Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

any others living long term in ireland?

any others living long term in ireland?

Old May 26th 2006, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any others living long term in ireland?

Originally Posted by Canada Bob
Bigger the dog more they can tolerate it, think of the sled dogs, they aren't all huskies, and some of them prefer to sleep out in -40C all night, if you feed them well they can cope with it... just don't try it with a 15lb dog...

Canada Bob.
My 19kg border collie would probably call the ISPCA HERSELF if we even thought about taking her out in such temperatures!

Mind you, this spoiled madam looks at us as if we're Cruella DeVil is we so much as suggest she should be going outside to do her thing if there's even a light frost on the grass!
Old May 26th 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Default Re: any others living long term in ireland?

Originally Posted by Canada Bob
Dog walking at -35 is a breeze, well for a decent sized dawg, mine was a Lab Retriever, weighing in at around 80lbs, so he had lots of mass to keep him warm, he never even flinched when it got so cold that the snow creaked as you walked on it, so cold there just couldn't be any dampness, it was more like walking on salt...

As for me... I had hiking boots on, ski pants, a ski type jacket with a hood, a neoprene face mask, ski googles and ice climbers neoprene gloves.

If you didn't have the face mask on you'd freeze your face within minutes, but geared up as above we'd be out for an hour or more...

The snow was really dry, I used to leap into snow drifts to hide from Sam, and I'd be covered in snow, but when he'd found me I'd climb out and the snow would just drop right off, and you'd be dry as a bone...

Worst weather we ever went out in was -42C with a wind chill that took it to
around -50C that was BAD... we didn't stay out long in that, around 20 minutes was well enough...

Bigger the dog more they can tolerate it, think of the sled dogs, they aren't all huskies, and some of them prefer to sleep out in -40C all night, if you feed them well they can cope with it... just don't try it with a 15lb dog...

Canada Bob.

Yeah, ours is a Lab too. I think some of the bigger dogs have problems with cold paws - my colleague's Rottweiler even suffers for it but it's not too bad at all. Canadians look at me strange when I say that it feels colder in England 'cos it's so much damper! I had 2 scarves one round my face and one for neck and 2 pairs of gloves, 2 pairs of socks and legging under my trews but I didn't need much more. We had - 70 one day with wind chill and my sons hood kept blowing down with the wind so he ended up with pretty sore ears! I love the way the snow sparkles with the ice crystals - almost magical!