Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Wardrobe for Tuscany in early October

Wardrobe for Tuscany in early October

Old Aug 16th 2002, 5:51 pm
Circe

Default Wardrobe for Tuscany in early October

Just wondering what to pack for our trip. From what I've read, it looks like daytime
temperatures are generally in the mid 60's to mid 70s with a good deal of rain. We'll
be there from Sept. 28 to Oct. 8. Is it worth it to bring any short-sleeved shirts
and shorts, or should I plan on pants and long sleeves for everyone? I do plan to
layer, bringing a sweater and rain jacket for everyone, but I'm trying to determine
how light the bottom layer should be.

Any advice welcome.
--
Be well, Barbara (Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"The only problem with babies is they don't keep worth a darn." -- My Mom

Old Aug 16th 2002, 7:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wardrobe for Tuscany in early October

Originally posted by Circe:
.... I'm trying to determine how light the bottom layer should be. ...
It depends, in part, how warm it has to be for you to wear shorts and t-shirt.

I am from the UK and I would take shorts and T-shirt and expect to get some wear out of them in Tuscany in October. However you might find the locals have decided that it is cool enough to wear a coat by then.
Old Aug 17th 2002, 3:51 am
M

Its not a bad idea to pack a few short sleeve shirts, with those you can layer them
and could be sorry you didn't bring them if you hit a real warm day. For shorts,
perhaps one pair but doubt you'll use them. Lightweight slacks would be the
general attire.

Old Aug 17th 2002, 5:59 am
Mark Fagan

Go to www.weather.com, enter a town where you're
going and click on "go". When you get to the forecast, click on "Averages and
Records". From that screen click on "Oct", you will then get a day-by-day list of
average temps, high, low, etc., as well as sunrise/sunset.

"Circe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
net.att.net
    > Just wondering what to pack for our trip. From what I've read, it looks
    > daytime temperatures are generally in the mid 60's to mid 70s with a good deal of
    > rain. We'll be there from Sept. 28 to Oct. 8. Is it worth it to bring any
    > short-sleeved shirts and shorts, or should I plan on pants and long sleeves for
    > everyone? I do plan to layer, bringing a sweater and rain jacket for everyone, but
    > I'm trying to determine how light the bottom
layer
    > should be.
    > Any advice welcome.
    > --
    > Be well, Barbara (Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)
    > "The only problem with babies is they don't keep worth a darn." -- My Mom

Old Aug 17th 2002, 7:16 am
Judith

"Circe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
net.att.net
    > Just wondering what to pack for our trip. From what I've read, it looks
    > daytime temperatures are generally in the mid 60's to mid 70s with a good deal of
    > rain. We'll be there from Sept. 28 to Oct. 8. Is it worth it to bring any
    > short-sleeved shirts and shorts, or should I plan on pants and long sleeves for
    > everyone? I do plan to layer, bringing a sweater and rain jacket for everyone, but
    > I'm trying to determine how light the bottom
layer
    > should be.
    > Any advice welcome.
    > --
    > Be well, Barbara

Plan on long pants, but not heavy. Socks, yes. We are already wearing them in the
AM and evening. A Tshirt that is snug enough to go under things is great, because at
noon to 3 you can wear it alone on good days, and pop a shirt or sweater over when it
isn't warm. I normally would have a sweater tied around my shoulders or a big scarf
just in case it gets chilly before I get home. Nights are cold already, so knit
jammies or sleeved nighties are in order. The possibility of heavy rain is there, or
alternately it might be sunny the whole time. The light in October is miraculous.
Like liquid gold. Sunblock is wise all year here. Even in January the sun on a cold
day can be brutal. I can't figure out why the sun is so strong here. Skin cancer is
up 30% in Italy over the last decades.

Old Aug 17th 2002, 12:00 pm
Gerald

> Just wondering what to pack for our trip. From what I've read, it looks like
    >> daytime temperatures are generally in the mid 60's to mid 70s with a good deal of
    >> rain. We'll be there from Sept. 28 to Oct. 8. Is it worth it to bring any
    >> short-sleeved shirts and shorts, or should I plan on pants and long sleeves for
    >> everyone? I do plan to layer, bringing a sweater and rain jacket for everyone, but
    >> I'm trying to determine how light the bottom
    >layer
    >> should be.
I've had 0 for 19 days of daytime rain in Oct. in the past couple three years.

