Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

British expats in Ireland with Irish names

British expats in Ireland with Irish names

Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all
Default Re: British expats in Ireland with Irish names

just checked out that house mate, who in their right mind will pay that price? me for one!!! i know the house too, no.2 is the first one, and just at that house is or was a little laneway which lead to the bit of a farmyard where the lads who ran it had a huge big hoss. also i believe a coal yard was there too. and a parade of shops just before the houses had a barbers which i was dragged to once a year for me trim.
as for my cousins, funny thing was,when i got back to where i was staying during the holidays(after the break-in) and told my brother-in-law, he told me he knew who had broken into the car,and took me to smiths villas,off york road, to the house next door to my grannies old house. my cousins!!! i could be forced to tell you their names, ok, it was kane. thomas kane etc. they were the biggest load of thieves and vagabonds in the district bar none.
my brother-in-law joe,took me into the house,telling me to keep quiet(english accent see)while he did the talking to the godfather,thomas.
tom was very upset at robbing from one of his own and gave me some money to pay for the tapes that were stolen. found out later that his son,who had broken into the car,threw the tapes away over the railway line cos he didnt like johnny cash!!!
they were burnt out a few years later and went to london where they did very well indeed in the drugs trade. god bless free enterprise. got on facebook by mistake the other day and looked for blackrock, you should see the info that is on there, it may be of some use to you. i only hope property prices don't rise too much in the near future cos it could cost us our move(if we ever sell over here that is). maybe if i could find out where tommy kane is i could approach him for a million or two????? ole.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:32 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen this Mick

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Ive found a few of my family from 1911 including my grandparents in City Quay to my other grandparents in Belfast. Very interesting. That should keep you out of mischief for a while
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

just what i need to keep myself alert. i am going to search out my grandad and see what i can find. he was a great old fella,used to be head gardner on a huge estate in wicklow. thanks for the post.
thinking over the price of property in blackrock,wonder how much one of the flatlets in st.annes sq.would fetch today? i mean in my day when we lived there,you could nearly call them slums, not too far off. we never thought of them as bad,used to love sliding down the outside of the top terrace to the bottom. last time i saw the place(the year of the car burglary i call it) there were cars parked all over the place in the square. and nice ones too.
i am searching loads of engines for news of any of the lads who i used to mess around with in the 50's before i left the blessed isle for the land which will not be named!! mind you i loved it in manchester too, lived next door to uniteds ground,used to take bikes in on match days,six pence a go,if the mother wasn't in,we would fill the living room with them. no-one had a car in those days.
when you think back on how it was in those days to how it is now,it is nearly unbelievable to me how both countries have changed,and certainly not for the better. don't get me into my victor meldew mode,mate,there will be no stopping me. thanks again. if i remember anything interesting(miracle there) i will post you.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
No not at all. I drive a cab and get a lot of stick for my London accent but its all good natured. Having to explain why im there is becoming rather tiring though!
same in Canada, fed up saying why I am here!!!!!:
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Yea she works just next to St Anne's in a new development off Sweetman's Ave. Its next to the An Post depo and the entrance in is off Carysfort. There's some very old cottages across from their new building. Love it round there. My Belfast grandfather used to drive the 7 through there in the 50's/60's. My dad is from Bath Ave, Sandymount and my mum is from down by Francis St and The Coombe. My dad might remember some of the people and places you are talking about, hes 79 now. Believe it or not, he gave up 65 years of Senior Service fags last summer. He's like a cross between Victor Meldrew and Arnold Schwarzenegger, we wish he would start again! My lot are real Dubs where as my wife's lot are Mayo and Tyrone.
Beautiful Beautiful Mayo, love it and the people, would love to live there only for the expense and weather
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I remember him from the 80's. I saw Alex Higgins in Toddies bar in the Gresham watching the racing about 18 months ago. Funny enough, my granddad was William Hughes, my mum Pat Hughes. But they were a Belfast Hughes clan.
I knew a family of hughes from Belfast, chummed with an anne and bronagh hughes lived at finaghy, now I think the parents live in Donegal, I think they had a pools win years ago, I remember the mothers name was Maureen, can't remember all their names now, a lovely family, andy relative????
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
just what i need to keep myself alert. i am going to search out my grandad and see what i can find. he was a great old fella,used to be head gardner on a huge estate in wicklow. thanks for the post.
thinking over the price of property in blackrock,wonder how much one of the flatlets in st.annes sq.would fetch today? i mean in my day when we lived there,you could nearly call them slums, not too far off. we never thought of them as bad,used to love sliding down the outside of the top terrace to the bottom. last time i saw the place(the year of the car burglary i call it) there were cars parked all over the place in the square. and nice ones too.
i am searching loads of engines for news of any of the lads who i used to mess around with in the 50's before i left the blessed isle for the land which will not be named!! mind you i loved it in manchester too, lived next door to uniteds ground,used to take bikes in on match days,six pence a go,if the mother wasn't in,we would fill the living room with them. no-one had a car in those days.
when you think back on how it was in those days to how it is now,it is nearly unbelievable to me how both countries have changed,and certainly not for the better. don't get me into my victor meldew mode,mate,there will be no stopping me. thanks again. if i remember anything interesting(miracle there) i will post you.
I love your posts, I am from the north and was born in the 50's so I too remember the good old times, wish we had them back, when a community was a community and everyoone knew each other and looked for them. I know there were the nosies too, but sure was'nt it great setting them up !!!! everything has changed so much, now its all living up to the Jones, doors closed incase you get too close. Ah well progress I don't think it was all for the good but thats just my opinion
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

