Reload this Page >

Bought a house - ToR and general queries

Bought a house - ToR and general queries

Old Sep 10th 2021, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Boxerbmws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bought a house - ToR and general queries

Hello to everyone

I'm in process of buyuing a house in Tipperary - all my family are Irish and I automatically qualify for a passport which I've never actually took up.

My questions relate to moving my household contents over really and the Transfer of Residency.

Living in England I make assumptions that I automatically qualify for residence under the CTA agreements and the ToR forms are really only for 1 - people who don't qualify for CTA and 2 - if you want to transfer and so save the Duties and VAT on moving your possessions.

My other concerns about the ToR involves having to import my vehicles and change my driving license when I will be going backwards and forwards anyway and the cost of motor and motorbike insurance and road tax is extortianate to be honest - my pooor old 86 year old dad pays near 900e for a little car in inusrance ......... and I have a group 26 car :-) So I again assume I'll just have to take the import and VAT hit for my bits and pieces so my license and car registrations stay intact in the UK.

My other query concerns what my Irish friends tell me - they travel from Stranrar to Belfast and then just drive on down and they've never been bothered by customs anyway ........... that's what they tell me.

Best wishes to all

Any thoughts and experiences gratefully received.

Old Sep 10th 2021, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought a house - ToR and general queries

You're best bet is always the information stated here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-tr...om-the-UK.aspx
https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-...nce/index.aspx

Importing a vehicle from Great Britain (GB) or Northern Ireland

All motor vehicles imported from the UK into the State must be registered within 30 days of the date they first arrive. However, there are some exceptions. VRT is charged in most cases when a vehicle is registered in the State.

Importing a vehicle from Great Britain (GB)

From 1 January 2021 vehicles imported from Great Britain are liable to:
An electronic customs declaration will be required in advance of the vehicle arriving in the State.

What your other Irish friends tell you is irrelevant and you can always be stopped. We've travelled by Ferry to France for years and haven't been stopped but they can still stop you at any time.
You also have to be careful with car insurance. Once you are resident in Ireland could also mean that your insurance from the UK is not valid (depends on your terms and conditions).
In fairness €900 for an 86 year old is still OK and even in Germany you pay on average around 106% more than a 50 year old once you are over 85.

You can always get better deals if you add home insurance to the quote. The last quote (comprehensive) for my wife's car was something around €290 for a smaller 1.2 petrol (2018) and in our 40's.

Old Sep 10th 2021, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi there - thanks for the reply.

the very specific question referred to the fact I’m already entitled to live and work in Ireland automatically due to the 1922 and 1952 agreement between the two countries. Brexit didn’t and doesn’t alter that fact - it’s in the EU documents as it pre-existed the EU.

the ToR was just a side comment about import and VAT - it’s nothing like France due to the common travel area agreement 👍

best wishes
Old Sep 10th 2021, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boxerbmws

the very specific question referred to the fact I’m already entitled to live and work in Ireland automatically due to the 1922 and 1952 agreement between the two countries. Brexit didn’t and doesn’t alter that fact - it’s in the EU documents as it pre-existed the EU.

the ToR was just a side comment about import and VAT - it’s nothing like France due to the common travel area agreement 👍

best wishes
and VRT is not applied when you transfer residence anyway if you’ve owned the vehicle for over six months - it never has been 👍
Old Sep 10th 2021, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boxerbmws

best wishes
Of course any British person can move to Ireland and nothing has changed with VRT exemption but my point was based on your friends commenting they never get stopped by customs. You still have to declare if you have something to declare and I was just bringing France as an example because I never got stopped by customs there and it doesn't mean I'll never get stopped. As mentioned the bigger challenge is insurance and make sure you are actually covered until you have an Irish reg and Irish car insurance.
I'm sure it will all work out for you.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 10th 2021 at 9:52 pm.