Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Changing to Irish plates

Changing to Irish plates

Old Aug 8th 2009, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Guiscriff56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing to Irish plates

I've been quoted €1300 to change my UK registered car to Irish plates.This seems a bit steep to me. Does this sound about right? Thanks.
Linda
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Changing to Irish plates

Hi Linda

How old is your car and how long have you had it?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi Horus
The car is 4 years old and I have had it for 2 years
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Just looked it up online and it looks like they've changed the rules since I moved over, might have to pay now!

Try this calculator
Old Aug 9th 2009, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the link Horus, looks like it's about the right price. Definitely more than I allowed for, but hey ho, it's great to be in Ireland, love it here.
Linda
Old Aug 27th 2009, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Changing to Irish plates

Update on this thread. My local garage is going to do this for free now.
All I have to find is a mountain of paperwork proving I actually did live in England for the last 30 years and have had the car for more than 2 years.
Result!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Car now registered, another to do off the list.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Guiscriff56
Car now registered, another to do off the list.
Nice one
Old Jan 9th 2010, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Horus
Nice one
Hi All,
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but another VRT question. Years ago i imported a car into Ireland, VRT free as i had the car in the UK for years and was moving over permanently. Well, permanent was not quite as permanent as i thought and i left after a few years and went elsewhere. Now I am coming back again (permanent again :-)) and wonder if i can import VRT free again? I know about the 6 month rule and emmisions/OMSP VRT calculation, my simple question is...can i do it a second time?
Thanks chaps,
CH
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

As far as I know no you can't, you're only allowed 1 free import.

However if you had the car registered at a different address in the UK to the one you had previously you might stand a chance.

Not sure what would happen to you if you were caught though!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

southwest10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Just joined and wonder if you are saying that the garage will just change your plates but you will not have to VRT your car.
Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Nope - you'll still have to apply for a registration number, that's when they'll hit you as they'll want your UK V5 (logbook) so they'll see how long you had the car etc. Once you've gone through that and they've given you a registration number you can get plates made.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

southwest10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Thanks for your help, it appears that the Valuation of my vehicle is far in excess to its real value, and the VRT is based on their valuation!! This seems very punitive.

Thanks anyway
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southwest10
it appears that the Valuation of my vehicle is far in excess to its real value, and the VRT is based on their valuation!! This seems very punitive.
Welcome to Ireland!

Cars are more expensive over here so although you may think the valuation is in excess of what your car's worth it may be so.

Last edited by Horus; Jul 24th 2010 at 9:07 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

dryroasted is an unknown quantity at this point

Listen guys and gals, you're all idiots if you pay the VRT. I have had several UK cars imported via mainland UK and NI and I've never once had a vehicle impounded nor have I ever been stopped or pulled up.

Make sure your tax disc is well up to date and change the address to an alternative UK address such as a relatives in order to keep renewing the UK road tax fee, this will keep the Irish plods off your back, and in the very unlikely event you do get pulled up make sure you tell them you are back and over regularly as you are allowed to do this under EU regs. Anyone bringing over a new car is asking for problems as you probably won't get away with it. Also make sure you're well insured and go to a broker. not direct as you will more than likely be under insured.