welcome to this thread mate. londonuck was despairing of getting anything going on here. i try to keep his spirits up(gin,vodka,whisky,brandy, you know what i mean??).
now lets get down to the nitty gritty. this family who won the pools, i am sure i am related to them, and if i am not, then i should be!!. where do they live, and i will send a begging letter and share. 'nuff said.
where abouts in the north are you from? little bit of info here:- i was born in blackrock in 1944, moved to england in 1958,joined the navy in 1960,left in 1971,lived in most parts of england until moving to spain about nine years ago now. am trying to sell up and move back to the "holy land".
the reason i ask about the north is that i did three tours in derry, hms sea eagle. absolutely loved the place to bits,the people were the nicest,livliest,and friendliest bunch of nutters i have ever met. the lads from sea eagle were treated as favourite sons,because the majority of them were irish,both north and south,and quite a few of them married local girls.of course when the troubles started,it changed but not by much. i met the rev ian and the blessed bernadette devlin,they came to the camp once when we opened a bar there and invited all the locals to the dance on a sunday(when everything else was closed). the eagles nest it was called and i met a girl in sheffield in the late 80's who used to go there and she said it was the best time for her and her mates.
during my time in sea eagle,the second tour if i remember correctly, we had an excercise at sea and i went aboard one of the RED HAND squadron, hms hardy i believe,for the exercise. when it was over,it was too rough to go back up the foyle to drop me off so they took me to greenoch,left me with 400 cigarettes in my handbag(!!!),no money,and said best of luck mate. i was with a fella called darryl wiley who called himself elvis cos lhe looked nothing like elvis. anyhoo,we had to sell our fags on greenoch station to get our fare,took the train to glasgow for the ferry to belfast. we had about ten bob between us and went into a dirty dark little bar on the docks for a half between us. it was full of little old scottish dears and they were over the moon with us(we were in uniform). treated us like lords and bought us drinks galore.
we staggered out in time to catch the ferry,ten bob still in pocket,when darryl spied some young americans backpacking. he told me he would get them into a game of poker and make our ten bob into ten quid. he was back in fifteen seconds,sans ten bob. great days.
like you said, wish they were back and that is not just nostalgia,it really was the best of times. take care mate......
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

