Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Brits in Ireland post Brexit

Brits in Ireland post Brexit

Old Jun 10th 2018, 11:33 am
Just Joined

flyer1946 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brits in Ireland post Brexit

I seem to be reading contradictory statements about what will happen to Brits living / wanting to live in Ireland post Brexit.

I read in some places that things will continue as they are with Brits living in Ireland continuing to enjoy all the benfits they would enjoy if they lived in the UK and the same for Irish citizens living in the UK.

Does anyone have a definitive answer????

John
Old Jun 10th 2018, 2:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits in Ireland post Brexit

British citizens living in the Republic of Ireland and Irish citizens living in the UK have had benefits and rights that long predate the EU/EEC, most of which are superior to those that come with citizenship of another EU country. Irish citizens are able to vote in all and stand for Parliamentary elections for instance; something EU citizens cannot do.

Irish citizens in the UK get a slightly better deal than British citizens in Ireland but that is the decision of the respective countries' governments and has nothing to do with EU membership

The only significant change will be for non-EU/EEA family members as they will no longer be able to piggyback on their British/Irish citizen family member's EEA freedom of movement in either country.

Which particular benefit are you concerned about losing?

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 10th 2018 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information. I was not concerned about the loss of a particular benefit only that as I understand it, Brits living in Ireland have the exact same benefits as if they lived in the UK and I was concerned to know if post-Brexit they would lose these benefits?

Incidentally, we have no family connections with Ireland.

Thanks,

John
Old Jun 10th 2018, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
British citizens living in the Republic of Ireland and Irish citizens living in the UK have had benefits and rights that long predate the EU/EEC, most of which are superior to those that come with citizenship of another EU country. Irish citizens are able to vote in all and stand for Parliamentary elections for instance; something EU citizens cannot do.

Irish citizens in the UK get a slightly better deal than British citizens in Ireland but that is the decision of the respective countries' governments and has nothing to do with EU membership

The only significant change will be for non-EU/EEA family members as they will no longer be able to piggyback on their British/Irish citizen family member's EEA freedom of movement in either country.

Which particular benefit are you concerned about losing?
My wife has just received her Irish citizenship and is now Irish/British. I am one generation too far removed from getting mine as a British citizen. Does this mean I will not have open access to the republic or do the 1922 rules override the LOSS OF EU/EEA status if Brexit eventually happens sometime?
Old Jun 10th 2018, 7:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
My wife has just received her Irish citizenship and is now Irish/British. I am one generation too far removed from getting mine as a British citizen. Does this mean I will not have open access to the republic or do the 1922 rules override the LOSS OF EU/EEA status if Brexit eventually happens sometime?
As a British citizen your rights will continue as before. The only benefit loss I'm aware of at the moment is the ability to rely on EEA freedom of movement rules to bring in a non-EEA family member. Not applicable to you if your wife is Irish.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

We were both British with U.K. passports until last month then she received her Irish Citizenship so for Europe I am now her dependant for Europe purposes which will be doubly useful since we live in Spain and have Irish granddaughters in Cork.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Brit in Paris...there is a benefit we would be concerned at losing...Job Seeker's Allowance for over 60s

John
Old Jul 5th 2018, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Splitpin is an unknown quantity at this point

There wouldn’t be a fear in loosing Jobseeker’s Allowance as it is means tested and once the habitual residency rule applies which it would in your case you wouldn’t be effected. Most irl & GB aggrements predate EU treaties.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Splitpin, we are retired Brits (well I am, but my beautiful Scots Bride is only 63!!) currently living in central europe and decided that we should move back to the UK due to the Brexit mess up....then we remembered beautiful Ireland and after jumping up and down with excitement when we saw that Brits in Ireland enjoy all the benefit as if they lived in the UK, a shadow spoiled our joy as we wondered what would happen to those Ireland / UK agreements after Brexit...would the same relationship still persist???
John
Old Jul 6th 2018, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Splitpin is an unknown quantity at this point

There’s no indications as yet that there will be any loss of benifits. Our Uk neighbours will still be our neighbours irrespective of EU policies. The Irish government departments are currently reviewing these very anomalies ie pensions , benefits , children allowances etc.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Old Jul 22nd 2018, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Coming in rather late, if I may, to piggyback on this thread. BIP, would being able to bring in a non EU spouse be affected from March 29, 2019, or after the two year transition (if indeed this is known at this time)?
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Perth
Coming in rather late, if I may, to piggyback on this thread. BIP, would being able to bring in a non EU spouse be affected from March 29, 2019, or after the two year transition (if indeed this is known at this time)?
After the end of the transition period although if there is a ‘no deal’ outcome, which is increasingly likely, then it’ll be 29 March 2019.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Also coming in late to the discussion as UK citizens (including spouse) currently living in the states. We probably would move directly to ROI after Brexit. My concern is if it matters we never had UK residency prior to moving, and if that would affect access to benefits such public healthcare.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

In recent days the tone from Ireland regarding Brexit has become threatening where the Prime Minister has been clearly stating the consequences that will be suffered by Ireland if a bad Brexit happens and the counter measures against Britain that have been threatened in consequence.

We are retirees seriously considering Ireland but are now becoming concerned that all the UK benefits that are currently enjoyed by Brits in Ireland will cease post Brexit...and more to the point,,, will all of this lead to anti-English feelings amongst the Irish with unpleasant consequences for Brits in Ireland... What thoughts??

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.