Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Cost of living comparison

Cost of living comparison

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of living comparison

Hello all I'm just starting to explore the idea of moving to Ireland and wanted to know how the cost of living there compares to that of the UK. I see that property prices are very competitive, but what about things like gas, electric, phone and internet etc?

Thanks for any help
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living comparison

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Hello all I'm just starting to explore the idea of moving to Ireland and wanted to know how the cost of living there compares to that of the UK. I see that property prices are very competitive, but what about things like gas, electric, phone and internet etc?

Thanks for any help
That's always a difficult question, because you have different salaries, different taxes etc. As mentioned in a previous post, when I look at salaries in the UK (admin, office work), I sometimes wonder how people can survive. It always depends on the sector, but average in the UK is £26,500 and in Ireland €36,079, however the gap between rich and poor is bigger in the UK. Because the UK is bigger and there's more competition, things like internet will be cheaper, but that's reflected in salaries. As an example: The standard rate for electricity is €0.1715 per kWh, but can be cheaper. It also depends in what type of property you're living, your heating system and habits. We have an air source heat pump, so pay less than our neighbours.
My partner and I both earn below average, can afford a 4 bed house and easily manage to save one salary. Like any country, areas closer to employment are more expensive and where there's no employment it's really cheap, but you have to drive further.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 2nd 2014 at 8:57 am.