could it be ireland?

Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:18 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: could it be ireland?

Hi Tillergirl.

I'm Irish, living in Auckland. I might be able to give you a perspective on Ireland vs New Zealand. It depends on what you don't like here because NZ is actually more similar to live in to Ireland than it is to the UK - I've lived there too.

If you do go to Ireland there is no problem with religion in schools there. This seems to get trotted out on a regular basis - the Ireland of today bears no resemblance to what it was even 20 years ago. When I was going to secondary school - 25 years ago - my best friend was Protestant. So, even then, there was integration in schools. Nowadays my nephews have all religions in their classes.

PM me if you'd rather and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:43 pm
Pye
Just Joined

Pye is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
No such country as "Southern Ireland". That was the name of a short-lived Home Rule state between 1920-22.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ireland

The least-ambiguous and legally correct name for the state, as I understand it, is "Republic of Ireland".
Don't really think it matters since it wasn't a legal document. We all knew what was meant by it.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:42 am
Just Joined

ciaran_ryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tillergirl
Thanks for the the info irishlinks. It's very kind of you to help.

What a beautiful part of the world you live in. Do you originate from Ireland?

Sounds like that water problem is dragging out, i hope it's rectified soon. What a pain it must be.

If you are able, could you give me your opinion on weather you think it is expensive to live in Ireland, compared to the UK.

Have a good one
Tillergirl

Its very much on a par with the UK, less crowded and more scenic.

Southern Ireland is a term we hear everyday, no-one calls it the Republic anymore, except in legal docs.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Jock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ciaran_ryan
Its very much on a par with the UK, less crowded and more scenic.

Southern Ireland is a term we hear everyday, no-one calls it the Republic anymore, except in legal docs.
....and in my local.........
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:56 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jock04
....and in my local.........
How's the weather in Connemara today?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Jock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to allJock04 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
How's the weather in Connemara today?
Lashing.

Fuar agus fluich.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:55 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Lashing.

Fuar agus fluich.
Ah so no change then

I'm from Enniscrone btw
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Ah so no change then

I'm from Enniscrone btw
Co. Sligo?

Only really know Sligo city.

I spent a fortnight there one night!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:24 am
Pog mo thoin

Co. Sligo?

Only really know Sligo city.

I spent a fortnight there one night!
yes it is Sligo, sadly not a city. Last time I was there it was a bit rough and full of druggies from the colleges! Galway is much nicer.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ah yes, it's still a town. But there's been talk lately of conferring City status.

Plus that Sligo City Hotel must've confused me!

Although I do prefer Galway, Sligo is far from the worst of the towns in the West. Mayo has some beauties!

(no names mentioned, you never know who's looking!)
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

:thumbsup
Ah yes, it's still a town. But there's been talk lately of conferring City status.

Although I do prefer Galway, Sligo is far from the worst of the towns in the West. Mayo has some beauties!

ah theres nothing like a Galway
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:18 pm
Pog mo thoin

I don't know what it has done to warrant being called a City ... maybe it was winning the Connaught final!

I prefer Galway too although we do have a great beach (Enniscrone beach).
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:16 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Belmullet... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

jomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nice

Hi TILLERGIRL
i WONDERED IF YOU WOULD SHARE SOME OF YOUR REASONS FOR LEAVING NZ? tHAT WAS OUR FIRST CHOICE AS I QUALIFY AS MIDWIFE IN JUNE. hOWEVER JUST HAVING SECOND THOUGHT DUE TO DISTANCE FOR FAMILY ETC AND CONSIDERING R.O.I . YOUR PERSPECTIVE MAY HELP US.

tHANKS U CAN PM ME IF YOU LIKE?
jO X
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Irelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant future

Hi Tillergirl and all of you...

We moved to ireland from South Africa three years ago. We live 20 miles from Galway city, in the countryside. It is absolutely beautiful.
To use a favourite irish term - the weather can be "desperate" on occasions, but nothing that cant be handled and when it is good the beauty of Ireland can take your breathe away. Yesterday I was in Loughrea, a town in Galway and stopped got five minutes beside the lake there to enjoy the views. Sun was shining on the lake, the mountains behind, and the swans getting frisky in the sunshine - it was lovely.
Besides that, I have an eight year old daughter, she is so happy at her school. I think the schools here are excellent. There is also so much imput from the parents into the whole thing in terms of sports training, arts and drama etc, my daughter and I are catholic, my husband not, but religion is not a huge issue anymore. Yes my daughter has to do IRish as a language, which believe it or not, she is doing well at as a newcomer to it. Must say I am learning a few words myself by trying to ask her her homework!! I think kids have a great lifestyle here.
Coming from SA, some things are cheaper, some more expensive but it balances out.
This is now my home and I love it.

I will be only to happy to answer any questions on the subject

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.