British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   County Wicklow (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/county-wicklow-943080/)

Nosnam762 Mar 9th 2022 10:43 am

County Wicklow

Hi All -

Very first post with lots of question - very very grateful for any advice or info 🤞

My husband has been offered a big promotion with his current company which will literally change our family life. The new position in however in Bray, Co Wicklow. We are currently in the very north of Scotland & on initial looking around Co Wicklow on Google maps etc looks very similar ie coast & beaches which we love and will make the move a bit easier for the children.

We would have to rent initially I think as a mortgage wouldn’t be something we could apply until we’ve lived in Ireland for a set amount of time - please correct me of this is wrong? We don’t want to rent in Dublin or Suburbs ie Blackrock, Sallynoggin, Dalkey as they are so expensive and also being from a small place we think for the kids it would be easier transition. So …. We have looked around Bray where rent is still expensive & Enniskerry (which looks absolutely like the perfect town / village) but houses for rent seem very rare and again expensive. Then other places we have looked at say 20-30 mins commute on Google maps but when asking my husbands new boss he said that is incorrect - ie - Naas or Sallins Co Kildare.

Has anyone got any advice for renting in Co Wicklow? Where is a reasonable commute if working in Bray (30 mins max)? We have 1 dog also which will add a negative to landlords. When we arrive I plan to look for a job (accounts/bookkeeping/finance is my area of experience) which will give us more of an income but obviously we cant rely on that income while pricing rentals as I might not get employed in this field - have looked on job sites and job adverts do come up but mostly full time - Any advice on job market? Is part time common over with you guys?

The promotion means his salary is increased immediately by €12,000 and after 6 months a further €15,000 also the position offers bonuses for Management on top of salary but as the Bray place isn’t up and running until my Husband arrives the bonus will only be €1,000 a month for the first year & then will increase with the business building… this is what make it amazing for our family as when that kicks in 1-2 yrs from now we will be so much better off but it’s the price of rent for that first year which will eat massively into our savings.

Sorry I am rambling on now it’s just heartbreaking that we might have to pass on this huge opportunity because the first 12 month renting in Bray or suburbs will eat our savings. We also have to consider Healthcare - can you give me best companies for families? What level of cover do you all have for a standard family?

Just to add my Nana was Irish - born & bred on the outskirts of Millstreet, Co Cork so we have visited Ireland and family spread out from their up to NI and have always love the country.

Thank in advance for any help.

XO

Moses2013 Mar 9th 2022 11:33 am

Re: County Wicklow

Personally live near West Coast but the whole of Ireland has a rental shortage at the moment. I do know the area around Bray and we have driven and walked around Dalkey/Blackrock a few times.
As you say, the whole area is very expensive and people like Bono from U2 or Matt Damon live or have lived in Dalkey. Enniskerry was used as the village in a recent Disney film, so these are all areas that are very expensive. What is your budget when it comes to buying a home? Usually you have to be past probation period to qualify. It was a lot easier when we moved over 10 years ago and houses were very cheap back then. Luckily I can work from home, so basically ask for a Dublin salary without paying Dublin house prices. I see it with friends and Covid/Brexit has just made commuter towns outside Dublin more attractive and prices around Bray have increased a lot https://www.independent.ie/regionals...-41346897.html

Regarding healthcare , most employers offer private health plans with an employment contract (Laya etc.). I do enjoy the quality of life we have here and compared to many parts of the UK it's a lot more relaxed here, although when I drive to Dublin it's stress for me:-). We travel around Ireland a lot and nearly every weekend it's hiking, going to the beach, lakes and then Dublin for shopping every now and then. We don't have kids though, so that's another challenge finding the right place.

omalley1 Apr 4th 2022 4:00 pm

My sister lives in Bray and it really is a lovely place to live. It has great schools and shops on your doorstep with the sea and mountains for great walks. Its great for a family and with a station very handy for getting into Dublin and good motorway access. The pubs are great and lots of drama clubs etc for the kids. I believe you wll settle nicely there. I personally love Blackrock and Dalkey but yes its out of reach for most people tbh. But still on your door step if you want to visit. I'd happily swap my UK life in Kent for Wicklow Ireland any day but I have older children now who have set down roots here. Give it a try and join as many clubs you can to meet people so you dont feel isolated.

OrangeMango Apr 19th 2022 10:31 am

From a pure financial and salary perspective a move from Scotland to Dublin or Wicklow is rarely a promotion, even if the job involves more responsibilities than the one in Scotland.

First of all, you're on the Euro, not the British pound, the Euro currency tends to be volatile at times of crisis and interest rates set by the EZB are also very low. Also, you'd have to consider that mostly everything in Ireland is more expensive from what you're used to in the UK, so the increase in salary might translate into very little in Ireland. Food, car insurance, health care, and the biggest issue is housing and renting.

There is a massive massive shortage of residential properties of all sorts across Ireland, but in the Dublin area that's even more than anywhere. The housing shortage in Ireland is mainly man made, lack of construction, slow application processes, and high construction costs, little competition between builders, plus there is the problem of the last financial crisis back in 2008 / 2009, bailing out the banks by the taxpayer and deliberate lack of supply to push prices up to Celtic tiger levels.

Apart from all that, Dublin, South Dublin and Wicklow are very very nice places to live. I don't think you'd ever feel isolated there, people are open minded and friendly. You'd integrate with ease.