about to emigrate

Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

grumpy ray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default about to emigrate

My wife and I are in the process of emigrating to Co. Mayo. We have offers accepted on our house and one near Knock. We have been researching our emigration for nearly 2 years. I receive a retirement pension while my wife is currently a senior nurse, but is hoping we can live off my pension when we move. We have no dependants except 2 German Shepherd dogs. While in Mayo recently buying a house we opened a bank account with Bank of Ireland and got a solicitor. I am hoping someone can give us any tips relating to our impending move. One thing which concerns me is that we currently have a VW camper van(1982 reg) and a Daihatsu Sportrack. One of these will have to be sold before we move. I would like to keep the van because of its space but am concerned by the NCT. An advice web site said that the test is extremely difficult to pass, while some Irish people recently told me it wasn't that bad. If the van were to fail, can I drive it home to arrange repairs etc like in the UK? I've looked at the possibility of buying a used estate car after we move, but the prices are a lot higher than the UK. Any tips would be greatfully appreciated.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Default Re: about to emigrate

Originally Posted by grumpy ray
My wife and I are in the process of emigrating to Co. Mayo. We have offers accepted on our house and one near Knock. We have been researching our emigration for nearly 2 years. I receive a retirement pension while my wife is currently a senior nurse, but is hoping we can live off my pension when we move. We have no dependants except 2 German Shepherd dogs. While in Mayo recently buying a house we opened a bank account with Bank of Ireland and got a solicitor. I am hoping someone can give us any tips relating to our impending move. One thing which concerns me is that we currently have a VW camper van(1982 reg) and a Daihatsu Sportrack. One of these will have to be sold before we move. I would like to keep the van because of its space but am concerned by the NCT. An advice web site said that the test is extremely difficult to pass, while some Irish people recently told me it wasn't that bad. If the van were to fail, can I drive it home to arrange repairs etc like in the UK? I've looked at the possibility of buying a used estate car after we move, but the prices are a lot higher than the UK. Any tips would be greatfully appreciated.
Thanks to Andrew63 for the reply re the NCT. Just been looking at other threads on site and got some good info. particularly the hints and checklist link. One specific question: w'eve been given a quote for removals by a UK firm. I've see na couple of web sites for Irish firms who say they will transfer either way. I was going to get quotes from them the nearer we get to a moving date. Has anyone got any advice re good firms please?
Great friendly site by the way .

Ray
Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:57 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move Ray
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:32 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move. I am from Enniscrone. If you have not been there yet, it has a fab 3 mile beach and a world famous golf course. If you are feeling really brave, you can try out the seaweed baths there as well.

I am sure you will have a very peaceful retirement there.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:38 am
Just Joined

janmcevoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ray

The problem with your van, as I see it, is going to be the cost of running the thing when you get here! Once it gets to thirty years old,its going to be exempt from the NCT but, until then, you're also going to have to tax and insure it here and both tax and insurance are more and more expensive, depending on the size of the engine.Once it gets to thirty, it is exempt and you can also insure it cheaply but ONLY if you have a second car that's conventional, at least that's been my experience with the 'vintage' car insurance companies. If you've owned it for some time, you'll only have to pay the few hundred they charge to re-register cars in Ireland. If you've only recently acquired it, they charge according to the value of the car, which can be pricey. My advice would be to run it on your British plates and insurance (most cover trips to Europe automatically) and tell anyone who queries it that you travel equally between England and Ireland. A friend of mine did this for several years! Not strictly legal perhaps...

Anyway, welcome to Ireland (when you get here)! I live in Co. Sligo so we'll almost be neighbours... Jan
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

ukjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

We seem to have a lot in common - I'm retired, moving to Mayo and own a campervan but you're a bit more advanced than me. My house here is on the market and as soon as it goes I'll be straight over to buy over there. From the info. I have, Motorhomes/Campervans are exempt from NCT and there is also reduced Motor Tax of 78 euros. See www.boards.ie Campervan/motorhome forum. Did you have problems opening a Bank A/C I thought you needed a permanent address before they would let you have one.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: about to emigrate

