stack the odds in their favour, but you should expect to have to disclose the "negatives" while the insurance company doesn't care about the "positives".
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just moved to Ireland and found out after researching that my UK driving licence is technically still valid even though I can't renew my photo I.D. Now my question is when I come to insure a car because I'm now no longer going to use my US driving licence can I also not declare the insurance policies I had while I was driving over there? I will have zero no claims bonus but it it would also mean I'm not declaring an accident I had which puts my current quote at over €5000! Maybe as I haven't driven or been insured on that licence for a few years it wouldn't make any difference and it would still be really expensive?

One thing I noticed is that some insurance companies really try to rip you off here, but not all brokers are that great either. You really have to take your time and contact every company and question the quotes (you received cheaper offers elsewhere etc.). €5000 is the highest quote I've ever heard of and most young drivers would be quoted over €1000 if it's a smaller car. Some companies will offer cheaper insurance if you have an Irish licence etc. I had over 5+ years no claims and was also quoted over a €1000 with partner, but managed to knock down to around €400, so it's really like a Turkish bazaar.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
One thing I noticed is that some insurance companies really try to rip you off here, but not all brokers are that great either. You really have to take your time and contact every company and question the quotes (you received cheaper offers elsewhere etc.). €5000 is the highest quote I've ever heard of and most young drivers would be quoted over €1000 if it's a smaller car. Some companies will offer cheaper insurance if you have an Irish licence etc. I had over 5+ years no claims and was also quoted over a €1000 with partner, but managed to knock down to around €400, so it's really like a Turkish bazaar.
Thanks. We contacted insurance companies that other Americans who went through the same thing recommended to us after being given the run around so we thought we would be okay. Both quoted over €5000 with zero no claims with Liberty saying €1800 with five years of no claims. My wife has five years plus of them but as I'm on her insurance and only have a year of them it counts against us. We even got told just having her name on and me not driving wouldn't make any difference. Is this is all nonsense? What insurance group did you go with?
Old Jun 7th 2016, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. We contacted insurance companies that other Americans who went through the same thing recommended to us after being given the run around so we thought we would be okay. Both quoted over €5000 with zero no claims with Liberty saying €1800 with five years of no claims. My wife has five years plus of them but as I'm on her insurance and only have a year of them it counts against us. We even got told just having her name on and me not driving wouldn't make any difference. Is this is all nonsense? What insurance group did you go with?
Currently with Aviva, but was with AA before that. The companies constantly tell you something different and I get the impression nobody really knows much. I wanted to add a second car to our policy under my name, but suddenly they told me if I add a 2nd car they have to quote me as a young driver, because they don't consider the no claims for the 2nd car. I did research and just told them to add me as the 2nd driver and put my wife as first driver and suddenly the quote dropped by €900.

I would first get insurance quotes online and once you have a really good offer save it and ring them, but if you aren't happy with quotes go to broker offices in person.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Currently with Aviva, but was with AA before that. The companies constantly tell you something different and I get the impression nobody really knows much. I wanted to add a second car to our policy under my name, but suddenly they told me if I add a 2nd car they have to quote me as a young driver, because they don't consider the no claims for the 2nd car. I did research and just told them to add me as the 2nd driver and put my wife as first driver and suddenly the quote dropped by €900.

I would first get insurance quotes online and once you have a really good offer save it and ring them, but if you aren't happy with quotes go to broker offices in person.
Alright thank you. I will get looking at that today.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

So far all I'm getting is companies not wanting to even quote me or high premiums. I'm wondering if can get some temporary insurance from the uk while I get my Irish licence?
Old Jun 7th 2016, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So far all I'm getting is companies not wanting to even quote me or high premiums. I'm wondering if can get some temporary insurance from the uk while I get my Irish licence?
If you think you are being charged too much unfairly

Under current equality law, when you buy goods or services including financial services you cannot be discriminated against purely because of your:
  • Race
  • Marital status
  • Family status
  • Sexuality
  • Disability
  • Religion
  • Lifestyle
Insurers cannot refuse to give you cover, or charge more for any of the above reasons, unless they can show that the difference in treatment is reasonable and justified in relation to the risks involved. For more information about when it would be reasonable for an insurance company to treat you differently, contact the Equality Authority.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you think you are being charged too much unfairly

Under current equality law, when you buy goods or services including financial services you cannot be discriminated against purely because of your:
  • Race
  • Marital status
  • Family status
  • Sexuality
  • Disability
  • Religion
  • Lifestyle
Insurers cannot refuse to give you cover, or charge more for any of the above reasons, unless they can show that the difference in treatment is reasonable and justified in relation to the risks involved. For more information about when it would be reasonable for an insurance company to treat you differently, contact the Equality Authority.

Might be worth going down that route. If they want to make it difficult, make it difficult for them.

Found this article today

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consu...imes-1.2674854

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 7th 2016 at 11:37 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.