Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

The delights of property buying in Ireland

The delights of property buying in Ireland

Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Butterycups is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry The delights of property buying in Ireland

Well...all was going ticketyboo, we've sold our house and today I emailed the property agent in Ireland to ask if our offer had been accepted on the house we've decided to go for.
And...well...the reply was. It will take 3-4 weeks for a reply as the property is a repossession and the bank will take a while to get back. They will need to have it revalued as the offer is less than the asking price (offers generally are, thought I). Does that mean that every offer that's made means the house must be revalued? lol What a crazy state of affairs.

After the bank has decided if the offer is good enough it will then take a further 3 months!!!!!!! for the sale to complete. What????

So, my question is, if anyone doesn't mind letting me know, is it normal for a repossessed property to take 4 months to complete? Gotta laugh or I'd be crying. lol
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Latemover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The delights of property buying in Ireland

Hi, we are hopefully moving soon to Roscommon/Galway border area. Have to get PPS number through solicitor as part of house purchase process - cannot purchase property without this apparently so if you want to speed up the buying process perhaps you should get a solicitor and get going on this while finalizing the actual house purchase arrangements! We still live in UK but our solicitor sent us the documents by email and we sent back copies of passports and relevant evidence of UK address, birth certs etc. and says these are acceptable for her to get us the PPS number!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butterycups
Well...all was going ticketyboo, we've sold our house and today I emailed the property agent in Ireland to ask if our offer had been accepted on the house we've decided to go for.
And...well...the reply was. It will take 3-4 weeks for a reply as the property is a repossession and the bank will take a while to get back. They will need to have it revalued as the offer is less than the asking price (offers generally are, thought I). Does that mean that every offer that's made means the house must be revalued? lol What a crazy state of affairs.

After the bank has decided if the offer is good enough it will then take a further 3 months!!!!!!! for the sale to complete. What????

So, my question is, if anyone doesn't mind letting me know, is it normal for a repossessed property to take 4 months to complete? Gotta laugh or I'd be crying. lol
Unfortunately, the offer you have made is not the only consideration the bank will have to make. If they accept your offer, there will be a "debt write off" for the seller. It will take approx 3-6 weeks depending on which bank you are dealing with. If they can accept your offer without taking too big a hit they will. It's not all written off for tax reasons.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

johnthebridge is an unknown quantity at this point

So, my question is, if anyone doesn't mind letting me know, is it normal for a repossessed property to take 4 months to complete? Gotta laugh or I'd be crying. lol[/QUOTE]

From personal experience, it could take longer than that. I looked at a place in Offaly that I liked, owned by a chap who was into the bank for more than the asking price. I made him a bid, which he accepted in principle, it then went to the agent, who had to contact the bank's legal eagle, and I heard nothing more. No acknowledgement, nothing. That was four years ago.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

could it simply be maƱana, the fact that you're an outsider & they don't like the fact that outsiders are buying property - or, its the way it is in Ireland unless you are physically there on top of it nagging & literally begging to get the deal closed?

Moving to Ireland for me would be to first find a six-month furnished rental in the area that I'd want to live - show that I have an Ireland address, do the rounds of the estate agent telling them I'd like to buy with the specs of the property - let me know if & when you have something & that I am scouting other agents also.

It just seems reading these threads that mainland UK folks have a very difficult time buying property. Seeing it from their side - do the estate agents in Ireland see that you are a serious buyer or just a tyre kicker
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Seeing it from their side - do the estate agents in Ireland see that you are a serious buyer or just a tyre kicker[/QUOTE]

I was a serious buyer. So much so that after three years of hunting, I found, and bought a property in Co. Galway.
My very comprehensive experience of Irish estate agents and auctioneers over that time lead me to the conclusion, and here I shall speak delicately, that at the very least they have much to learn before they achieve anything like an efficient way of doing business. One or two stood out, including one Englishman working here, but for the most part-oh boy.
To be fair, they don't have the same remit as English agents, ie their primary role is merely to facilitate the start of the process-after that, you're on your own. And don't get me started about Irish conveyancing solicitors!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

