British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   Which County? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/county-844943/)

Swim4good Oct 12th 2014 2:31 pm

Which County?

I posted last year re a move to Waterville which for one reason and another that I won't bore you with the move never happened. We're now definitely moving to Ireland in the first half of 2015 and are still not sure about which County will be best for us so are looking for some advice/input/opinions from you all please!

My husband is 62 and a retired osteopath (very fit and sporty, still doing Ironman Triathlons and Long Distance Trail running). I'm 47 and a Pilates Teacher (love trail-walking, swimming, horse-riding and body-boarding). No children so no schooling etc to worry about.

We love the sea and the mountains and would love to be in the most rugged countryside possible but at the same time I still wish to establish some classes to teach and also try and obtain some additional part-time work if possible (yes, I know what the employment situation is like!) so recognise that although we'd love to be as isolated as possible this may not be the practical choice.

I lived near Bantry Bay, Co Cork for just over a year and found everybody, locals and incomers alike, very friendly and welcoming (I'm English, my husband French). We're considering various Counties and although i've done alot of research I'm becoming confused as to which are the most "incomer friendly" and which are the best ones to avoid! Although we like our privacy and isolation we do also want to contribute to the community by helping out with charity work or supporting local projects. We will also join local triathlon/cycling clubs etc.

We're not stupid. We realise that there will be positives and negatives and that it could be tough settling in for the first couple of years but just need a bit of help as to the reality of living in various counties please? We're currently considering Co Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Tipperary and Roscommon but would welcome info on other Counties too. Thanks!

Moses2013 Oct 13th 2014 8:21 am

Re: Which County?

Originally Posted by Swim4good (Post 11436094)
I posted last year re a move to Waterville which for one reason and another that I won't bore you with the move never happened. We're now definitely moving to Ireland in the first half of 2015 and are still not sure about which County will be best for us so are looking for some advice/input/opinions from you all please!

My husband is 62 and a retired osteopath (very fit and sporty, still doing Ironman Triathlons and Long Distance Trail running). I'm 47 and a Pilates Teacher (love trail-walking, swimming, horse-riding and body-boarding). No children so no schooling etc to worry about.

We love the sea and the mountains and would love to be in the most rugged countryside possible but at the same time I still wish to establish some classes to teach and also try and obtain some additional part-time work if possible (yes, I know what the employment situation is like!) so recognise that although we'd love to be as isolated as possible this may not be the practical choice.

I lived near Bantry Bay, Co Cork for just over a year and found everybody, locals and incomers alike, very friendly and welcoming (I'm English, my husband French). We're considering various Counties and although i've done alot of research I'm becoming confused as to which are the most "incomer friendly" and which are the best ones to avoid! Although we like our privacy and isolation we do also want to contribute to the community by helping out with charity work or supporting local projects. We will also join local triathlon/cycling clubs etc.

We're not stupid. We realise that there will be positives and negatives and that it could be tough settling in for the first couple of years but just need a bit of help as to the reality of living in various counties please? We're currently considering Co Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Tipperary and Roscommon but would welcome info on other Counties too. Thanks!

Live in Co. Galway myself, but to be honest you can't go too wrong whatever you decide. Co Mayo, Co Galway, Co Clare are also counties to consider and you have sea mountains etc. Anywhere between Westport and Galway would offer what you're looking for and Connemara probably ticks all your boxes.

Swim4good Oct 13th 2014 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11436680)
Live in Co. Galway myself, but to be honest you can't go too wrong whatever you decide. Co Mayo, Co Galway, Co Clare are also counties to consider and you have sea mountains etc. Anywhere between Westport and Galway would offer what you're looking for and Connemara probably ticks all your boxes.

Thanks Moses2013. Is there much difference between them with regards to integrating? We're not huge social animals by any means but do want to feel accepted and part of the community.

Moses2013 Oct 13th 2014 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Swim4good (Post 11436745)
Thanks Moses2013. Is there much difference between them with regards to integrating? We're not huge social animals by any means but do want to feel accepted and part of the community.

Like anywhere there are people who are open and others who aren't, but I don't think that has anything to do with the county. If you go to Galway you'll find that the city is full with tourists and people from around the world live there. You can go to any small village and you'll find friendly people.

Swim4good Oct 13th 2014 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11436785)
Like anywhere there are people who are open and others who aren't, but I don't think that has anything to do with the county. If you go to Galway you'll find that the city is full with tourists and people from around the world live there. You can go to any small village and you'll find friendly people.

True. Totally agree. Just wanted to be sure! I know that both in the UK and here in France some counties are more "open" than others. Having said that, I really believe that the majority of people (and I say the majority because no matter what country you live in there are always one or two eejits that prefer to make life miserable for themselves and others!) accept outsiders as long as an effort is made by us and as long as we don't arrive expecting it all to be a bed of roses.

nolanger Nov 3rd 2014 5:59 pm

Sligo would be a good choice for those activities.

mrhappygolucky Nov 4th 2014 7:48 am

Rathkeale, Co Limerick should be kept well away from.

Swim4good Nov 4th 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Is Co Limerick best avoided in general or is it just that particular area? I've also seen a couple of places in Cavan if anybody can advise?

Moses2013 Nov 4th 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Swim4good (Post 11461000)
Thanks for the info everyone. Is Co Limerick best avoided in general or is it just that particular area? I've also seen a couple of places in Cavan if anybody can advise?

Rathkeale is basically full of travellers, but it's not the whole of Co. Limerick.
Like anywhere use common sense and you'll be fine. Talk to people, look at your surroundings etc. Like anywhere there are estates where people live and don't give a s...