Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Possible move from Malaysia to Ireland

Possible move from Malaysia to Ireland

Old Nov 21st 2018, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Shardy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible move from Malaysia to Ireland

Hello - I wonder if anyone can help. I am considering a move from Malaysia to Ireland. I have a UK passport and so does my daughter but my wife and stepson have Malaysian passports. Would they need a visa to come and live in Ireland or would they be able to just turn up with proof of our marriage to be allowed to stay?

Thanks for any insights!
Old Nov 21st 2018, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move from Malaysia to Ireland

Originally Posted by Shardy
Hello - I wonder if anyone can help. I am considering a move from Malaysia to Ireland. I have a UK passport and so does my daughter but my wife and stepson have Malaysian passports. Would they need a visa to come and live in Ireland or would they be able to just turn up with proof of our marriage to be allowed to stay?

Thanks for any insights!

Other EEA and Swiss citizens

If you are an EEA or Swiss citizen living in Ireland, then you have the right to bring certain family members to live with you here even if they are not themselves EEA or Swiss citizens. The main EU legislation at present is set out in Regulation No 1612/58 and Directive 2004/38/EC (pdf). The 2004 Directive is implemented in Ireland by the European Communities (Free Movement of Persons) Regulations 2015. You can find more information about these EU Treaty Rights on the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website.

Most of the EU law on free movement also applies to citizens of the other EEA countries – Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein. There are agreements with Switzerland which mean that Swiss nationals are treated in broadly the same way as EU nationals.

Residence rights of family members
Qualifying family members are:
Old Nov 21st 2018, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Shardy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move from Malaysia to Ireland

Fantastic - thanks very much!