Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Completing the Irish Foreign Birth Registration online

Completing the Irish Foreign Birth Registration online

Old Mar 7th 2019, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Jlally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Completing the Irish Foreign Birth Registration online

Hi all, I'm just getting all documents together for my application and have a couple questions.

I'm applying through my dad-grandad so no name changes to worry about. With that in mind do I need to submit my dad's marriage certificate (divorced for years now)?

who can witness the photographs? The list on the website was pretty restrictive (solicitor, judge, police officer that knows you or knows you through 3rd person)
Old Mar 7th 2019, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jlally
Hi all, I'm just getting all documents together for my application and have a couple questions.

I'm applying through my dad-grandad so no name changes to worry about. With that in mind do I need to submit my dad's marriage certificate (divorced for years now)?

who can witness the photographs? The list on the website was pretty restrictive (solicitor, judge, police officer that knows you or knows you through 3rd person)
When my wife did this last year we used the director of the local branch of Sabadell. For other queries Brian at the embassy in Madrid was very very helpful.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 9:49 am
Just Joined

JohnKearney is an unknown quantity at this point

For Proof of Residence in Spain, did you need to get your utility bills translated as well. I am hoping that the Irish embassy in Madrid would at least be able to understand such documents, since all they need to be able to read is the name and address and know that they are valid utility bills.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnKearney
For Proof of Residence in Spain, did you need to get your utility bills translated as well. I am hoping that the Irish embassy in Madrid would at least be able to understand such documents, since all they need to be able to read is the name and address and know that they are valid utility bills.
We used our Sabadell bank details which come in English and our electricity bill which also is in English so did not have a problem. In any case I would think anyone at the embassy would have to be good at Spanish so I would not see any problem with Spanish bills.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

richardhoskisson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I know this thread is a little old but hoping someone can help.

i am claiming citizenship through Irish born grand father. However, seem to have an issue with a marriage certificate as we suspect my grandparents may not have been married. Although it says their names on my mothers birth certificate not sure they were actually married at the time.

will this ruin my application?
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by richardhoskisson
Hi I know this thread is a little old but hoping someone can help.

i am claiming citizenship through Irish born grand father. However, seem to have an issue with a marriage certificate as we suspect my grandparents may not have been married. Although it says their names on my mothers birth certificate not sure they were actually married at the time.

will this ruin my application?
When we did my wife’s they absolutely wanted original certificates of birth death and marriages for each step of the line. We ordered his birth cert from the registrars office in Dublin since what we had was a pre 1921 related to before the Irish State existed but they were most helpful.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Seancoj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everybody, Im a litle confused, Im currently in the process of applying for my sons foreign birth registration.

my father was born in Ireland and Im an irish citizen (not born in ireland) with a current irish passport.. Do i need to supply my fathers documents for my son to be an irish citizen?

What has me confused is that in the website it says “ If you were born outside of Ireland, you can become an Irish citizen if:
  1. One of your grandparents was born in Ireland, or;
  2. One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, even though they were not born in Ireland”

So im going for option 2, do i need to provide documents of his grandfather?
Old Feb 14th 2020, 1:31 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seancoj
Hi Everybody, Im a litle confused, Im currently in the process of applying for my sons foreign birth registration.

my father was born in Ireland and Im an irish citizen (not born in ireland) with a current irish passport.. Do i need to supply my fathers documents for my son to be an irish citizen?

What has me confused is that in the website it says “ If you were born outside of Ireland, you can become an Irish citizen if:
  1. One of your grandparents was born in Ireland, or;
  2. One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, even though they were not born in Ireland”

So im going for option 2, do i need to provide documents of his grandfather?
You’ll need to provide your father’s birth certificate, your birth certificate and your son’s birth certificate.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Lilsasspot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I know this is old post but hopefully someone can answer me.

im enquiring on behalf of my partner. He is US citizen born there as was his mother. He’s applying for Irish citizenship as his grandmother was born there. However it asked for information on Irish parent? His mother isn’t Irish or have Irish citizenship is he still eligible?
Old Aug 17th 2020, 12:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilsasspot
Hi I know this is old post but hopefully someone can answer me.

im enquiring on behalf of my partner. He is US citizen born there as was his mother. He’s applying for Irish citizenship as his grandmother was born there. However it asked for information on Irish parent? His mother isn’t Irish or have Irish citizenship is he still eligible?
If her mother was born in Ireland then your partner’s mother would automatically be an Irish citizen.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

DaveHoward is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,I've done a family search and my great grandfather was born in Waterford. I understand that I will not be able to apply for a passport due my grandmother not being registered on the foreign birth is register. Can I register my deceased grandmother on the register ,which would the allow me to apply . Any help or advice appreciated.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

DXW059 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveHoward
Hi ,I've done a family search and my great grandfather was born in Waterford. I understand that I will not be able to apply for a passport due my grandmother not being registered on the foreign birth is register. Can I register my deceased grandmother on the register ,which would the allow me to apply . Any help or advice appreciated.
Hi,
Assuming your grandmother was born outside the island of Ireland she would have been an Irish citizen by descent from birth and it would have been her child (your parent) that needed to register on the FBR. Had they done this prior to you being born you would have been eligible for citizenship but unfortunately it no longer works retrospectively. Therefore if you yourself do not have a parent or grandparent born on the island you will not be eligible.