Reload this Page >

Do I Need to exchange UK Driving License

Do I Need to exchange UK Driving License

Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Barnes76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I Need to exchange UK Driving License

Ok i'm getting conflicting info re this.,

Can i keep using my UK driving license while living in Ireland? I've heard from various sources including Gardai that i need to exchange for Irish License after 6mths (ive lived here for over a yr now) but I've also heard under EU rules that I'm entitled to keep using my UK license until it expires.

Obviously the later option would suit me better but I just need clarification on this and keep seem to find a definitive answer.. help appreciated
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:18 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do I Need to exchange UK Driving License

Originally Posted by Barnes76

Can i keep using my UK driving license while living in Ireland? I've heard from various sources including Gardai that i need to exchange for Irish License after 6mths (ive lived here for over a yr now) but I've also heard under EU rules that I'm entitled to keep using my UK license until it expires.

Obviously the later option would suit me better but I just need clarification on this and keep seem to find a definitive answer.. help appreciated
No, you don't need an Irish driving licence at any stage.
The licence carries an EU symbol which means it's acceptable in any EU country.
It also doesn't affect your insurance or anything else.
When your UK driving licence expires simply renew it.

Edit: Many UK people I know living permanently in Ireland have both licences so if they're driving in the UK on Irish plates and receive automatic speeding points or are stopped by police for an offence etc they simply produce their Irish licence and apart from paying the fine they don't get penalty points. It's a grey area but in practice police in both countries have more important things on their plates.

Last edited by Cuthbert Rizla; Jun 12th 2012 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:01 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
No, you don't need an Irish driving licence at any stage.
The licence carries an EU symbol which means it's acceptable in any EU country.
It also doesn't affect your insurance or anything else.
When your UK driving licence expires simply renew it.

Edit: Many UK people I know living permanently in Ireland have both licences so if they're driving in the UK on Irish plates and receive automatic speeding points or are stopped by police for an offence etc they simply produce their Irish licence and apart from paying the fine they don't get penalty points. It's a grey area but in practice police in both countries have more important things on their plates.
Do I need a dog licence for an English Setter as he's only here visiting me?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:50 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sickntired
Do I need a dog licence for an English Setter as he's only here visiting me?
That depends on his colour.
He's not a Black and Tan by any chance is he ?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:13 am
Account Closed

That depends on his colour.
He's not a Black and Tan by any chance is he ?
He's not much of a gun dog as he up and ran from the rifles of the IRA.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I ought to mention here (only from this sites point of view)

Yes, its OK and acceptable to use a UK Photo Licence in other EU countries, but legally only until it expires. Photo Licences expire every 10 years (the date is on the front of the licence) which is often not realised. Once it expires, and you are no longer a UK resident as you are living permanently abroad, then you cannot (legally) renew your UK photo licence in the UK and have to take one of your country of residence. EU Inter Country driver licence agreements apply.

I know whats coming . Yes, I know that many people just renew their licences anyway, but to do that you have to declare that you are a UK resident, and if you do (when you arent) then you are making a false declaration to the Licencing authority.

The UK Consul web sites state that once a licence expires or is lost or stolen then you have to replace it with one of the country of your EU residence. In the case of a lost or stolen one then you can get a certificate of entitlement

Also from speaking to DVLA on the subject some time ago, it is not legal to hold two driving licences at the same time ..... for obvious reasons
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
OK, I ought to mention here (only from this sites point of view)

Yes, its OK and acceptable to use a UK Photo Licence in other EU countries, but legally only until it expires. Photo Licences expire every 10 years (the date is on the front of the licence) which is often not realised. Once it expires, and you are no longer a UK resident as you are living permanently abroad, then you cannot (legally) renew your UK photo licence in the UK and have to take one of your country of residence. EU Inter Country driver licence agreements apply.

I know whats coming . Yes, I know that many people just renew their licences anyway, but to do that you have to declare that you are a UK resident, and if you do (when you arent) then you are making a false declaration to the Licencing authority.

The UK Consul web sites state that once a licence expires or is lost or stolen then you have to replace it with one of the country of your EU residence. In the case of a lost or stolen one then you can get a certificate of entitlement

Also from speaking to DVLA on the subject some time ago, it is not legal to hold two driving licences at the same time ..... for obvious reasons

Point taken - the reality of the situation is that Irish police really don't care about something like this.They're simply much more inefficient and lazy than the UK police and are facing the same financial pressures as everyone else in Ireland so their priorities lie elsewhere.

Anyone moving to Ireland should simply say they've lost their old licence and get another one for 10 years.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken - the reality of the situation is that Irish police really don't care about something like this.They're simply much more inefficient and lazy than the UK police and are facing the same financial pressures as everyone else in Ireland so their priorities lie elsewhere.

Anyone moving to Ireland should simply say they've lost their old licence and get another one for 10 years.
Yes, I understand
In Spain they have started to clamp down on this and the UK authorities, if they have any other info will just simply refuse to issue
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes, I understand
In Spain they have started to clamp down on this and the UK authorities, if they have any other info will just simply refuse to issue
My friend has a UK licence (non pic) that expires when he is 70 yo and the Gardai said it was ok. But technically it can't be as you have to inform DVLA when you change address, and you can't change address outside of the UK. So what's the story there then?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:01 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barnes76

I got an Irish Taxi badge with a UK license. The Gards never said a word about it only some jobs worth at the Taxi Regulator, which i ignored. My address was the family house in Battersea.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:52 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

I currently hold both a UK, and Irish driving licence.
I could also hold a UK and Irish passport simultaneously, however I choose just to hold an Irish passport.
There is no obligation to exchange ones UK licence for an Irish one, despite the common misconception of the Gardai.
One can drive anywhere in the EU, with any EU driving licence one holds.
It is useful to have both, in the case of avoiding penalty point endorsements.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:13 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
I currently hold both a UK, and Irish driving licence.
I could also hold a UK and Irish passport simultaneously, however I choose just to hold an Irish passport.
There is no obligation to exchange ones UK licence for an Irish one, despite the common misconception of the Gardai.
One can drive anywhere in the EU, with any EU driving licence one holds.
It is useful to have both, in the case of avoiding penalty point endorsements.
In essence Sean you are correct, but as I previously stated if you reside in another country away from the UK then you cannot legally renew your UK photo licence, or indeed replace it should you lose it. You have to be a UK resident to do that.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

jordanmcclements is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.

This is slightly out of context, as I am living in N.Ireland not R.Ireland.

But bear with me...

I had a N.Ireland driving license before I moved to England.

It expired.

I got a GB driving license at my English address (old style non photo).

I moved back to N.Ireland.

My GB license doesn't expire for another 29 years or so.

As I understand it, I am perfectly within my rights to use this license until it expires, yes? (After all you can't change the license address to one that is outside GB, and I'm not required to get a new license if I move outside GB until my old one expires as I understand it anyway)? I know this is a bit ridiculous as N.I. is part of the UK. But that's how I understand it...
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:01 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jordanmcclements
Hi everyone.

But bear with me...

It expired.

As I understand it, I am perfectly within my rights to use this license until it expires, yes? (After all you can't change the license address to one that is outside GB, and I'm not required to get a new license if I move outside GB until my old one expires as I understand it anyway)? I know this is a bit ridiculous as N.I. is part of the UK. But that's how I understand it...
No, thats not normally correct

Your GB licence expires every 10 years, and if you are not resident in the UK then you cant renew it. But you are resident in the UK . I didnt know you had your own licences there
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jordanmcclements
Hi everyone.

But bear with me...

It expired.

It's the pink licence without the picture? If so drive o.n

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.