Common Travel Area?

Old Jun 30th 2020, 1:10 am
Just Joined

thatsnotgonnawork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Travel Area?

Forgive me if this has been asked or talked about before, but I didn't find anything in my brief search. I was reading about the CTA between the UK and Ireland, but I don't fully understand how it works. I'm unfortunately English and have no Irish ancestry at all, but I was just wondering if someone like me moved to the Republic of Ireland under the CTA and lived there for 5 or so years, would they be eligible to get an Irish and thus EU passport back? Just curious if that's how that works.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Travel Area?

Originally Posted by thatsnotgonnawork View Post
Forgive me if this has been asked or talked about before, but I didn't find anything in my brief search. I was reading about the CTA between the UK and Ireland, but I don't fully understand how it works. I'm unfortunately English and have no Irish ancestry at all, but I was just wondering if someone like me moved to the Republic of Ireland under the CTA and lived there for 5 or so years, would they be eligible to get an Irish and thus EU passport back? Just curious if that's how that works.
Yes that's how it is at the moment. Any British person can move here without restrictions and will automatically gain the right to apply for residency.
Old Yesterday, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Travel Area?

The way I understand the law is that any British citizen can relocate permanently to the Republic of Ireland. Also any Irish citizen can permanently relocate to the UK. This law is older than EU membership of both countries and may even go back to 1922?

Brexit will have no impact on this regulation. However there might be border checks in the future, but that would not hinder the general idea of permanent settlement. Corona might only be able to impose some kind of quarantine, however currently this is not the case between the UK and the Republic of Ireland as well as vice versa.