Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Brits in Ireland post Brexit

Brits in Ireland post Brexit

Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits in Ireland post Brexit

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Also coming in late to the discussion as UK citizens (including spouse) currently living in the states. We probably would move directly to ROI after Brexit. My concern is if it matters we never had UK residency prior to moving, and if that would affect access to benefits such public healthcare.
If you are both British citizens then you shouldn't have a problem. The Common Travel Area and other agreements between the UK and the RoI have been in effect since independence. All residents in the RoI are entitled to public healthcare. Whether you were resident in the UK or not prior to your move is irrelevant - it's your passport that will count.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flyer1946
In recent days the tone from Ireland regarding Brexit has become threatening where the Prime Minister has been clearly stating the consequences that will be suffered by Ireland if a bad Brexit happens and the counter measures against Britain that have been threatened in consequence.

We are retirees seriously considering Ireland but are now becoming concerned that all the UK benefits that are currently enjoyed by Brits in Ireland will cease post Brexit...and more to the point,,, will all of this lead to anti-English feelings amongst the Irish with unpleasant consequences for Brits in Ireland... What thoughts??

John
The sabre rattling in the press by the Taoiseach is strictly for domestic consumption. The RoI can't complain about the impact of Brexit on the Good Friday Agreement and Anglo-Irish relations if they plan on trying to 'punish' the UK by tearing up arrangements that predate the EU by decades and which benefit both countries. The Irish have plenty of other reasons to dislike the British if they want to without resorting to Brexit.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you are both British citizens then you shouldn't have a problem. The Common Travel Area and other agreements between the UK and the RoI have been in effect since independence. All residents in the RoI are entitled to public healthcare. Whether you were resident in the UK or not prior to your move is irrelevant - it's your passport that will count.
Thanks BritInParis, as always very helpful.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

spidergirl6 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi am a british citizen i would like to move to ireland with my husband he has a eu family member visa can he get in to ireland with that and work as well
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by spidergirl6
hi am a british citizen i would like to move to ireland with my husband he has a eu family member visa can he get in to ireland with that and work as well
Your husband can travel to the Republic of Ireland with you but if you want to stay then he should apply for the relevant Irish residence permit. As your spouse he can currently remain in the RoI under EU law.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

lee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just want to clarify previous comments Iv read on this thread that apply to my personal situation.

Will it still be possible to move to ROI as a British Citizen with my non-EEA family member (my wife is Brazilian) up until the end of the brexit transition period (December 2020 If iv read correctly)?

And would the same timeframe be applicable if we decided to follow the Surinder Singh route to move to the UK?

Our plan is to spend at least a year living in Ireland, maybe 2 years if all is good, but longer term we want to be in the UK and dont want to miss the Surinder Singh route before its not an option.

Thanks in advance,

Lee
Old Aug 10th 2018, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by lee8889
Hi, just want to clarify previous comments Iv read on this thread that apply to my personal situation.

Will it still be possible to move to ROI as a British Citizen with my non-EEA family member (my wife is Brazilian) up until the end of the brexit transition period (December 2020 If iv read correctly)?

And would the same timeframe be applicable if we decided to follow the Surinder Singh route to move to the UK?

Our plan is to spend at least a year living in Ireland, maybe 2 years if all is good, but longer term we want to be in the UK and dont want to miss the Surinder Singh route before its not an option.

Thanks in advance,

Lee
As it currently stands, yes. However if the UK ends up in a ‘no deal’ scenario then the SS route could end as early as March 2019.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

lee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond reputelee8889 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thankyou again for clearing that up for me. Fingers crossed we dont reach that situation!
Old Aug 16th 2018, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an Irish passport as born there. I have lived in UK for over 60 years and sometimes forget that my nationality is Irish. I have never had any questions asked of me travelling to either country. I vote in all elections since age of 21. I have never had any problems with benefits. Was educated here, worked all my life have paid all my taxes and have British pension, and local authority workers' pension, NHS and dental benefits, plus bus pass in Scotland. I do not expect anything to change after Brexit just as it did not change before we entered EU all those years ago.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

safalmpharma is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Looking for some advice regarding Brexit/Surinder Singh/UK/Ireland.

I am British & my wife is an Indian national.

After marriage, she came from India to UK in June 2015 on Spouse / CP visa (issued for 20 Mar 2015 to 20 Dec2017). She has also lived in the UK for ~ 2years.

