Common Travel Area?

Old Jun 30th 2020, 1:10 am
Just Joined

thatsnotgonnawork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Travel Area?

Forgive me if this has been asked or talked about before, but I didn't find anything in my brief search. I was reading about the CTA between the UK and Ireland, but I don't fully understand how it works. I'm unfortunately English and have no Irish ancestry at all, but I was just wondering if someone like me moved to the Republic of Ireland under the CTA and lived there for 5 or so years, would they be eligible to get an Irish and thus EU passport back? Just curious if that's how that works.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Travel Area?

Originally Posted by thatsnotgonnawork
Forgive me if this has been asked or talked about before, but I didn't find anything in my brief search. I was reading about the CTA between the UK and Ireland, but I don't fully understand how it works. I'm unfortunately English and have no Irish ancestry at all, but I was just wondering if someone like me moved to the Republic of Ireland under the CTA and lived there for 5 or so years, would they be eligible to get an Irish and thus EU passport back? Just curious if that's how that works.
Yes that's how it is at the moment. Any British person can move here without restrictions and will automatically gain the right to apply for residency.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

The way I understand the law is that any British citizen can relocate permanently to the Republic of Ireland. Also any Irish citizen can permanently relocate to the UK. This law is older than EU membership of both countries and may even go back to 1922?

Brexit will have no impact on this regulation. However there might be border checks in the future, but that would not hinder the general idea of permanent settlement. Corona might only be able to impose some kind of quarantine, however currently this is not the case between the UK and the Republic of Ireland as well as vice versa.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"the right to apply for residency" That does not mean citizenship which is the prerequisite to getting a passport.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
"the right to apply for residency" That does not mean citizenship which is the prerequisite to getting a passport.
I didn't say that it was anything different.

Ireland allows dual or multiple citizenships to any country as far as I know. For Brits there is no imminent need to apply for citizenship in Ireland in terms of residence, and absence or even longer absences, other than the fact that Irish citizenship goes in line with EU membership and all these benefits.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Why not go to Irish immigration website and read all info there, it's in English.
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ng_to_ireland/

Guess what, UK has website for that too!
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-ireland

Anyone allergic to Google should first check:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/allergies/
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotgonnawork
You are not alone in thinking about this. I am heartbroken over losing EU citizenship against my will. I've since read the Irish government site and others. CTA means you can just move to Ireland as others have said. As you say, it appears to take five years. If I were in a job where I could pick up and move and just live there I would. The ability to live, travel freely, work, retire in 27 countries was something I was proud to have. No more sadly.

Last edited by jenninedinburgh; Jan 3rd 2021 at 10:39 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
You are not alone in thinking about this. I am heartbroken over losing EU citizenship against my will. I've since read the Irish government site and others. CTA means you can just move to Ireland as others have said. As you say, it appears to take five years. If I were in a job where I could pick up and move and just live there I would. The ability to live, travel freely, work, retire in 27 countries was something I was proud to have. No more sadly.
You still can.
I have known two US citizens who have lived in France in different scenarios.
The first were a couple from Florida who lived in a flat in France in the summer and returned to Florida in the winter.
The second was a single man (USC) who retired to France for several years and had access to the French healthcare system.
All they needed was the correct visa.
That seems easier than trying to become a passport holder of another country.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
You are not alone in thinking about this. I am heartbroken over losing EU citizenship against my will. I've since read the Irish government site and others. .
I'd say everyone is heartbroken about the loss of EU citizenship due to Brexit. Normally, in order to lose any kind of citizenship, one must do something which is clearly in contravention with the law such as committing a crime which is incompatible with the standards of one country. Mostly this would be, if one joins ISIS or some other terrorist organization.

However in the case of Brexit, one loses EU citizenship without having committed any sort of crime. That's the sad part of it. The case is even graver if it's not just the loss of EU citizenship but also EU identity. Some Brits speak another foreign European language fluently, have friends there, or even own property, where they might want to retire at some point. Also, not every EU country allows dual citizenship.

I'd say this loss of EU citizenship opens another big can of worms.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

At least in Scotland we have a chance of getting EU citizenship back.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't think that's so easy and quite possibly with 7 to 10 years of austerity and hardship. However any kind of different opinion on this might result easily in an argument. That's just the nature of things, every time when classical nationalism is at play.

I just don't believe that Scotland can live on her own, considering that London pays for lot's of things that the SNP is offering in very liberal attitude. The EU certainly won't step in, plus there will be a hard border issue on the Island of Great Britain adding to further economic challenges and also transport. Also there is the general question of the economy, the price of oil, etc.... And then there is the question of military and defence.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I'd say everyone is heartbroken about the loss of EU citizenship due to Brexit. Normally, in order to lose any kind of citizenship, one must do something which is clearly in contravention with the law such as committing a crime which is incompatible with the standards of one country. Mostly this would be, if one joins ISIS or some other terrorist organization.

However in the case of Brexit, one loses EU citizenship without having committed any sort of crime. That's the sad part of it. The case is even graver if it's not just the loss of EU citizenship but also EU identity. Some Brits speak another foreign European language fluently, have friends there, or even own property, where they might want to retire at some point. Also, not every EU country allows dual citizenship.

I'd say this loss of EU citizenship opens another big can of worms.
Well said. I agree completely. It's a loss of a part of one's identity and it feels as if one has been robbed of it. I received my new British passport in the post last week. It was beautiful...but nothing like having a passport/freedom to live and work where one chooses without visas or restrictions in 27 countries.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

I agree and if it looks like it will happen, I will be first in line to apply for Scottish citizenship.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I don't think that's so easy and quite possibly with 7 to 10 years of austerity and hardship. However any kind of different opinion on this might result easily in an argument. That's just the nature of things, every time when classical nationalism is at play.

I just don't believe that Scotland can live on her own, considering that London pays for lot's of things that the SNP is offering in very liberal attitude. The EU certainly won't step in, plus there will be a hard border issue on the Island of Great Britain adding to further economic challenges and also transport. Also there is the general question of the economy, the price of oil, etc.... And then there is the question of military and defence.
I believe that it can.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do not believe the propaganda from London about subsidies. Before 1947 they spoun the same story about India and The Raj. During decolonisation in the 1950s and 1960s we got the same abvout Malta, Singapore and Malaya. "They cannot possibly survive without subsidies from London."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.