about to emigrate

Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:02 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: about to emigrate

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Love Enniscrone! Shame that Atlantic Bar is gone. Used to enjoy a pint in there after a red faced stroll down the beach. My wifes family are from Ballina.
Yeah .. someone knows the little place! Yes, it is a shame it is gone. Walshes (changed hands again though and can't remember the name) opposite the Church is not a bad place as an alternative. Mind you, Ballina has a much better selection.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

mortip is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grumpy ray
My wife and I are in the process of emigrating to Co. Mayo. We have offers accepted on our house and one near Knock. We have been researching our emigration for nearly 2 years. I receive a retirement pension while my wife is currently a senior nurse, but is hoping we can live off my pension when we move. We have no dependants except 2 German Shepherd dogs. While in Mayo recently buying a house we opened a bank account with Bank of Ireland and got a solicitor. I am hoping someone can give us any tips relating to our impending move. One thing which concerns me is that we currently have a VW camper van(1982 reg) and a Daihatsu Sportrack. One of these will have to be sold before we move. I would like to keep the van because of its space but am concerned by the NCT. An advice web site said that the test is extremely difficult to pass, while some Irish people recently told me it wasn't that bad. If the van were to fail, can I drive it home to arrange repairs etc like in the UK? I've looked at the possibility of buying a used estate car after we move, but the prices are a lot higher than the UK. Any tips would be greatfully appreciated.
www.oasis.gov.ie

The web site above will give you a lot of information about moving to Ireland. On cars VRT is high here but if you relocate from outside the country and have owned the vehicle for over 6 months then its exempt.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

grumpy ray is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: about to emigrate PT2

Hello again folks....The very latest update on our move which has been a roller-coaster of emotions, is that our solicitor in England has been given tomorrow(13th March) as a date to exchange contracts, and 26th March as a competion date. It is a great relief as the sale in Ireland has been waiting for us to complete here. At one point we were under pressure from the Irish estate agent telling our solicitor that unless we completed soon we would lose the house as other potential buyers were showing interest. It looks like that was probably a bluff. Over here we had delays caused by our buyer getting a cheap high-volume solicitor on the internet who was very slow and kept asking stupid questions. Hopefully, touch wood, we will receive a phone call tomorrow from our English solicitor telling us we have exchanged. We have had loads of boxes provided by our removal firm which have not been packed as we did not want to tempt fate. I have however had a good clear-out and had trips to the tip, and sold stuff on E-Bay. Now it's going to get quite hectic. Any tips about last minute things would be useful. I have a check list of who to inform. Our Bank of Ireland account is now set up for 365 online banking and I've transferred funds into it. It looks like my wife will have to return here after we've moved to work her notice. She's a nurse and will be giving one month's notice tomorrow all being well. We will be taking my camper van and leaving her car here to allow her to get to work, but she will be bringing it later. I am hoping that when I arrive I can hand over the VRT forms I have already completed to the local veh. taxation office having only brought over the camper. I know that the camper's reduced taxation rate is subject to having a 2nd veh. but don't know if the 2nd veh. has to be physically in the country right from the start. I will also have to sort out European insurance cover to cover a short period until we can change to an Irish insurer. Gotta go now, things to do. Hope to check back in before long. Will keep you updated, but my next messgae may come from Ireland. Ray
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

grumpy ray is an unknown quantity at this point

No turning back now. We've sold our house and are out by 26th. Contract in post from ireland. Would have flown over but my wife is back on nights on Fri and we can't get a flight for love nor money over next couple of days-something about a bloke called St. Patrick?

Ray
Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grumpy ray
No turning back now. We've sold our house and are out by 26th. Contract in post from ireland. Would have flown over but my wife is back on nights on Fri and we can't get a flight for love nor money over next couple of days-something about a bloke called St. Patrick?

Ray
Next year you'll be out there watching the parade and waving your little flag with the rest us!

I hope the move goes well for you and you have a wonderful life in Ireland. I've been here for two years now and I couldn't be anywhere else.

And the Guiness tastes marvelous too!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with the move Ray.

When you're checking out motor (and house) insurance, 123.ie is a good starting point, also http://www.brittoninsurance.com