I have worked in the UK for 9 and she 1.5 years (employed as a full time).

In November 2016, we have moved from UK to Republic of Ireland to join new job (I got an offer).

In Ireland, she has “Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen (Stamp 4EUFam visa - valid for 5 years (15 May 2018 to 26 July 2022).

Now we want come back to UK to settle permanently over here.

Therefore, my queries are:

Which category visa I need to apply for her?

To enter her in the UK do I need first EEA family permit followed by Residence card (as per Surinder Singh route back to the UK under the EEA rules and not the UK Immigration rules). “As UK is leaving European Union is this a best route”?

Is Surinder Singh route valid post Brexit (Mar 2019)?

Or she will need spouse visa?

Many thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by safalmpharma
Hello,

Looking for some advice regarding Brexit/Surinder Singh/UK/Ireland.

I am British & my wife is an Indian national.

After marriage, she came from India to UK in June 2015 on Spouse / CP visa (issued for 20 Mar 2015 to 20 Dec2017). She has also lived in the UK for ~ 2years.

I have worked in the UK for 9 and she 1.5 years (employed as a full time).

In November 2016, we have moved from UK to Republic of Ireland to join new job (I got an offer).

In Ireland, she has “Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen (Stamp 4EUFam visa - valid for 5 years (15 May 2018 to 26 July 2022).

Now we want come back to UK to settle permanently over here.

Therefore, my queries are:

Which category visa I need to apply for her?

To enter her in the UK do I need first EEA family permit followed by Residence card (as per Surinder Singh route back to the UK under the EEA rules and not the UK Immigration rules). “As UK is leaving European Union is this a best route”?

Is Surinder Singh route valid post Brexit (Mar 2019)?

Or she will need spouse visa?

Many thanks
Take advantage of the Surinder Singh route while you can. Apply for your wife’s EEA Family Permit from Ireland and then EEA residence card after you arrive in the UK. You’ll be able to replace this with the UK government’s new ‘pre-settled’ status after Brexit for free and she can continue to live in the UK until she has accumulated five years residence at which point she can apply for ‘settled’ status and become eligible for British citizenship.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 1:26 am
Just Joined

cwresearch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi EsuriJohn - although I am late to the discussion, I noted that you are similar to both my husband and I as we too both were born in the UK but I have now obtained my Irish passport (hubby still has and likely will retain UK one) but we live between Ireland and Spain spending roughly 6 months of the year in each (2 x 3 months in each county). I therefore read with interest your comment that you are now your wife's dependent for European purposes but what exactly does this mean please and what difference does it make? with thanks.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by cwresearch
Hi EsuriJohn - although I am late to the discussion, I noted that you are similar to both my husband and I as we too both were born in the UK but I have now obtained my Irish passport (hubby still has and likely will retain UK one) but we live between Ireland and Spain spending roughly 6 months of the year in each (2 x 3 months in each county). I therefore read with interest your comment that you are now your wife's dependent for European purposes but what exactly does this mean please and what difference does it make? with thanks.
When the UK leaves the EU then British citizens’ rights as EU citizens will cease. This includes freedom of movement. Non-EU spouses of EU citizens however enjoy the same rights as their EU citizen spouses. Therefore whilst your husband’s freedom of movement rights will cease post-Brexit, yours, as an Irish citizen, will continue and therefore your husband’s as well as your spouse providing you travel together.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
When the UK leaves the EU then British citizens’ rights as EU citizens will cease. This includes freedom of movement. Non-EU spouses of EU citizens however enjoy the same rights as their EU citizen spouses. Therefore whilst your husband’s freedom of movement rights will cease post-Brexit, yours, as an Irish citizen, will continue and therefore your husband’s as well as your spouse providing you travel together.
Brit in Paris has put it much more succinctly than I could except that I would say “IF UK leaves the EU” which I hope and pray we don’t for the sake of my children and more particularly my three young grandchildren.

We have a particular problem living right on the Spanish/Portuguese border with our normal entry point through Faro airport. Even if we left with the diabolical deal and as residents of Spain with “Recidencia Perminente” from Spain I could only enter through Portugal once for 90 days each year without my Irish Spouse although I could fly or sail into Spain direct as often as I would want to.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

cwresearch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you BritInParis, as this is really helpful as well as reassuring. Best wishes and have a great 2019!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.