Thank you all for your replies. It appears I can now be able to help others: re opening bank account. You don't have to live in Ireland to open one. We had no trouble opening an account with Bank of Ireland. I had looked at their web site for info see link:- http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws....html#doclink2.
With that info. I went with 2 recent utility bills, passports and driving licences to Clifden branch of Bank of Ireland( and opened an account in less than 30 mins. I also took a recent bak statement to be safe. Most of that was taken up with chatting with the very friendly girl who dealt with us who herself had emigrated from the UK.She didn't even ask for a deposit but we put €50 in anyway. As my wife and I had opened a joint account they needed a utility bill with her name on which fortunately I had. On their web site they referred to a character reference from our bank. Before we went, our bank(Barclays) said they had never heard of it and didn't provide them. Bank of Ireland never referred to any references.
Re the camper: I will check out the link provided. thanks. I didn't know about the special thing re campers. I know that any veh. I have owned for at least 6 months prior to moving is exempt from VRT, but I have to apply for it by the end of the next working day after our move. I certainly don't want to risk breaking the law and upsetting the Garda in our new country. We think we will probably have to rent after selling our house as things are moving swiftly with our sale, but really slow in Ireland. Fortunately my wife has a colleague who has offered use of a static caravan. We would have to pay for furniture storage but at least we would have the money for it. Thanks again for all your help and support, it is very reassuring we have friends during this stressful period. UK John: any further help you need let us know.
With love from Ray and Judith (surrently sick with 'flu)
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

ukjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your replies. It appears I can now be able to help others: re opening bank account. You don't have to live in Ireland to open one. We had no trouble opening an account with Bank of Ireland. I had looked at their web site for info see link:- http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws....html#doclink2.
With that info. I went with 2 recent utility bills, passports and driving licences to Clifden branch of Bank of Ireland( and opened an account in less than 30 mins. I also took a recent bak statement to be safe. Most of that was taken up with chatting with the very friendly girl who dealt with us who herself had emigrated from the UK.She didn't even ask for a deposit but we put €50 in anyway. As my wife and I had opened a joint account they needed a utility bill with her name on which fortunately I had. On their web site they referred to a character reference from our bank. Before we went, our bank(Barclays) said they had never heard of it and didn't provide them. Bank of Ireland never referred to any references.
Re the camper: I will check out the link provided. thanks. I didn't know about the special thing re campers. I know that any veh. I have owned for at least 6 months prior to moving is exempt from VRT, but I have to apply for it by the end of the next working day after our move. I certainly don't want to risk breaking the law and upsetting the Garda in our new country. We think we will probably have to rent after selling our house as things are moving swiftly with our sale, but really slow in Ireland. Fortunately my wife has a colleague who has offered use of a static caravan. We would have to pay for furniture storage but at least we would have the money for it. Thanks again for all your help and support, it is very reassuring we have friends during this stressful period. UK John: any further help you need let us know.
With love from Ray and Judith (surrently sick with 'flu)
Bank info. very interesting. What about removal costs - I'm being quoted between £1600 and £4000 + storage. Also solicitor's fees - it seems the usual charge is 1% but to shop around. What was your experience with these 2 items? Ray, don't you think these forums are great. have you tried www.newtotown.ie
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

For John...I have been quoted £3000 approx. by a large local firm to emigrate. Storage costs would be extra. I intend to get a couple more quotes, but only when we get nearer a move. It looks likely that we are going to have to rent before moving to Ireland. Our sale appears to be moving along although we don't have a completion date yet. The Ireland side is moving very slowly. There does not seem to be any hold-up, other than the general laid back slowness of Ireland. I have seen some web sites for Irish removal firms who move either way, but think the best bet is going to be an English firm, as we will more than likely be renting in England and storing furniture here. We have the possibility of the loan of a static caravan near where we currently live. If we were no nearer a moving date to Ireland my wife would continue to work, and let our money earn interest and pay for storage costs. Great news about my camper van. I have confirmed the subsided road tax, as long as we keep the car, and have had it confirmed by the Irish govt. dept.that motor caravans are exempt from the NCT. Looks like we'll be taking it after all. I have had a quick glance at the web site you mentioned. It looks interesting and is in my favourites. Very busy at the moment, looking after Judith(my wife) who has bronchial pneumonia, and has just come out of hospital, and Florence(my 1 yr old german shepherd) who had just had a hysterectomy. I don't know how I keep my sanity.

