Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Brits in Ireland post Brexit

Brits in Ireland post Brexit

Old Jan 2nd 2019, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits in Ireland post Brexit

Originally Posted by BritInParis
When the UK leaves the EU then British citizens’ rights as EU citizens will cease. This includes freedom of movement. Non-EU spouses of EU citizens however enjoy the same rights as their EU citizen spouses. Therefore whilst your husband’s freedom of movement rights will cease post-Brexit, yours, as an Irish citizen, will continue and therefore your husband’s as well as your spouse providing you travel together.
The point about travelling together should present no problems for us but I am intrigued how it would work since my spouse would join the EU citizens queue and I would be in the others queue. We joke about being separated for the first time in 57yrs by the stupidity of it all but really I just hope it all fades away with the withdrawal of the letter in a couple of weeks.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 12:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
The point about travelling together should present no problems for us but I am intrigued how it would work since my spouse would join the EU citizens queue and I would be in the others queue. We joke about being separated for the first time in 57yrs by the stupidity of it all but really I just hope it all fades away with the withdrawal of the letter in a couple of weeks.
I suspect you’ll be disappointed but in your situation nothing is likely to change. You will just approach the EU desk together.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if Brits will start using Ireland as a stepping stone to other EU countries. What I have in mind is staying in Ireland long enough to apply for Irish citizenship then moving to the EU country of ones choice. As the only English speaking EU country it will have the advantage that any citizenship exams will be in a familiar language.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect you’ll be disappointed but in your situation nothing is likely to change. You will just approach the EU desk together.
Not been disappointed so far with the High Court, Supreme Court, ECJ and the acceptance by the 27 that we can stay if we want to.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I wonder if Brits will start using Ireland as a stepping stone to other EU countries. What I have in mind is staying in Ireland long enough to apply for Irish citizenship then moving to the EU country of ones choice. As the only English speaking EU country it will have the advantage that any citizenship exams will be in a familiar language.
5 years is the requirement to get citizenship and it must be continuous with various forms of proof.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
If Brits will be able to use Ireland as a stepping stone is questionable. People who are skilled and in full employment for 5 years might benefit (depending on outcome). Even then, unless they're retired or have enough money, they will still have to find a job in another EU country to make a living.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 12:30 pm
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice

Hello
We are thinking of retiring to the ROI in the near future from South Africa.
Ihave a full British passport and my husband has a German passport as we were both born in these countries.
Our adult sons have British and German passports by descent and South African passports by birth.

Both my husband and I and one son all have Irish PPS numbers if that makes a difference. Would we just arrive as if we already lived there? Will Brexit be an issue with our variety of passports .
Thank you

Old Mar 9th 2019, 4:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueffun
Hello
We are thinking of retiring to the ROI in the near future from South Africa.
Ihave a full British passport and my husband has a German passport as we were both born in these countries.
Our adult sons have British and German passports by descent and South African passports by birth.

Both my husband and I and one son all have Irish PPS numbers if that makes a difference. Would we just arrive as if we already lived there? Will Brexit be an issue with our variety of passports .
Thank you
No issues for any of you.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Bastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really nice

Hello, i have a full British citizen passport
and no irish ancestry so i am wondering is there a way i can move to Ireland before brexit or during the transition period if there is , and how long does it take for a brit to become an irish citizen so that one can continue having freedom of movement in EU
Old Mar 18th 2019, 2:57 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bastron
Hello, i have a full British citizen passport
and no irish ancestry so i am wondering is there a way i can move to Ireland before brexit or during the transition period if there is , and how long does it take for a brit to become an irish citizen so that one can continue having freedom of movement in EU
Under the CTA you have the right to travel freely, to live and to vote in the Republic, now and after any form of Brexit.
As previously mentioned, you would need to prove that you have lived in Ireland for five years to become a naturalized Irish citizen. See Citizenship by naturalisation
So, it's not a short-term plan, but it is a plan.......
Old Mar 18th 2019, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Bastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really niceBastron is just really nice

Originally Posted by macliam
Under the CTA you have the right to travel freely, to live and to vote in the Republic, now and after any form of Brexit.
As previously mentioned, you would need to prove that you have lived in Ireland for five years to become a naturalized Irish citizen. See Citizenship by naturalisation
So, it's not a short-term plan, but it is a plan.......
thanks alot, do you have an idea of any other eu country with a lower number of years in other to naturalise?
Old Mar 18th 2019, 3:20 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

thanks alot, do you have an idea of any other eu country with a lower number of years in other to naturalise?
You can famously "buy" your way in to some EU countries, given you have the cash, but I think most would require a similar term of residence before considering naturalization.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by macliam
You can famously "buy" your way in to some EU countries, given you have the cash, but I think most would require a similar term of residence before considering naturalization.
It is lower in certain countries if you have familial ties, such as a spouse, or meet other pre-conditions, but I’m not aware of anywhere where it’s less than five under ‘normal’ circumstances. It’s usually five to ten years depending on the country involved.

Ireland would certainly be the easiest option in terms of your right to residence, language and cultural barriers, finding employment, etc.. but I suspect it would just be simpler overall to move to the EU country of your choice on your British passport rather than spend five plus years spinning your wheels in Ireland.

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 18th 2019 at 4:21 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

It is lower in certain countries if you have familial ties, such as a spouse, or meet other pre-conditions, but I’m not aware of anywhere where it’s less than five under ‘normal’ circumstances. It’s usually five to ten years depending on the country involved.

Ireland would certainly be the easiest option in terms of your right to residence, language and cultural barriers, finding employment, etc.. but I suspect it would just be simpler overall to move to the EU country of your choice on your British passport rather than spend five plus years spinning your wheels in Ireland.
thanks Macliam
and BiP youve been of great help
Old Jul 29th 2019, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Not intending to keep resurrecting this informative thread, but things seem a bit worrisome lately (to me, anyway). With Boris Johnson now appearing willing to crash out of the EU by end of October, the Good Friday agreement guaranteeing citizens rights and benefits in both countries doesn't seem quite as solid. Boris has made noises about commitment to the agreement, but there's much unpredictability with him, in my opinion. The Irish prime minister also appears uncomfortable with the new situation.

With both of us having UK citizenship, we're still planning a retirement move to the ROI. We just hope things don't go downhill from here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.