John, with you having gone the frustrating experience & finally finding that house - would you mind sharing some points on what to do buying in Ireland, the type of agent to look for (how do you know they're good & will work for you/with you) as well as the solicitor to close the deal properly
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by not2old
John, with you having gone the frustrating experience & finally finding that house - would you mind sharing some points on what to do buying in Ireland, the type of agent to look for (how do you know they're good & will work for you/with you) as well as the solicitor to close the deal properly
As you all can see it is not easy to buy a "repo" property. It is however fairly straightforward to buy a property where the seller has the deeds in their hands.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
Oh that it was that simple. My own experience imbued me with one aim and that was to never have to go through it again! Having said that, since being over here and with the experience I gained, I would say that I would now view it as an easier process.
As to your suggestion, rather than try and give any general advice which can only be based on my own experiences, I'd be happy to try and answer specific questions if they were either posted on here, or via PM.
If I sound negative, my apologies. I like living here, and my Irish friends and neighbours are great. But, I'm retired. I don't have to find work or fund a mortgage. I don't have small dependent kids. I have the loan of a horse to cut the grass.
What I would say is this-if you have some romantic notion of the West, Connemara sunsets, the diddly diddly music and the smell of the turf smoke in your nostrils, then get real. Ireland and the Irish have moved on. Of course you can still get those things, should you so desire, but that particular viewpoint won't support you in everyday living, and in Ireland today, jobs in rural areas are extremely hard to come by. Anyone thinking of moving here will have to have a very realistic view of how they intend to support themselves and any dependents. Don't think you'll "live off the land", unless you have a great deal of experience of doing so, and sufficient land on which to do it. Don't, as so many seem to do, be swayed by cheap property alone. There's more to it than that.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by johnthebridge
Oh that it was that simple. My own experience imbued me with one aim and that was to never have to go through it again! Having said that, since being over here and with the experience I gained, I would say that I would now view it as an easier process.
As to your suggestion, rather than try and give any general advice which can only be based on my own experiences, I'd be happy to try and answer specific questions if they were either posted on here, or via PM.
If I sound negative, my apologies. I like living here, and my Irish friends and neighbours are great. But, I'm retired. I don't have to find work or fund a mortgage. I don't have small dependent kids. I have the loan of a horse to cut the grass.
What I would say is this-if you have some romantic notion of the West, Connemara sunsets, the diddly diddly music and the smell of the turf smoke in your nostrils, then get real. Ireland and the Irish have moved on. Of course you can still get those things, should you so desire, but that particular viewpoint won't support you in everyday living, and in Ireland today, jobs in rural areas are extremely hard to come by. Anyone thinking of moving here will have to have a very realistic view of how they intend to support themselves and any dependents. Don't think you'll "live off the land", unless you have a great deal of experience of doing so, and sufficient land on which to do it. Don't, as so many seem to do, be swayed by cheap property alone. There's more to it than that.
+1
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

terrygees366 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a cash offer accepted on a property in Co. Mayo in August.
The vendors wanted a quick sale.
I paid a deposit and waited and waited and ......
The solicitor dealing with the purchase is a hoot.
No sign of a contract yet, despite the property being on the market for over four years.
Two weeks ago I had an e-mail saying they were waiting for their scanner to be repaired.
Yesterday I sent a message to the solicitor and the agent saying I've had enough.
I'll be over later this month and sort out a rental and keep my cash in my back pocket for now.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by terrygees366
I had a cash offer accepted on a property in Co. Mayo in August.
The vendors wanted a quick sale.
I paid a deposit and waited and waited and ......
The solicitor dealing with the purchase is a hoot.
No sign of a contract yet, despite the property being on the market for over four years.
Two weeks ago I had an e-mail saying they were waiting for their scanner to be repaired.
Yesterday I sent a message to the solicitor and the agent saying I've had enough.
I'll be over later this month and sort out a rental and keep my cash in my back pocket for now.
They've probably decided to sell it to someone else for more.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

That crossed my mind a while ago and they're keeping me on board in case anything goes wrong.
I was also expecting a message saying they've had a higher offer am I still interested.
Having bought and sold a few properties these well known ruses cut no ice with me.
I'll call round in a couple of weeks and put a 'Good luck in your new home' card through their door.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Latemover is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are being a bit premature. Firstly, is your solicitor in the process of applying for a national insurance no. (PSS) for you? This can take a couple of months and theres no point in processing the sale until its done. Assuming you have the number and you can go ahead immediately, properties often do not have upmto date registry of deeds, so this can take time to sort out, especially if a will is involved. There are too many properties on the market for gazumping to be a realistic possibility, the auctioneers just want to secure a sale and get their commission - be nice to all involved, it will get you much further than being antagonistic. Good luck!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

PSS number is not required -I'm retired.

Two weeks ago my solicitor said that they had the contract but couldn't send a copy as their scanner was being repaired.
The agent told me that the vendor's solicitor was waiting for the contract to be returned.
I understand your comments but there seems to me to be too many holes in these statements for them all to add up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.