DAytime temps with sun seem to be in the high 70's to mid 80's frequently.

Only been in Montalcino, Florence, Chianti, & Pisa in Oct. Lots of other parts of
Tuscany. Montalcino is much cooler than Florence.

Old Aug 17th 2002, 1:05 pm
Cynthia

"Circe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
I would lean more toward the long sleeves and trousers school of thought, although no
one can of course predict the weather. Remember that Tuscany has various elevations,
if you are staying at a higher elevation it will be rather cool at night.

Cynthia www.smilingeggplant.com

Old Aug 17th 2002, 6:00 pm
Rick Garner

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:51:27 GMT, "Circe" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just wondering what to pack for our trip. From what I've read, it looks like daytime
    >temperatures are generally in the mid 60's to mid 70s with a good deal of rain.
    >We'll be there from Sept. 28 to Oct. 8. Is it worth it to bring any short-sleeved
    >shirts and shorts, or should I plan on pants and long sleeves for everyone? I do
    >plan to layer, bringing a sweater and rain jacket for everyone, but I'm trying to
    >determine how light the bottom layer should be.
    >Any advice welcome.

My suitcase always has a pair of cototn pants that the legs zip off to make nice
shorts not matter where I'm traveling to. Rick Garner To email replace the nospam
with isomedia

Old Aug 17th 2002, 6:45 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

And I remember a great week before Xmas in Napoli when I was in T shirt and shorts, just be prepared, October in Tuscany can be very warm indeed or alternatively very cool.
Old Aug 17th 2002, 10:20 pm
J Coulter

newstartnz <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> And I remember a great week before Xmas in Napoli when I was in T shirt and
    > shorts, just be prepared, October in Tuscany can be very warm indeed or
    > alternatively very cool.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

And just to be sure it can be both. When I was in Verona in early October I needed to
buy a jacket (mine was occupying space in the lost and found in Zavendam airport in
Bruxelles) a week later we were glad our car had ac.

Old Aug 17th 2002, 11:45 pm
The Oik

"j coulter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > And just to be sure it can be both. When I was in Verona in early October
I
    > needed to buy a jacket (mine was occupying space in the lost and found in Zavendam
    > airport in Bruxelles) a week later we were glad our car had ac.

the joys of growing up in the UK - never without a warm layer AND a rain jacket....
just something you learn there!

Old Aug 18th 2002, 8:34 pm
Todd

Both this and the last repsponse about the "liquid gold" of the sun in October are
very exciting to hear. I'll be in Cinque Terre on a photo assignment the third week
of October and was hoping to meet with just these conditions.

"gerald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

> I've had 0 for 19 days of daytime rain in Oct. in the past couple three years.
    > DAytime temps with sun seem to be in the high 70's to mid 80's frequently.
    > Only been in Montalcino, Florence, Chianti, & Pisa in Oct. Lots of other parts of
    > Tuscany. Montalcino is much cooler than Florence.

Old Aug 18th 2002, 9:30 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Todd:
Both this and the last repsponse about the "liquid gold" of the sun in October are
very exciting to hear. I'll be in Cinque Terre on a photo assignment the third week
of October and was hoping to meet with just these conditions.

"gerald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

> I've had 0 for 19 days of daytime rain in Oct. in the past couple three years.
    > DAytime temps with sun seem to be in the high 70's to mid 80's frequently.
    > Only been in Montalcino, Florence, Chianti, & Pisa in Oct. Lots of other parts of
    > Tuscany. Montalcino is much cooler than Florence.
You won't be on your todd
Old Aug 19th 2002, 11:47 am
Barbara Vaughan

Todd wrote:
    > Both this and the last repsponse about the "liquid gold" of the sun in October are
    > very exciting to hear. I'll be in Cinque Terre on a photo assignment the third
    > week of October and was hoping to meet with just these conditions.

Late October is very unpredictable. You could also find pea soup fog instead of
liquid gold sunshine.

Barbara