welcome to this thread mate. londonuck was despairing of getting anything going on here. i try to keep his spirits up(gin,vodka,whisky,brandy, you know what i mean??).
now lets get down to the nitty gritty. this family who won the pools, i am sure i am related to them, and if i am not, then i should be!!. where do they live, and i will send a begging letter and share. 'nuff said.
where abouts in the north are you from? little bit of info here:- i was born in blackrock in 1944, moved to england in 1958,joined the navy in 1960,left in 1971,lived in most parts of england until moving to spain about nine years ago now. am trying to sell up and move back to the "holy land".
the reason i ask about the north is that i did three tours in derry, hms sea eagle. absolutely loved the place to bits,the people were the nicest,livliest,and friendliest bunch of nutters i have ever met. the lads from sea eagle were treated as favourite sons,because the majority of them were irish,both north and south,and quite a few of them married local girls.of course when the troubles started,it changed but not by much. i met the rev ian and the blessed bernadette devlin,they came to the camp once when we opened a bar there and invited all the locals to the dance on a sunday(when everything else was closed). the eagles nest it was called and i met a girl in sheffield in the late 80's who used to go there and she said it was the best time for her and her mates.
during my time in sea eagle,the second tour if i remember correctly, we had an excercise at sea and i went aboard one of the RED HAND squadron, hms hardy i believe,for the exercise. when it was over,it was too rough to go back up the foyle to drop me off so they took me to greenoch,left me with 400 cigarettes in my handbag(!!!),no money,and said best of luck mate. i was with a fella called darryl wiley who called himself elvis cos lhe looked nothing like elvis. anyhoo,we had to sell our fags on greenoch station to get our fare,took the train to glasgow for the ferry to belfast. we had about ten bob between us and went into a dirty dark little bar on the docks for a half between us. it was full of little old scottish dears and they were over the moon with us(we were in uniform). treated us like lords and bought us drinks galore.
we staggered out in time to catch the ferry,ten bob still in pocket,when darryl spied some young americans backpacking. he told me he would get them into a game of poker and make our ten bob into ten quid. he was back in fifteen seconds,sans ten bob. great days.
like you said, wish they were back and that is not just nostalgia,it really was the best of times. take care mate......
Thanks again and glad to participate, first though my name is Denise (a girl) and I hail from old Belfasts famous or imfamous Falls road, but moved to a posher area when I was 7 yrs. lived there until the troubles broke out (have to say up to then I loved Belfast) and met my future husband (a black prod) so we emigrated to australia and got married there!! Was really homesick so returned to Ireland in 1973, just as the troubles really got under way, had my eldest baby girl and 2 years later by son. Thats when we decided we had enough and emigrated to Canada in 1976. Stayed there 9 years, when my dad passed away and we went back home to be with my mum. She passed away 6 years ago, and we are now back in Canada (phew), But still miss my family (think there is a bit of the gypsy in me) We had a holiday home in Moville in Donegal just over the border from Derry, and I agree with you the Derry people are lovely, so are the people in Donegal, we lived for a short time in Dublin, but could'nt get work so had to go back north, but loved dublin and had a great time. I really miss the Irish humour there is nothing like it, its great we can laugh at ourselves too, not too many nations can I think.My daughter now lives in Cork with her husband and 3 kids and loves it, my grandsons now play gaelic, hurling, soccor, and speak with thick cork accents, I love it. If I could afford to live near them I would as I miss them terribly and I love Cork as well,Hope you get back to Ireland, I know how hard it is when you want to be home, its not easy. God bless for now keep in touch Denise
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:50 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
I knew a family of hughes from Belfast, chummed with an anne and bronagh hughes lived at finaghy, now I think the parents live in Donegal, I think they had a pools win years ago, I remember the mothers name was Maureen, can't remember all their names now, a lovely family, andy relative????
Allo Denise, sorry just saw this. No my Hughes were from outside Belfast, i got it wrong. They lived in Newtownards. My grandfather moved down to drive the 7 bus in Dublin many many years ago. Mind you, you mentioned a pools win... maybe we are related
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Allo Denise, sorry just saw this. No my Hughes were from outside Belfast, i got it wrong. They lived in Newtownards. My grandfather moved down to drive the 7 bus in Dublin many many years ago. Mind you, you mentioned a pools win... maybe we are related
just a thought, they did come from a big family so you never know stranger things have happened
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

er,denise, the number seven bus used to go past our house!!!! maybe we are all related?????
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

er,denise, the number seven bus used to go past our house!!!! maybe we are all related?????
If he was the postman maybe...but not the bus driver
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ye you just never know, that number 7 seems to have passed a lot of houses!!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:48 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Ye you just never know, that number 7 seems to have passed a lot of houses!!!!!
Yea he got lost a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.