Co Cork v Co Kerry

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Swim4good is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Co Cork v Co Kerry

I know how difficult it is to answer this type of question but........... is there much difference between Co Cork and Co Kerry in terms of work?

We're moving to Ireland at the end of this year. My husband will have a monthly retirement of 1,300 euros and we intend to try and work to top this up as we realise it's obviously no where near enough to live on. He is an osteopath/physiotherapist and I am a Pilates Teacher (although I also worked as a secretary for many years so would be willing to return to that or turn my hand to just about anything to be honest).

I know the first couple of years will be a struggle and we're leaving ourselves enough money to survive on whilst we get through this initial period.

Is there much difference between the counties? I imagine not but just thought I'd ask those who know!We're looking at Kenmare/Killarney areas or West Cork. Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:17 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Co Cork v Co Kerry

I'm not moving to/living in Ireland, but I do love Kerry and if I was that's where I'd go. It's more remote than Cork, so probably Cork city would be better work-wise. Kenmare and Killarney are pretty small really.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to either county, looked around looked in the local paper of been to the job centre?

like anywhere depends on the skill you have or jobs available. Right now unemployment in Ireland is high edging close to 13.5% down 1% from 12 months ago. On a quick web search I found the following data. You could google more to search by county.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/irel...mployment-rate

As for work or types of work or jobs available, maybe the following will give you some idea of whats available, but my guess is for each available position there may be tens or hundreds applying for a single job

Cork

http://www.jobs.ie/cork_jobs.aspx

http://www.corkjobs.ie/

Kerry

http://www.jobs.ie/Jobs.aspx?Categor...s=13&Keywords=

http://www.kerryjobs.ie/

Last edited by not2old; Oct 3rd 2013 at 5:58 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi NottooOld

Yes, I've visited both counties a few times now and looked on all the websites etc. Seems to be pretty much the same situation everywhere but just thought I'd ask those of you actually living there in case you could shed any more light on things. We would be working for ourselves really. My aim is to set up group lessons in towns and villages and offer private lessons in people's homes and my husband can work as a physio/osteo on home visits etc. We don't want to earn a fortune. Just enough to live basically without too many worries. Realise it's not going to be a doddle though!
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 9:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swim4good
Hi NottooOld

Yes, I've visited both counties a few times now and looked on all the websites etc. Seems to be pretty much the same situation everywhere but just thought I'd ask those of you actually living there in case you could shed any more light on things. We would be working for ourselves really. My aim is to set up group lessons in towns and villages and offer private lessons in people's homes and my husband can work as a physio/osteo on home visits etc. We don't want to earn a fortune. Just enough to live basically without too many worries. Realize it's not going to be a doddle though!
I think your plan is great & hope it'll all work out for you both & yes it may be a tough go or simply start slow & build it up..

I'm thinking that you'll need to find folks with money that can afford such luxury items - reason I say that is because of high unemployment people tend not to spend. After they have paid for accommodation, utilities and the basics of life which includes the pub, then trying to get folks spending on pilates/yoga or physio may be a tough go - but everything possible - its likely a niche market since the scale of population is much smaller than in the UK.

One suggestion is to look at the competition, see where they are & what they charge. If there are none in certain towns & villages its likely folks either do not have a need or cannot afford those services.

I did a quick search & don't know whether you've done a google yourself on Pilates in cork or Derry or the physio side to see whats available or who is currently offering these services, it may be word of mouth business or open to competition which I'm thinking aside from quality of service is price point competitive?

Thinking outside the box - Another way to get started is if there are companies (rather than one person business) in these, is to go work part time for one of them & then as a suggestion you could build your own clientele on the back of working for someone. If no-one knows you & you're new to town (being an outsider) what is the likelihood of someone trying you out or switching from their current service?

examples
http://www.blackpoolphysio.com/

http://shaktifitness.ie/

http://www.whatclinic.com/physiother...-kerry/pilates

Last edited by not2old; Oct 3rd 2013 at 9:17 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Not2old. I have checked out the market and there are a handful of both Pilates Instructors and Physios scattered around so there is a market for it but it's just a case of getting in there, building up slowly, building up a good reputation and not expecting too much too soon I think. We have considered setting up a Pilates/Physio Studio but need to be over there for a couple of years, test the waters and go from there. Thanks for your help everyone. We're excited about the move but understand that it's not all just about beautiful views - we're prepared to get through the rougher times too!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:31 pm
Banned

Nora77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swim4good
I know how difficult it is to answer this type of question but........... is there much difference between Co Cork and Co Kerry in terms of work?
around cork there is more medical factories that are doing very well these days