Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

advice on moving to galway

advice on moving to galway

Old Aug 26th 2012, 7:59 am
Just Joined

galmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice on moving to galway

We will shortly be moving to Galway and would really appreciate some advice on areas to live and schools. My husband will be working at the university. Can anyone recommend some good areas to start looking for houses to rent? Is there much availability? Is Galway a nice city to live in, or is it better to commute? We will also need a primary school for our 7yr old... I have no idea where to start, thanks in advance.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:27 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all
Default Re: advice on moving to galway

Originally Posted by galmum
We will shortly be moving to Galway and would really appreciate some advice on areas to live and schools. My husband will be working at the university. Can anyone recommend some good areas to start looking for houses to rent? Is there much availability? Is Galway a nice city to live in, or is it better to commute? We will also need a primary school for our 7yr old... I have no idea where to start, thanks in advance.
Salthill is a good area to live in. One can drive to the University in 30 minutes to 45 minutes with traffic depending on time of day.
Galway is a great place to live in. There are lots of primary schools in Galway city. You will find being Catholic (or pretending to be) will help you get your child into a good school.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:00 am
Just Joined

galmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. Is it normal for rental properties to be fully furnished? We are moving from France where all the properties are completely unfurnished so we have a lot to bring with us, and I'm finding it difficult to find an unfurnished house.
Also does anyone have experience of educate together primary schools? And is it possible to attend a catholic school if you are not catholic, does it just mean that you are further down the list for being entitled to a place?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:34 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by galmum
Thanks for the advice. Is it normal for rental properties to be fully furnished? We are moving from France where all the properties are completely unfurnished so we have a lot to bring with us, and I'm finding it difficult to find an unfurnished house.
Also does anyone have experience of educate together primary schools? And is it possible to attend a catholic school if you are not catholic, does it just mean that you are further down the list for being entitled to a place?
Most of the schools in Galway are Catholic, so you would need to at least pretend to be in order to get your child in.
There are also mixed schools, but generally they are not as good academically. Catholic schools wont take a child unless you are Catholics.
Most houses would be furnished, but you will also find unfurnished ones too with cheaper rent as a result.
Rent.ie and daft.ie are the two best websites.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Most of the schools in Galway are Catholic, so you would need to at least pretend to be in order to get your child in.
There are also mixed schools, but generally they are not as good academically. Catholic schools wont take a child unless you are Catholics.Most houses would be furnished, but you will also find unfurnished ones too with cheaper rent as a result.

Not sure I agree with the above.
On the whole all primary schools (called National schools) are Catholic schools. Any child can attend such a school whether they are Catholic or not. The non-Catholic child would probably be encouraged to participate in the religious studies but would not be forced to attend Church.

An alternative may be a local Gael Scoil if available. Some English parents prefer these schools because they are usually non-denominational. Potentially the disadvantage, if you view it that way, is that lessons are carried out in the Irish language.

Once you move to secondary education you have two choices, first there is the church run schools. Here, non-Catholic pupils are allowed to abstain from religious classes and church activities. The alternative is a 'Community College' which although is Catholic influenced are Council schools not Church schools. If you hope that one day your child/children will go to University your child would need to have a pass in the Irish language. Attendance at a Gael Scoil would ensure this. If you would like your child to go to an English uni. they can opt out of Irish lessons in secondary schools.

My daughter, a non Catholic attended a Catholic primary school from the age of 9 years until 13 and then went to a Convent secondary school. She subsequently obtained a good degree from Manchester University. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:25 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

There are also mixed schools, but generally they are not as good academically. Catholic schools wont take a child unless you are Catholics.
Most houses would be furnished, but you will also find unfurnished ones too with cheaper rent as a result.
I do wonder sometimes what planet you are living on.
By law schools are not allowed to discriminate against non-Catholic religions in their entry policy.
When my kids went to Primary school there were Muslims,Jews and Protestants in attendance.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Cuthbert Rizla;10252463]I do wonder sometimes what planet you are living on.
By law schools are not allowed to discriminate against non-Catholic religions in their entry policy.
When my kids went to Primary school there were Muslims,Jews and Protestants in attendance.[/QUOT

What about Plastic Paddies - can they pretend to be Catlicks? Can't pretend to be a Jew or a muslim as a genital inspection may uncover the deception. No foreskin - no good.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
When my kids went to Primary school there were Muslims,Jews and Protestants in attendance.
I live on an island called the Banana Republic. Our masters sold it to the EU.
I pity your kids.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:23 am
Banned

[QUOTE=sickntired;10253149]
When my kids went to Primary school there were Muslims,Jews and Protestants in attendance.[/QUOT

What about Plastic Paddies - can they pretend to be Catlicks? Can't pretend to be a Jew or a muslim as a genital inspection may uncover the deception. No foreskin - no good.
Living in little Brazil is getting to you by the looks of it.
I don't care what everyone says though, I think Roscommon is all right.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Sean MacMaghnuis;10254594]
Originally Posted by sickntired

Living in little Brazil is getting to you by the looks of it.
I don't care what everyone says though, I think Roscommon is all right.
I think Gort is little Brazil. Roscommon is more like little Poland.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:20 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Sean MacMaghnuis;10254592
I pity your kids.[/QUOTE]

Why ?
Because their father didn't spend years on the dole sponging off the state ?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:23 pm
Banned

Why ?
Because their father didn't spend years on the dole sponging off the state ?
A man goes into a pub and orders a pint.
He says to the barman; did you hear the joke about the Roscommon man?
I warn you, I am from Roscommon myself, says the barman.
That's OK says the man, I will tell it slowly..
Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:36 am
Account Closed

A man goes into a pub and orders a pint.
He says to the barman; did you hear the joke about the Roscommon man?
I warn you, I am from Roscommon myself, says the barman.
That's OK says the man, I will tell it slowly..
The gene pool is not very large in Roscommon - which obviously creates its own problems.

Also in times of recession a lot of the smart young people emigrate and we are left with the rest. This has a knock on effect for years to come. There are a lot of uneducated people in Roscommon but they are cute hoors for sure.