Ray
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

For opening bank accounts there maybe problems from certain branches. For instance we went into one branch AIB maybe and they said we would need proof of a PPS number (ie they wanted to actually see the letter from the social security office with the number on it and our address in Ireland.) This was on top of recent utility bills which we didn't have as we had just arrived! We then went down to the social security office and lo and behold they also wanted proof of residence by looking at our Irish utility bills! We went down to the Bank of Ireland branch and were told the exact same thing ie PPS numbers/Irish utility bills would be needed. Eventually we got it sorted once a couple of bills came in. Maybe our branches in the Galway area are just more strict!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
For opening bank accounts there maybe problems from certain branches. For instance we went into one branch AIB maybe and they said we would need proof of a PPS number (ie they wanted to actually see the letter from the social security office with the number on it and our address in Ireland.) This was on top of recent utility bills which we didn't have as we had just arrived! We then went down to the social security office and lo and behold they also wanted proof of residence by looking at our Irish utility bills! We went down to the Bank of Ireland branch and were told the exact same thing ie PPS numbers/Irish utility bills would be needed. Eventually we got it sorted once a couple of bills came in. Maybe our branches in the Galway area are just more strict!
I have lived in Ireland 36 years and had the same problem when I tried to open a savings a/c last week in different bank, I told her I was giving her money not looking for it-- made no difference. Its something to do with all the bad press over the past few years of money in off shore accounts.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

paulbds is an unknown quantity at this point

Grumpy,
My only comment would be is to buy a new property and avoid the stamp duty. I know that not everyone likes new but maintenance is kept low.
That is what I did when I bought my holiday home.
Now, slightly OT, I am looking for a good Broadband supplier and I am very tempted by imagine.ie. They are offering 20 hours BB per month, phone rental and cheap calls for the grand sum of €9.99 a month which seems a bargain. ( I have no connection with the company(pun not intended!)). I will need to get Aan Eircom connection for a month to active the line tho' in the first instance.
BTW, location is Wexford
Paul
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulbds
Grumpy,
My only comment would be is to buy a new property and avoid the stamp duty. I know that not everyone likes new but maintenance is kept low.
That is what I did when I bought my holiday home.
Now, slightly OT, I am looking for a good Broadband supplier and I am very tempted by imagine.ie. They are offering 20 hours BB per month, phone rental and cheap calls for the grand sum of €9.99 a month which seems a bargain. ( I have no connection with the company(pun not intended!)). I will need to get Aan Eircom connection for a month to active the line tho' in the first instance.
BTW, location is Wexford
Paul
Hiya Paul
I'm with Imagine, and its fine. But I think you may have the price wrong
The line rental is €24.18 per month, then €9.99 for your phone calls (anytime) and your 20 hours broadband, so that's about €35 a month, which is still a good price.
I have the "always on" broadband (extra €9.99 per mth), and my bill per month is about €65-€70, that's with a good few calls to mobiles (as only national calls to other landlines are covered by that €9.99 package!)
You can call them and see if Wexford is covered by them yet.

Cheers

Annie
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:17 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Good luck with your move. I am from Enniscrone. If you have not been there yet, it has a fab 3 mile beach and a world famous golf course. If you are feeling really brave, you can try out the seaweed baths there as well.

I am sure you will have a very peaceful retirement there.
Love Enniscrone! Shame that Atlantic Bar is gone. Used to enjoy a pint in there after a red faced stroll down the beach. My wifes family are from Ballina.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:23 am
Just Joined

paulbds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shears
Hiya Paul
I'm with Imagine, and its fine. But I think you may have the price wrong
The line rental is €24.18 per month, then €9.99 for your phone calls (anytime) and your 20 hours broadband, so that's about €35 a month, which is still a good price.
I have the "always on" broadband (extra €9.99 per mth), and my bill per month is about €65-€70, that's with a good few calls to mobiles (as only national calls to other landlines are covered by that €9.99 package!)
You can call them and see if Wexford is covered by them yet.

Cheers

Annie
Annie, sorry for delay in replying -just got back from Wexford last night. -Yes, it seems I do have it wrong - -I will go and have alook at other packages althought I do notice that the prices are comming down all the time.
It will be better than traisping off to Whites Hotel and using their connection!
Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.