Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Medical card entitlement

Medical card entitlement

Old May 1st 2018, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

grumpyray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical card entitlement

My wife and I were both born in the UK and have lived in Ireland for the last 11 yrs. Our sole income is our public sector pensions issued and taxed in the UK. Neither of us are old enough yet to qualify for state pensions in either country. I have never worked in Ireland whereas my wife worked as a nurse for a number of years previously. Does anyone know please if I would qualify for a medical card as a UK citizen? I see on the HSE website references to the eligibility of EU citizens to cards. It says the application would not be means tested but would require completion of a medical card application form and an 'E-form' from your country. I have no idea what an E form is and a Google search doesn't help.
Old May 1st 2018, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical card entitlement

The E111 was replaced by the EHIC Do you have one ? They are meant to be used by those travelling rather than by those resident, but........

See this - https://www.hse.ie/eng/cards-schemes...her-countries/

Google search helped me !
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:41 am
Just Joined

grumpyray is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but issued in Ireland. Is that what the HSE refers to as an 'E-Form'. I don't think it is as I quote from the HSE web site: 'An E-form is issued in your country and confirms that you are part of a health insurance scheme in another state in the EEA/Switzerland. The HSE will also fill in parts of the E-form.' As I understand it the purpose of the EHIC is only to obtain treatment for travellers who temporarily visit another EU country.

Last edited by grumpyray; May 2nd 2018 at 9:45 am.
Old May 3rd 2018, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grumpyray
Yes, but issued in Ireland. Is that what the HSE refers to as an 'E-Form'. I don't think it is as I quote from the HSE web site: 'An E-form is issued in your country and confirms that you are part of a health insurance scheme in another state in the EEA/Switzerland. The HSE will also fill in parts of the E-form.' As I understand it the purpose of the EHIC is only to obtain treatment for travellers who temporarily visit another EU country.
Correct, EHIC is for people travelling abroad. You can find income requirements in link Medical card means test: aged under 70

Last edited by Moses2013; May 3rd 2018 at 8:43 am.