Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

After a few basics please

After a few basics please

Old Dec 11th 2005, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Default Re: After a few basics please

Originally Posted by Batty
Hi SQ

I'm actually Irish - only left in June this year. Sorry about the 44% - I remembered afterwards that it was 42%. The Children's Allowance has always been called that - never child benefit. Maybe the 'newbies' call it that but not the natives. Yes, the average industrial wage is 30k but you do get a tax free allowance and people on lower wages pay very little, if any, tax. I know it changed a couple of years ago but don't know the details. One of the reasons I was glad to leave was the high cost of living - we had a very small mortgage but had to commute 5 hours a day to work because we couldn't afford to buy a house closer to Dublin. You're right, it's a great place to live if you have money (like the rest of the World I suppose) but being poor over there isn't pretty. I remember a classic one liner from an 'Inner city' Dublin woman once when there was a discussion about the Celtic Tiger - "Celtic Tiger? We're not even a stripe on its arse!" LOL
A good comparison of taxes across the world is a term called Tax Freedom Day. Unfortunately Canada does very badly but Ireland does pretty well. There's talk of Canada maybe lowering the taxes slightly as elections are coming up, but it's still very depressing knowing that it gets to June before you even start earning money for yourself! Sniff, sniff! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Freedom_Day for UK, Canada and US and http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0504/S00263.htm for NZ, Ireland and Australia.

Last edited by crazydaisy; Dec 11th 2005 at 5:06 am.