ChewChew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for an Anglo moving to Cork

Originally Posted by Thegreatescape14
"ctrl alt 4" one problem solved
€ €€ €€€€€€€€€€

Just practicing.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChewChew
I'm sure people are just trying to make sure I am properly prepared for how hard things could be moving from one country to another, and it's good to be realistic. Saying that, I am optimistic after speaking to job agencies and visiting Cork, seeing how nice it is and how friendly the locals are.

I am looking at the city centre as I don't drive and would rather not set myself up for a lengthy commute by public transport. I was originally looking at max E800 per month but someone suggested that I would have more chance getting a decent property if I upped it a bit.

I really need to figure out how to get the Euro sign right.

I created a thread in boards.ie for advice and it was quite helpful.
You'll always hear different opinions, so best find out yourself. It's just the constant moaning gets on my nerves. Like everywhere you pay a premium to live in city centre, but if you're willing to take a 30min commute you'll get something for less. Overall Ireland is a great country, but it's not the UK, so comparing won't work.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You'll always hear different opinions, so best find out yourself. It's just the constant moaning gets on my nerves. Like everywhere you pay a premium to live in city centre, but if you're willing to take a 30min commute you'll get something for less. Overall Ireland is a great country, but it's not the UK, so comparing won't work.
I'm with you on the moaning. Slightly off topic, but we have a few at work who hate their jobs and tell anyone about it whether they want to hear it or not. Poisonous to the morale of everybody else.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Thanks if that is for me. I am looking at around city centre of Cork for jobs (I've been led to believe this will be best and prefer a town/city setting anyway seeing as it's nothing like London). An employment agency has told me my CV is good so I will check in with them and a couple of others when I go next. I've been advised that I can expect a salary of at least E25,000 per annum and to look at rents of up to E900/month for something halfway decent.

I'm glad to see someone has a positive experience as some of the things people tell me can be a bit doom and gloom.

Thanks again for wishing me luck (unless you were wishing it someone else on here) and I hope your luck and happiness continues.
Looks like half of your monthly salary is going to eaten up with rent.

Tax Calculator Ireland 2012
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrhappygolucky
Looks like half of your monthly salary is going to eaten up with rent.

Tax Calculator Ireland 2012
I know.

For the first two years I won't be eligible for any in work benefits or subsidies so will really struggle but I'll try to save at least £3,000 for the move (bringing minimal stuff with me so I don't have to use a haulage firm), then hopefully if I'm careful with my budget I will be okay.

Will be worth it in the end though, I'm sure.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

I know.

For the first two years I won't be eligible for any in work benefits or subsidies so will really struggle but I'll try to save at least £3,000 for the move (bringing minimal stuff with me so I don't have to use a haulage firm), then hopefully if I'm careful with my budget I will be okay.

Will be worth it in the end though, I'm sure.
Yes it will be worth it in the end. You deffo need some "rainy day" money for unforseen expenses. A lot of people turn up here and expect the red carpet treatment, ie dole money, council house etc, and it is those people who need to be enlightened.

Good luck.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrhappygolucky
Yes it will be worth it in the end. You deffo need some "rainy day" money for unforseen expenses. A lot of people turn up here and expect the red carpet treatment, ie dole money, council house etc, and it is those people who need to be enlightened.

Good luck.
Thanks for wishing me luck, I will need it. That link was handy too.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

itisitis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for wishing me luck, I will need it. That link was handy too.
Hi

Did you ever make the move to Cork? I am in a very similar situation - visiting Cork at the moment with my daughter to find out a bit more and get a feel for some of the different areas! I had originally thought of moving outside of Cork city however now that we have visited I'm thinking it might be better to move to the city - to begin with at least! It is beautiful here and my daughter loves it also
Old Dec 29th 2014, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by itisitis
Hi

Did you ever make the move to Cork? I am in a very similar situation - visiting Cork at the moment with my daughter to find out a bit more and get a feel for some of the different areas! I had originally thought of moving outside of Cork city however now that we have visited I'm thinking it might be better to move to the city - to begin with at least! It is beautiful here and my daughter loves it also
Hi,

My savings aren't what they should be so I'm thinking I will have to wait longer to move. I wouldn't dream of moving without some back up.

This website is useful : Moving to Ireland , Living in Ireland - Jobs, Removals, Shopping , Mortgages, Broadband, Insurance

Also, try boards.ie, I got loads of useful information on there. Without knowing your exact situation I wouldn't like to personally give you any advice except save a fair bit of dosh. Good luck, let us know how you get on if you get a chance.